Oil Cooler lines and Transmission Cooler Lines Leaking

I just bought my 09 Sierra Z71 Crew two weeks ago with 86,000kms. I went into a the dealer for a oil change to find out that both my oil and transmission cooler lines are leaking at the crimps on the fittings. The surprising fact is that they aren't covered under powertrain warranty. Is my dealer full of shit or is this actually true. I have powertrain warranty until Sept 2014.

It doesn't appear like I am the only one to have these lines leak, but what are you guys doing to fix, just replace the lines with gm ones or get some new ones made up from a local hydraulic line manufacture? I know from my 98 Chev, there were aftermarket ones that were better in design and didn't leak near as often.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just bought my 09 Sierra Z71 Crew two weeks ago with 86,000kms. I went into a the dealer for a oil change to find out that both my oil and transmission cooler lines are leaking at the crimps on the fittings. The surprising fact is that they aren't covered under powertrain warranty. Is my dealer full of shit or is this actually true. I have powertrain warranty until Sept 2014.

It doesn't appear like I am the only one to have these lines leak, but what are you guys doing to fix, just replace the lines with gm ones or get some new ones made up from a local hydraulic line manufacture? I know from my 98 Chev, there were aftermarket ones that were better in design and didn't leak near as often.

I would recommend that you contact GM of Canada at 800-263-3777. The hours of operation are M-F 7:30am - 11:30pm, Sat 7:30am - 6:00 EST. Please feel free to keep me posted or contact me with further questions. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

I spoke with Crystal-Lea from your customer service office, she mentioned that cooler lines were ever covered until the 2010 model year. Which confused me even more. My quote to replace both were over $1100 with parts and labor.

I spoke with Crystal-Lea from your customer service office, she mentioned that cooler lines were ever covered until the 2010 model year. Which confused me even more. My quote to replace both were over $1100 with parts and labor.

That's interesting, my dealer said the lines were only covered on the bumper to bumper warranty on my 08, quoted me over $300 for just the one trans cooler line!

I didn't know it was this common. I just had my tranny cooler line replaced last weekend and was 325 with labor. Only have 40000 on truck, seems like they should last longer than this. Has there ever been a bulletin put out about this from GM? It seems to me that if its this common GM should step up and do something about it.

Don't use the GM junk and pay that ridiculous amount of labor either. A monkey can change either the engine oil cooler or the transmission ones for that matter. Dorman replacement lines last just as well as the factory crap and are a fraction of the cost. But realisitically the only real way to fix them is to ditch the crimp on pot metal fitting for something as simple as a regular old hose clamp. Leaks are gone forever.

When the engine grenaded in my old 09 2500 it was still under powertrain warranty but not bumper to bumper. The dealer changed the transmission cooler lines at that time as well and it not covered by the powertrain warranty.

Just had them replaced (in January) on my '09 Silverado crew cab Z71 4x4 (5.3V8 LC9, 6-speed auto), covered by the then-expiring bumper-to-bumper warranty. From what I understand, they are not covered by the subsequent powertrain warranty. WOW, I did not know the AC Delco replacements cost that much--thank goodness I got them replaced under warranty. They started 'sweating' at the crimps about a year ago, and then progressed to dripping. I'd guess this is a trouble area for GM, as my last car, a '96 Impala SS, did the exact same thing! The service tech said it is not supposed to leak with any type of oil/fluid, but running full synthetic oil (like I was running Pennzoil Ultra at the time) may have made the oil cooler lines drip a little more than if I was running convention dino oil. Since then I have switched to Pennzoil Gold semi-synthetic in the hopes of lessening any potential future leaks, which is the same thing I had to do in my old Impala, which seemed to help lessen its leaking troubles.

• 3 weeks later...

Folks,I have a 2009 GMC sierra Z71 - 72,000KM. I just got all three trans cooler lines complete at my local (non GM dealer) garage with NAPA connectors and crimps (way better than the GM crap).... total price 160.14. GM wanted 434.... guess what I told my local GM dealer he could do with his price as well as the GM associate :0)). My oil cooler lines are also leaking and I will be going to get them replace next month....

Way to much money ,and they will leak again Trust Me !!!

Mine were leaking when the truck went to the dealer to have manifold gaskets replaced under warranty, i only had one line leaking, they called me to tell me the gaskets were all set but my transmission line was leaking, would be $300 to have them fix it, i said no thanks ill take care of ityself, then they told me that because i declined to have it fixed if anything was to ever happen to my tranny it would no longer be under warranty.

Archived