6.0 vs. 8.1liter engine

Thanks.

I got a question about engine oil. On the oil cap, it says to use 5w30. How important is it to use 5w30? Why does it say to use such a thin oil in this type of truck?

What causes you think 5W30 is a thin oil? That is a very old wives tale that holds no water.

A 0W30, 5W30 and 10W30 oil all have a similar viscosity at engine operating temps (100C/212F rating). The #W number reflects it's flow characteristics when cold (0C/32F rating).

When i was talking to ray from 'raylar'after i had the cam installed, I was asking about oil/fuel.. he told me he never understood wh gm says to put 5/30 in the 8.1 he told me to run 15/40.

Edited by Sierra35008.1

I run 0W40 in mine. I drive in -20F to +105F so the 0W40 works great for me. It also seems I go thru a little less oil with the 40 weight on the high side.

DEWFPO

• 3 years later...

The 8.1 motor is very strong, uses about a quart of oil every 2000-3000 miles. The gas mileage is around 8-11, but when towing, it will not drop too much. The 6.0 uses about a quart every 4-5000 miles, mileage ranges from 12-15, but when towing it will drop to 6-10. The Ally transmission only came with the 8.1 or D-Max. The 6.0 came with the 4l80, and the new ones come with the 6L90( it's a 6 speed, and some think its a Ally, but it is not). The 8.1 also came with a beefed up 4L80 called a 4L85. Good luck.

Hi.whats house/power via 8.1 L ?

And Torque?

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A8-50LC using Tapatalk

• 3 years later...

I was thinking of getting a 6.0 gmc that had 72k miles on it. I took it for a test Drive and once I reached about 65-70 mph I would hear rattling in the engine bay and the check engine light would be flashing. The guy told me that it was back firing and I said that’s Bs I don’t think it is. Would anyone know what exactly would be making that sound cause I have a few theories just not sure.

Edited by Shawn Beltran Therrien

• 6 months later...

GM big blocks are 70's technology with looser tolerances than new engines like the LS series. Loose engines don't seal as well, so they use more oil, that's about it. 300+ horsepower in a truck used to be amazing, now the LS begins at that rating, and they're derated from the factory. A lot of folks tow very successfully with the stock 6.0/4.10 combination. Add an aftermarket tune and the stock 6.0 will easily make 350 horsepower and 400 foot-pounds of torque. That should be plenty of power for civilian use. So what if it can't keep up with a Diesel dually full-time tow vehicle, the 6.0/4.10 is an all-around truck. It can tow or haul most of what folks need.

Unrelated Diesel versus LS opinion:

My nephew, and the guy I bought my 2500HD from, both swear by Diesels. They're "young" and want to tow at 70 or 80 mph whether it's safe, legal or whatever, no matter the cost. I almost bought a used F-250 SuperDuty 7.3. Took one look at the rebuild cost of a 7.3 and couldn't believe my eyes, ran down the street screaming LOL. One injector costs $600, and there are eight! Transmissions that sit behind Diesels are the same, very expensive to repair. Of course, you get what you pay for. Taken care of, a Diesel truck drivetrain will last 1,000,000 miles without a major repair. An LS-based truck probably won't get one-third that much use before a complete rebuild. But the average guy won't get near that much with his truck. If he does, he can rebuild the whole drivetrain for $5000 easy.

On 3/17/2013 at 4:13 PM, memory1 said:

Tell me if this is true. I was just told that a 2500HD is considered the same as a 3500 SRW and a 3500HD is considered a 4500. What are the differences between the 2500HD and the non HD 3500? I am talking years 2007 and earlier.

The 2500HD and 3500 share the same frame, but the 2500HD has a Corporate 14 bolt with 10.5 inch ring gear.