Turned off AFM yesterday..

Fianlly got tired of it kicking in and making the truck chug so thought I would turn it off and see how the truck does. For those of you that turned your AFM off what kind of fuel mileage changes did you see or was it about even?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fianlly got tired of it kicking in and making the truck chug so thought I would turn it off and see how the truck does. For those of you that turned your AFM off what kind of fuel mileage changes did you see or was it about even?

How did you get it turned off and what was the cost? My AFM has gotten highly annoying with chugging and constant in-out.

Mine stayed the same,didn't change at all.

Which means that the system reverts to 8 cylinders almost all the time and stays in the 4 cylinder mode only when going downhill with a very strong tailwind.

How did you get it turned off and what was the cost? My AFM has gotten highly annoying with chugging and constant in-out.

I'm having mine turned off with a custom tune from BlackBear performance. There are a couple of handhelds in the market that have the capability to turn it off; although Blackbear is going to give you the best bang for your buck.

Obviously nothing wrong with Blackbear as there are lots of satisfied customers on this board. I didn't do the Blackbear as I am prone to trade and for me a handheld tuner seemed to make more sense as my main motive for tuning was to turn off AFM and that if I return one vehicle to stock I could use it on another.

I went with the Diablosport Intune. As far as the handhelds are concerned it seemed to provide the most bang for the buck. It comes with canned ECM tunes but also allows TCM control where you can turn off torque management, change shift firmness, shift RPM's etc. for our GMT900's. Lots of the handhelds don't do this. If you want to spring for the expense there's a guy at Diablo that will have you data log your truck and will develop a specific tune for your vehicle. I haven't done this but I think it costs $100-$150 above the cost of the tuner.

As far as I can tell gas mileage is unchanged with AFM off. One thing with my tuner, it seems like the truck doesn't downshift and stays in higher gear when pulling uphill vs stock. The main benefit is that it acts like a V8 vehicle is supposed to. I don't have that hesitation from V4 to V8, and overall drivability is improved. If you do decied to go with the Intune tuner I found that autoanything.com was the least expensive place to buy and I looked for months.

Good luck with whatever you decide. If you do have the AFM turned off either with Blackbear or with a tuner, I don't think you'll regret it.

I've had mine turned off since my truck had 2000 miles on her. I will never go back to DOD or AFM! Truck runs so much better. All what others have said is true, improved driveability, no hesitation/etc. I purchsed the DiabloSport Predator tuner and I love it! My gas mileage has pretty much stayed the same as well. If I could have ordered my truck without AFM I would have in a heartbeat!!! I have a 2010 GMC Sierra SLT "All Terrain" 5.3L / 6L80E / 3.42 rear-end with the G80. I usually get 21mpg out of it. The best was 24.7mpg.

Leaving AFM turned off is the ONLY way to go!!!

Daniel

Also I did not feel the engine valve train would last with AFM, saying around 200,000 miles. I plan on running my truck to the ground. I have a 1995 K1500 Silverado 5.7L / 4L60E / 3.42 rear-end with 223,000 all original miles, drive her everyday. wanna do the same with my 2010 GMC Sierra, having AFM off I believe she'll last longer. Anyhow this is how I feel about it!

Good to know, so far it feels great. Not one moment of chugging today. Like said though for who asked you will either to get it removed either via someone like Blackbear or a handheld tuner or like I did which is via HP Tuners. I already had HPT so all I had to do was purchase my tune credits and tune mine out myself.

I don't seem to have any problems that I have noticed with mine.

I did notice that I will be cruising down the highway at 65mph and in the V-4 mode getting 34mpg and then the slightest hump in the road it goes to V-8 mode getting 17mpg.

I would think if they made it not so sensitive that it would stay in V-4 mode a little longer and the truck would get better mileage overall.

I am going to have to pay attention to see if i have any hesitation when accelerating or if I notice anything else.

I have the 3.73 rear end so I don't think my mileage is going to get anywhere near what you guys are getting. Now I average on very good tank. 19.....Most of the time I get about 17.

I don't mind the AFM on my '07. But I have noticed that since I got it, the truck seems to coast farther when I'm off the throttle. My truck will gain in speed going downhill on even the smallest grade. I have always figured it was the AFM since I have 4 cylinders doing engine braking instead of 8. So for those that have turned the AFM off, do you notice the engine braking more or does your truck coast as much as it did before you turned it off?

Obviously nothing wrong with Blackbear as there are lots of satisfied customers on this board. I didn't do the Blackbear as I am prone to trade and for me a handheld tuner seemed to make more sense as my main motive for tuning was to turn off AFM and that if I return one vehicle to stock I could use it on another.

I went with the Diablosport Intune. As far as the handhelds are concerned it seemed to provide the most bang for the buck. It comes with canned ECM tunes but also allows TCM control where you can turn off torque management, change shift firmness, shift RPM's etc. for our GMT900's. Lots of the handhelds don't do this. If you want to spring for the expense there's a guy at Diablo that will have you data log your truck and will develop a specific tune for your vehicle. I haven't done this but I think it costs $100-$150 above the cost of the tuner.

As far as I can tell gas mileage is unchanged with AFM off. One thing with my tuner, it seems like the truck doesn't downshift and stays in higher gear when pulling uphill vs stock. The main benefit is that it acts like a V8 vehicle is supposed to. I don't have that hesitation from V4 to V8, and overall drivability is improved. If you do decied to go with the Intune tuner I found that autoanything.com was the least expensive place to buy and I looked for months.

Good luck with whatever you decide. If you do have the AFM turned off either with Blackbear or with a tuner, I don't think you'll regret it.

Blackbear has a handheld (Autocal) that's leaps and bounds over Diablowsports programmers

Blackbear has a handheld (Autocal) that's leaps and bounds over Diablowsports programmers

Yeah I know....Blackbear's Autocal is very good. I just didn't have a budget that big. My main goal was to get the AFM off.

Archived