Fuel mileage on 285s

tyhuck

OK, Im sure its been beat to death, but I cant seem to find anything. Maybe Im not using the search function properly.

But, I am seriously concidering taking all the lift parts off of my truck and going back to a stock setup, with the exception of running the stock 265/70/17s. Im wanting to run some 285/70/17s instead. My question is to all those guys that are running an older 4speed truck on 285s. What kind of MPG are you seeing on the 285s as opposed to the stock 265s?

I know its probably a redundant question, but Im a redundant individual I guess.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't forget, the weight and of the tires will affect MPG's. I went from the stock Goodyears and over to Bridgestone Revo's, same size, and MPG's dropped by about 1.5MPG. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but unsprung weight (tires) will kill MPG's if it is too much.

My 6ply 285/70-17 Mickey ATZ are worse on fuel then my slightly bigger and heavier 10ply 285/75-17 nitto dura grappler. I guess the smoother tread pattern helps quite a bit. Also the nittos stand about 34" tall which probably works better with my 4:10 gears than the smaller mickeys. I would get 400km to a tank on the mickeys and 475 on the nittos. And that's a mix of country roads, hauling ass, and light towing. I'll calculate it properly this Saturday as I'm going to put about 1000k on the nittos all highway.

Anyone with 3.42 gears?

The only reason I would downsize is primarily to increase my fuel mileage. Im getting 14mpg now, with 35s and a couple hundred extra lbs of steel on the truck now. If Im not gonna get any better than 14 on 285s, then I might just have to go back to 265s. I got over 16 in stock form.

My vehicle has the 6.2L, 3.42:1 rear and I am running 285x45R22 on 9.5" rims.

I am averaging 12.5 miles per gallon in town, and 14.3 miles per gallon on the freeway. I only have 8k on the motor.

Don't forget, the weight and of the tires will affect MPG's. I went from the stock Goodyears and over to Bridgestone Revo's, same size, and MPG's dropped by about 1.5MPG. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but unsprung weight (tires) will kill MPG's if it is too much.

Weight and rolling resistance is what kills the mpgs, wt more than anything if you do much in-town driving.

I only lost maybe .5 MPG if that.. I did the hand calculations before with 265's and after with my 285's.

Notice his tires in the profile pic are not overly aggressive, keeps the wt down. I was looking at some 10 ply ST/MAXX by cooper, I ended up getting AT/3's because of the weight difference.

Anyone with 3.42 gears?

The only reason I would downsize is primarily to increase my fuel mileage. Im getting 14mpg now, with 35s and a couple hundred extra lbs of steel on the truck now. If Im not gonna get any better than 14 on 285s, then I might just have to go back to 265s. I got over 16 in stock form.

With your intake, exhaust, and tune with 285's if you don't go overly aggressive you should hit back to that 16 with the drop of the lift for less wind resistance and reducing unsprung weight by dropping the 35's to the 285's.

Went and got a set of 285/70/17 Wild Country XTXs. I like em. They have a tread pattern similar in aggressiveness to a NItto Tera-Grappler, and after the guy took some trade for my old 35s, I got out of there for $808, which included a used spare. Saved me about $200 and the hassle of having to resell my used ones. i hope that once I get the bumpers and the lift off, i can get my mileage back up. These new tires are only a couple more lbs heavier than the BFG AT 265s that were on the truck when I bought it, but WAYYYYY lighter than the 35s were. We shall see.

Archived