2005 5.3 Vin B slight miss or twitch at idle

woods95662

Question

My truck just recently developed what feels like a slight miss in gear at idle. It's random there isn't any consistency to it and the idiot light isn't coming on. It drives fine, has good power, and the gas mileage hasn't changed. I just did plugs, wires, and air filter. No change. The RPM's don't seem to really change when it happens or if it is it's very slight. I find a lot of people having the same issue but no solutions. Some have recommended cleaning the TB and MAF which I'm going to try next but for most that doesn't seem to resolve the issue. I have also seen some mention of motor mounts but I don't honestly think that is it. Any suggestions?

14 answers to this question

I don't blame you one bit brutha .... I'm about to go that same route!

Good advice too ... :cheers:

2 can Seafoam induction cleaner time.

Clean the throttle body & mass airflow sensor at this time too.

New AC Delco O2 sensors would be a fuel saving improvemnt too, IF they are the originals.

Goodluck.... :happysad:

JS I'm in the same boat the interior noise quite frankly pisses me off. It's BS that a 35k truck makes that much noise driving down a slightly uneven road. My buddies Tundra's don't do it. I don't know about the newer Chevy's but if stuff like that isn't fixed the next time I'm ready to buy a truck this will be my last Chevy purchase as well.

The idle issue at 100k I can deal with as long as I can fix it.

I cleaned the MAF and TB and it seemed to help a little. I'm going to do the O2 sensors next.

What's the "2 can SeaFoam" I keep hearing about? I found the stuff on the internet.

I'd scan for codes anyway. See if your getting a lean code or random misfire. Definitely try cleaning the TB, probably could use it anyway

Check

Fuel pressure

Intake issues is of course the first thing that came up but I would think that it would be a constant problem if it were the intake. Like it has for others it comes and goes and it's not doing whatever it's doing constantly every engine cycle. It's every few seconds when it's occuring. It doesn't hesitate or take off any different than when it was new it's just annoying. I noticed it a few months back when it was very slight and figured it just needed a tune up since it was approaching 100k. It became more pronounced as time went on. I did a tune up it didn't make it any better. I'll scan for codes too.

IMHO there is no such thing as a 100K tune up interval. On every car I have ever owned (Fords, Hondas, Chevrolets,etc.) I usually tune up at 60K to 70K and you would be surprised how much better the motor runs.

However, if it is thottle body or something else it will not go away just by changing plugs.

I've always followed manufacturer specs unless conditions warranted something sooner ie towing or what not. I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel. The truck runs the same after the tune up like I said.

Mine has done that since roughly 5k miles or so. Just a slight, random, twitch of the engine you can feel in the cab.

Back in the day, richening up the idle a hair , or a tweak of the distributor, or just cap, rotor, plugs, & wires would smooth them right out. With computers controlling everything but the driver (at least for now ...) today, you just have to accept this as ... "progress".

It's aggravating. I have that at idle, then incessant squeaks and rattles when the truck is moving. It's amazing I've grown accustomed to it. It serves to inform my passengers to never buy a GM vehicle .... because that's what they all say after the first 5 minutes in my $30k truck.

But I digress yet again .... :M16:

get 'er out of ya JS,,,,,, ,get 'er out

grab ear lobes,,,,,,

close eyes,,,,,,,

breath deep.....

say "woosa woosa woosa ".....

drink beer .....

repeat !!!!!

look at my profile and see what i drive lmao !!!! and im a tech !!! ...was...

Archived