What type of fuel pump for my Silverado?

Sometime down the road, I expect to replace the fuel pump in my 2003 Chevy 2500HD with the 26 gallon tank. I priced one today at the local parts store and there are two different types, one with evap emissions and the other is without evap emissions. How do I know which one I would need? The lady at the store didn't know either. Do I have to get the old pump out first? I would rather not since they would have to order the pump and don't want to have the truck broke down any longer than I have too.

• 2 weeks later...

While looking on ebay, I found a brand new fuel pump for $60. http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ACDELCO-FUEL-PUMP-GM-SILVERADO-SIERRA-1999-2003-/170884902317?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27c988adad&vxp=mtr

Would this be the same thing as the one the auto parts store would order? Does this pump come with everything I need? If this pump would work, are the auto parts stores really making that much money? Oreilly's wants around $250 for one. I see all kinds of pumps listed on ebay that are alot cheaper than $250. I do realize you get customer service when buying local but that is a big price difference to not consider it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

With a small mirror and a flashlight you can see the sticker on top of your fuel pump. It will say TCU or TCF. Those three letters will tell you which pump you need. It will take a little contorting but I did it and am not a small guy.

Will those letters be on the fuel pump itself? I used a mirror and flashlight but never did see any sticker unless I was looking in the wrong area. What side were you on when you found it?

Is there any other place that will tell me the information I need?

Archived