2014 Silverado 0-60 video

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That speed limiter is usually set due to the tire speed rating. That's a CYA move and they all do it.

Sent from my iPhone4S

using Tapatalk

Did not know that was the reasoning behind that...

The things you learn.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 4

Did not know that was the reasoning behind that...

The things you learn.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 4

That or the driveshaft. The newer V6 Mustangs cut off at 112 due to that and there is a great video of a guy who blew apart his DS among other parts after having the limiter removed with a tune.

That or the driveshaft. The newer V6 Mustangs cut off at 112 due to that and there is a great video of a guy who blew apart his DS among other parts after having the limiter removed with a tune.

You never want to mess around with the chance of a rotational piece letting go. As much as we like to accuse the auto companies at setting these limits arbitrarily to prevent us from having fun, we have to face the fact that these vehicles were definitely not designed to cruise down the autobahn at 200 kph.

When you start designing components for heavy duty applications (ie, towing, carrying loads) while trying to minimize weight gains and maximizing drivetrain efficiency, limits have to be set. Transmission components, driveshafts, transfer cases, CV-joints, etc, all have to let go at some point or another. And while we worry about the tires, I'd be keeping an eye on chinese made brake rotors or wheels as well. I've seen both rotors and wheels crack and let go at the track when I used to road race and it ain't pretty. Heck, I've seen 4L60/65/80E's let go while drag racing and it sure as hell isn't funny when transmission debris comes through the tunnel and into the cab of the vehicle.

The other thing we have to keep in mind is that designing these rotational components to be strong either drives up the price and drives up their size and inertial mass (beyond just adding to the curb weight), resulting in higher drivetrain losses, slower performance and lower vehicle efficiency.

So while we want to drive these trucks hard, if you really want to go fast for sustained lengths of times, get a Corvette or Camaro.

Saw some pictures on one of the RV forums of a fairly new (around 05 at the time) Duramax letting go of its driveshaft at the front end. Put a hole in the floorboard, and nearly scared the fella to death. IIRC, he wasn't towing and wasn't driving fast. Something was wrong and it just let go.

I can't imagine what would happen if he had been driving fast.

Larry

Hey I'm coming from a Trailblazer SS that I can hit 140 in with no problem. LOL this will be the first vehicle I've ever owned that I couldn't hit 100 in lol

The 2014 sierra I have had no problem getting up to 110, I don't think you should be driving it that fast, but I can attest it doesn't shutoff @ 99

Hey I'm coming from a Trailblazer SS that I can hit 140 in with no problem. LOL this will be the first vehicle I've ever owned that I couldn't hit 100 in lol

The 2014 sierra I have had no problem getting up to 110, I don't think you should be driving it that fast, but I can attest it doesn't shutoff @ 99

Thanks Dad lol :lol:

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Thanks Dad lol :lol:

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I wasnt saying it to be a buzzkill, it's just fact. I drove it up to that speed for a quick minute just to see what it was like and it's not confidence inspiring, to say the least. I've owned some pretty fast vehicles in my life including the fully bolted g8 I traded in on the truck and they felt stable and sure footed at triple digit speed, trucks are simply not designed for that, it's dangerous to drive them that fast, unless they have been heavily modified in the suspension and braking and downforce departments.

I've had motorcycles that could go from 0-100-0 quicker than a truck could get itself up to 100 period. Now the newer ones including the 2014 gmc is miles ahead of older trucks, but you can't fight physics.

• 1 month later...

Now that I have a over 500 miles on the truck I tested the acceleration on it today leaving town. I have no doubt in my mind that it's in the very low 6 second range but I'm also in a single cab short box with the 5.3. Once I get the tuner in there and a e47 mix in the tank, I have no doubts this truck will be in the mid 5's. Thanks to the direct injection, we will now be able to run quite a bit of timing on pump gas so I'm excited for cams that will come out in the future. I'm kind of waiting for someone to say the 6.2 vette cam can be used or something.

Archived