03 Yukon P0141 & catalytic converters

My 03 Yukon started throwing a P0141 code and I replaced the drivers side downstream O2 sensor. Still throwing codes. I will be pulling the new O2 sensor to check it out but in the meantime any suggestions if it checks out ok ? I read on here could be the cat converter ?? Thanks in advance

P0141 2003 GMC YUKON V8 4.8

HO2S12 Heater Performance
– The ECM detects that the HO2S internal resistance is not within the expected range for more than 4 seconds

Probable Cause

1. Open or short circuit condition
2. Poor electrical connection
3. HO2S sensor
4. ECM fault

Thanks for replies, how do i test the cats to determine if they are bad? The truck seems to be running fine by the way. I would guess if the cats were plugged, I would notice some change in performance ? What are your options as far as getting rid of the converters all together? I do not have smog laws where I live so I could care less if I have converters provided CEL is not on.

It may be the cats time. I'm at 113k and have had both cats go on me

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

Took another look at the O2 sensor and low and behold the pink wire was worn through from contact with the crossmember close to the fuel composition sensor. The pink wire ( + O2 sensor heater ) wire was cut completely and the negative was worn halfway through about 2 inches from the connector to the O2 sensor. The + wire looks like it has been rubbing for a while and I can't believe it did not blow the fuse before the wire broke

After doing searches and basis above comments i'm surprised at the volume of folks that have had to replace their catalytic converters. Personally i've never replaced a cat or known of anyone that has had to.

Hope this saves someone some time / frustration. Seems like the newer these things get, the more electrical bullsh?t

you have to go through. I'm lucky, if the break were halfway up the harness towards to computer, i would have never had the time or patience to find it .

That's why you have a cat checked before you simply replace it. The wiring should have been checked prior to replacing the original O2 sensor. BTW, cats can and do fail. They fail for a variety of reasons. Just because you haven't personally heard of it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Glad you got it taken care of

Archived