Tighten Gas Cap message

Anyone have “tighten gas cap” come up on the dash? I have
checked it several times and its tight. The message comes up each day at exactly
the same time after I have driven about 2 miles.

Well almost every time I fill up with gas my check engine light come on. We dont pump our own gas in Oregon and the idiots never tighten the cap all the way. The check engine light come on, i tighten the gas cap, and it usually goes away in a few miles.

But since yours is tight you may want to get it checked out, seems like you may have a larger issue. You may have to get a new gas cap

Well almost every time I fill up with gas my check engine light come on. We dont pump our own gas in Oregon and the idiots never tighten the cap all the way. The check engine light come on, i tighten the gas cap, and it usually goes away in a few miles.

But since yours is tight you may want to get it checked out, seems like you may have a larger issue. You may have to get a new gas cap

I thought you died Dan. Ain't seen you on here. Kraus hasn't been on here either.

But on topic. My friend gets this in his 06. He has replaced the cap 3 times because well he is 6'6" and gets pissed at it doesn't go away. It turned out to be evap solenoid

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

Edited by chawkins6789

I had the tighten gas cap message last year along with a couple check engine codes. Computer must think something is not sealed in the fuel system. Mine ended up being a bad fuel evap solenoid. Codes gave it away, but without a check engine light, idk. Probably something similar though if you can rule out the gas cap.

Or in cases of the gas cap gasket failing or not tightened completely, you will get a P0442, small leak. However, under most conditions, it is the gas cap is hanging down the side of the vehicle, or on a fuel dispenser and then you get the P0455.

Just look at your gas cap. I had kept getting codes on my sunfire intermittently, and one day I happened to look at my gas cap and the o-ring was all cracked. I replaced the cap and never got a code again.

The evap solenoid is another common one too. I also had that happen on my truck, lucky for me the dealers cost I was still under warrenty.

Yup sure is. My 05 has done it once........ Subsequently it was after I had gone to a full service gas station. Sure enough, cap is jammed above the filler neck but not in it. It is just detecting the fact that vapor pressure will not build in the tank.... and the simplest is the gas cap.

Mine came on and wouldn't go off no matter how many times I checked the gas cap.

So since it was under warranty I took it into the dealer when the oil change came due and they said it was nothing.

Go figure...

Mine came on and wouldn't go off no matter how many times I checked the gas cap.

So since it was under warranty I took it into the dealer when the oil change came due and they said it was nothing.

Go figure...

Take it back the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

• Like 1

Yup sure is. My 05 has done it once........ Subsequently it was after I had gone to a full service gas station. Sure enough, cap is jammed above the filler neck but not in it. It is just detecting the fact that vapor pressure will not build in the tank.... and the simplest is the gas cap.

Do you know what year this started? Just curious. My truck is 2001 and if the cap is loose it will set the SES lamp and throw the p0442 code.

A gas cap being loose/damaged can trigger pretty much any of the leak codes. I used to see P0455/large leak the most when I was at Hyundai but depending on how loose the cap is and the control system it may set different codes. Hyundai used to primarily use Siemens and Mitsubishi engine management software/components but switched to Delphi toward the end of my time there and the types of codes that Delphi systems set were different sometimes.

Do you know what year this started? Just curious. My truck is 2001 and if the cap is loose it will set the SES lamp and throw the p0442 code.

2004 does it too. They did a change in the fuel system from 03-04 going from return style to returnless. The dash redesign was 2003 and since the clusters swap it wouldn't surprise me if 03 does it as well. 99-02 with the different DIC may not do it at all but I don't know for sure.