Oil Pan Drain Plug Torque

Could someone kindly tell me what the torque spec is for the oil pan drain plug on a 2003 1500HD CC Silverado? Is it 18 lb ft? I know... I've read that a lot of people don't like following the torque spec on the plug because of its inaccuracy for a wet oily plug, and so they just go with their gut feeling for tightness/snugness, but I am just curious. I at least just want to use it as a reference...

Thanks in advance!

You don't need to torque a oil pan plug, just run it in till its snug and give it a little pull on the wrench.

Yeah, your method falls right in line with a lot of people as I discovered when I did a search for the torque spec. In fact, that's how I've always done it too for many years, and only one time I over-torqued it and it was on a Dodge Caravan many years ago.

One poster was vehemently against using the torque spec because the spec is for a dry plug, not a wet oily one as you get when you change the oil. He said what you said, just snug it up, then a little pull. But I still wanted to know what GM recommends... Thanks!

It's 18 lb ft

Cool... thanks, txab! I appreciate it...

Very cool, thank you! Does it matter if mine is a 6.0L?

No, it is still the same. If you want just click on your engine size over to the left and it will bring up everything for that application.

Archived