2014 GMC Sierra 5.3 Towing 23ft 5500lb Airstream Review

Truck Trend review looks to be full of positive remarks.

http://www.trucktrend.com/roadtests/pickup/1306_2014_gmc_sierra_first_drive/index.html

Car and driver Review

We recently tested a Silverado LTZ crew cab equipped with the 5.3-liter and it returned a 0–60 time of 6.7 seconds.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2014-gmc-sierra-1500-first-drive-review

post-50150-0-74273200-1370462922_thumb.jpg

Pickuptrucks.com video review

Every review I read keeps mentioning that the 8-speed transmission is coming soon. If the 8-speed is going to be available model year 2015 i will wait and buy a 15 the summer of 2014. if the 8-speed is further out then i will buy a '14 this fall when the 6.2 is available.

What are your thoughts, rumors, etc?

Had my truck at the dealer today getting some service work done. Talking to the Service Manager about the 14's one of the first thing's he said was if I was thinking about buying one wait for the 15's because they will have the new 8 speed tranny's. Take it with a grain of salt he also said the Denali's and High Terrain's would get the 8 spd's first.

Had my truck at the dealer today getting some service work done. Talking to the Service Manager about the 14's one of the first thing's he said was if I was thinking about buying one wait for the 15's because they will have the new 8 speed tranny's. Take it with a grain of salt he also said the Denali's and High Terrain's would get the 8 spd's first.

Not sure if that is good or bad news lol. It's been killing me waiting this long! An 8 speed in 15 model year would make sense to fight fords 2015 atlas and ram already has an 8.

I too thought the Denali would have an 8 this year.

The current 6 speed is a good transmission but when I'm spending 46 - 50k I will be keeping this truck a hell of a long time.

Decisions, decisions.

Airstreams are one of the easiest towing rv trailers made. The manual for mine has a station wagon towing it. As for the 50k price for a half-ton with a baby engine that's a bit nuts. Prices are getting way too high. Dad's '09 dually with the Duramax stickered for under $55k.

There is always something coming bigger & better the next year, except for the

GMT900s. GM was broke & bankrupt and could barely afford to introduce the 6

speed back then.

Yet the 900-series half tons outsold the F150 and the Ram 1500 last year. As for the rollout of the six-speed, GM always does low volume vehicles with new power train stuff first which is why back in the late 90s the Vette and F-body cars got the Gen III V8s before the trucks then again the Vette got the 6-speed first and the 6.2 was just the Denali for a bit. The trucks are GM's bread and butter so they make sure things are solid before going fleet-wide with them. And given the limited experience I've had with 8-speeds I'm not sure there will be any performance gain, likely just fuel economy. Which means I don't care. Unless it makes the truck drive better/faster its of little interest to me.

I'm not really a fan of the way they did the 4x4 badges.

Yeah, that is hideous!

I like the spot they used but the base 4WD badge is ugly. Just an excuse to go Z71 again. :lol:

There is always something coming bigger & better the next year, except for the

GMT900s. GM was broke & bankrupt and could barely afford to introduce the 6

speed back then.[/size]

Yes I waited for the 09 to get the 6sp and the Bluetooth for phone. The 6 sp is still a slow shifting pain and needs a tune to make the truck drive correctly.

As for price, a dealer friend said that price is up as base price stayed the same but a lot of things that were standard are now options. So on the reviews they say starting at XXXXXX same as last yr but the same truck 13 vs 14 appears to be costing more. I will verify soon.

I have seen the all terrain and do not like the chrome on the doors and the dash is very industrial and they tend to look like fords, toya and dodge...maybe slts will look different. Oh and bed rail caps are dull/hot and not as nice as paint.

Edit: they keep talking about a quiet cab. Well I hope the fixed the notorious cab vent noise on the 900s that sounds like the passenger rear door is open or the window is down Even the TSB fix on mine did not help. Will drive one next week to see.

I am also not a fan of the rear bumper The chrome with those steps looks horrible. It looks like someone cut some chunks out of it. It would probably look better body colored.

I never really noticed this on the avalanches I guess because they had grey bumpers so it doesn't stick out like sore thumb.

I also cant get over the fact that the price of these trucks keeps going up but GM keeps cutting features to save money.

• 2 weeks later...

MT mentioned it is tough to see over the large/high hood in off road. Have they driven a ford, toy or dodge? All the trks are now such. Seems dodge started it a long time ago and now all have followed. I still drive my 90 GMC sub (same ground clearance as my sierra 09)and it is surprising how low the hoods were and how easy in and out is as the seats are much lower.

Archived