2nd to 3rd gear A/T shift flare? 2011 2500HD 6.0L

Hello,

Has anyone else noticed that when your truck is cold/1st start of the day that rpm's flare when the transmission shifts from 2nd to 3rd gear? This happens on my 2011 2500HD(since new, currently only 9000 miles on it) and also a co-worker who has a 2012 Silverado 1500 also has the same complaint. He brought his to the dealer and they were indeed able to verify the issue but said that they had never seen this issue before. The service dept. called Tech Line and they said that they know of the issue but have no fix for it at this point and time...??

Is anyone else experiencing this or have had a solid diagnosis/answer/fix from theIr dealer?

Thanks,

-John

This is an old TSB number, #09-07-30-004B but it probably changes up for the newer years if you want to search it.

My old 09 2500HD 6 liter truck did it too..... 4 different dealers basically told me to F@ck off even when I brought along the TSB showing that there is a condition for it and how they can go about repairing it. Pretty sad that even in the 6th year of production they still can't figure out how to make a 6 speed transmission that shifts decently and doesn't flare..... Typical GM. Good luck.

Edited by Notamember

Hello,

Has anyone else noticed that when your truck is cold/1st start of the day that rpm's flare when the transmission shifts from 2nd to 3rd gear? This happens on my 2011 2500HD(since new, currently only 9000 miles on it) and also a co-worker who has a 2012 Silverado 1500 also has the same complaint. He brought his to the dealer and they were indeed able to verify the issue but said that they had never seen this issue before. The service dept. called Tech Line and they said that they know of the issue but have no fix for it at this point and time...??

Is anyone else experiencing this or have had a solid diagnosis/answer/fix from theIr dealer?

Thanks,

-John

John,

I would have to recommend that you contact your local dealer as well. They can document your concern for you as well as help with a diagnosis. Keep me posted and feel free to contact me if you need additional assistance. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

Hello,

Thanks,

-John

Yes, I too have had same problem on my 2011 2500HD 6.0. Currently, I have approx 13,600 miles on it. My dealer couldn't duplicate the problem, so basically said it didn't exist. If they called Tech Line or any type of GM support, I was not informed.

I have to agree with Notamember"s post above. I had the same problem on my '09 2500HD as well. Actually, it seemed to be more often than my '11. The dealer could not verify my claim and I do not know if they checked with Tech for this problem then. Pretty sad for a $40,000.+ truck.

I have an aftermarket exhaust on my "11 and when it flares everyone can here it! It sounds like I missed the shift. I thought the downshifting on the '11 was also a bit sluggish on hills, but that too was dismissed by my dealer. If they can't duplicate the issue it doesn't exist. Nothing like believing the customer.

Best of luck to you.

• 2 months later...

I haven't noticed a rise in RPM, but when cold that shift from second to third is kinda stiff. I thought it was the trans shifting with the converter locked, but it doesn't lock the converter until later (after it warms up).

I read about this before, and the lack of a dealer concern; so I'm not even going to waste the time taking it in until there is an actual fix. Its got to be programming. I know I complained about how long this 12 holds a gear (it actually lugs), and was told that it was an updated programming from previous years to prevent gear hunting/early downshifts.

My 08 has the same shift flare, I had the TSB reprogram done when I was still working in the service dept. It did not make any diffrence, after the reprogram. I have a superchips programmer that has shift point adjustments, that did not help it either. Only positive thing is it does not flare when pulling a load, it just seems to be a common condition with our 6L90's.

It's not a reprogram to fix the flare. At the bare minimum it's some o-rings in the valvebody that are directional and likely installed backwards. Or just bad, one or the other. Very few dealers want to do it and yes the flare gets worse with time.

• Like 1

So someone who assembles the transmissions at the factory doesn't know how to properly build the transmissions because mine has done it from new/1 mile...

-John

It's not a reprogram to fix the flare. At the bare minimum it's some o-rings in the valvebody that are directional and likely installed backwards. Or just bad, one or the other. Very few dealers want to do it and yes the flare gets worse with time.

Oh, and thanks for the info Notamember. I'm sure the service advisor will/would look at me cross eyed if I suggest this as the problem... Looks like until GM issues a service bulletin we are all S.O.L.! :(

-John

So someone who assembles the transmissions at the factory doesn't know how to properly build the transmissions because mine has done it from new/1 mile...

-John

And this surprises you how? Lol.

Oh, and thanks for the info Notamember. I'm sure the service advisor will/would look at me cross eyed if I suggest this as the problem... Looks like until GM issues a service bulletin we are all S.O.L.! :(

-John

Here is the description and it has changed up to at least "E" from "A" so it should include stuff newer than listed below.

Bulletin No.: 09-07-30-004A

Date: April 21, 2009

Subject:

Flare and/or Harsh 2-3 Shifts (Install Three Fluid Seal Rings)

Models:

2007-2009 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT

2007-2009 Chevrolet Silverado

2008-2009 Chevrolet Suburban

2009 Chevrolet Avalanche, Tahoe

2007-2009 GMC Sierra, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL Denali

2008-2009 GMC Yukon XL

2009 GMC Yukon

Equipped with 6L80 (RPO MYC) or 6L90 (RPO MYD) Automatic Transmission

Supercede:

This bulletin is being revised add replacement of the Torque Convertor Housing/Fluid Pump Seal. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 09-07-30-004 (Section 07 - Transmission/Transaxle).

Condition

Note

Vehicles built before September, 2008 are more likely to have leaking fluid seal rings.

Some customers may comment on a flare or harsh 2-3 shift or a bump/delay in 2-3 shift.

Cause

This condition may be caused by leaking 1-2-3-4 and 3-5-R clutch fluid seal rings. The following conditions are indications that the fluid seal rings may be leaking.

- Delayed/extended or delayed with harsh feel initial Park to Drive and/or Reverse to Drive shifts that are more likely to occur when the transmission temperature is below approximately 40°C (104°F).

- Harsh or flaring 2-3 shifts that are more likely to occur when the transmission fluid temperature is in the approximately 0°C (32°F) to 40°C (104°F) temperature range, but can be present at any temperature.

- Harsh 2-3 shifts that are more likely to occur at less than 50% throttle pressure.

Correction

Important

DO NOT replace the transmission control valve body, transmission control module (TCM) or transmission fluid pump cover assembly.

1. Verify the customer's concern with the described conditions above. Then replace the 1-2-3-4 and 3-5-R clutch fluid seal rings.

2. Remove the transmission assembly from the vehicle. Refer to Transmission Replacement in SI.

3. Remove the transmission oil pan. Refer to Automatic Transmission Fluid, Fluid Pan and/or Filter Replacement in SI.

Notice

When removing the transmission control valve body, discard the O-ring seals and install new seals, GM P/N 24236927. Failure to install control valve body O-ring seals may cause internal transmission leaks and transmission damage.

4. Remove the transmission control valve body. Refer to Control Valve Body Assembly/Removal in SI.

5. Remove the transmission bell housing /fluid pump. Refer to Torque Converter Housing with Fluid Pump Removal in SI.

Notice

The three clutch fluid seal rings are required to be installed in a specific way. Failure to install new clutch fluid seal rings may cause internal transmission leaks and transmission damage.

6. Inspect and remove the three clutch fluid seal rings (1). Install new pump rings, GM P/N 24238248. Refer to 1-2-3-4 and 3-5 Reverse Clutch Fluid Seal Ring Installation (6L80/90) in SI for correct installation.

7. After completing the repair procedure, a Service Fast Learn Adapts procedure must be completed. Refer to Service Fast Learn Adapts in SI for procedure details. After completing the Service Fast Learn Adapts procedure, the vehicle may still experience some minor driveability issues but should learn improved shifting performance over the next several key cycles and driving time. Review with the customer the facts about the transmission's ability to self-correct shifting issues or concerns. The transmission adapts are always functional and operate at transmission oil temperatures about 40°C (104°F).

Parts Information

Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use the table above

I highlighted in red where it explains the importance of direction.

Edited by Notamember

My 1500 has done the same since new but now that it is warmer it doesn't happen. I need to try and monitor trans temp to see if I can figure out how cold it needs to be for it to happen.

On my 2008 2500hd 6.0 I had the same problem. Dealer said it was Orings and replaced them under warranty (this was in 2009). The fix didn't help and I just learned to live with it until I sold it. My 2012 doesn't do it. Seems fine.

My '10 has issues shifting from 2 to 3 as well. But, I'm not sure if I'd call it a flare; that's why had started the other thread before reading this one. Like I put in my other thread, when it shifts from 2 to 3, it sounds like I'm driving a manual and you slowly let out on the clutch. The RPM needle just barely increases but not much at all(maybe that's the "flare"). Mine has done it since I've had it. Doesn't matter if outside temperature is cold or hot. Doesn't matter if the engine/tranny is cold/hot. It always does it. In the 10,000 miles I've driven it(16,000 miles to 26,000 miles currently), twice it did not do it and shifted "normal".

Edited by 97whitez71

• 5 years later...