Why do I agree to work on P.O.S. cars?

aflesch

The timing belt in my neighbor's son's `01 Dodge Neon broke last week (interference engine). Me being the nice guy that I am said I would fix it for $1200 including the $650 in parts. 5 hours in to this job I remember why I would always stick the newbie with Chrysler engine work. They are the most impossible to work on pieces of crap ever made. The Dodge trucks are actually not bad to work on but the cars are so poorly thought-out that you can't get to anything. As an engineer and former ASE Master Tech I just can't believe that an entire team of engineers don't put any forethought into maintenance. And who thought it would be a good idea to put a timing belt on an interference engine in the first place? I guess someone finally had that idea because the 2.7L DOHC V6 does have a chain but the book time to do a water pump on that engine is 9 hrs! Come on Chrylser get your S@*# together. Give me a Ford or GM to work on any day but F* Chrylser!

Sorry for the rant.

Have a nice day.

-Adam

My buddy was saying the same thing about replacing the water pump on his daugthers sunfire. He told me took something like 8 hours to get to the water pump

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Yikes! 8-9 hours for something that is not much of a step above 'routine' maintenance. Can you say engineer(s) who don't get out of the office enough? Or they were told by a penny counter to do it the wrong way....

Yikes! 8-9 hours for something that is not much of a step above 'routine' maintenance. Can you say engineer(s) who don't get out of the office enough? Or they were told by a penny counter to do it the wrong way....

The latter!

Its because we are nice guys that try to help out others! And for the most part we don't want the same people to get bent over a barrel. It does get old sometimes, hopefully the guy upstairs will look down and take pity on me and let some of my misdeads go by!

Archived