Carpet in wheel wells?

Interesting comments here so thought I'd add my 2c. Not brand local I've owned them all, last truck a Tundra. Because of the huge investment, I've been researching my next truck since 2011 and bought the GM because its the best available today in so many ways...for me.

The Tundra has a lot going for it if you like the look but fails in one big way-no usable torque. Towing is a big disappointment and they haven't made any power train changes since 2007. Good truck car, fast, comfy but doesn't cut it as a truck.

Dodge has a lot going for it with the new 8 speed, ride and handling but still has a poor record on reliability....and I hate the front end. My bad but that's just me.

I've test driven the ford numerous times in 2011-2013, intrigued by the twin turbo. Even at the top trim level, the Ford is lacking. I like the looks, interior is nice but not comfortable. Handling is so bad-worst of the other 3. For me it would have been a step back from the Tundra except for torque/towing power. On slick roads the Ford felt dangerous. Turbo power- still the lag, fuel economy over rated and not yet as reliable as diesel turbos.

There are some things about the Chev/Sierra that I don't care for but for me it wins in all the things that are most important. What's wrong with a truck with a great ride....good handling....quiet interior??? I spend a lot of time using my truck as a car and love the interior, center console, seats, etc. Exterior isn't my favorite but looks good in some trim levels.

Buying a truck is a personal decision and you need to buy what you want. Too many of us don't have the time or ability to really know what we are getting until owning one-a costly mistake at times. (My Tundra for example)

I'd suggest reading the professional reviews to get a heads up on some of the factors + or -. This helped me when I did the test drives as I had a list of things to consider beyond the superficial first drive impressions.

And for what it's worth, the GM products were the top rated trucks by Consumer reports. Not the last word, but a good source of info!

• Like 1

These new trucks are a downright let down, the factory rocker guard finish looks terrible IMO... I'd never want that on my truck ever, makes it looks like an old bomb someone is trying to make last for another year

Let me start with the carpet like stuff. I had some on my ford and my wives jeep had it. The stuff does get gunky and I dont see it holding up for 10 years, with that said it does not get as bad any many would think.

But I do agree with some of what you said. The new model is night and day on top of the old model, the old model had a cheap cheap interior in comparison, the new dash and raio display is NICE and better than ford. I would say you are being somewhat over critical on somethings though. I bought one these trucks and so far love it but would admit GM gets about a B+ and A- on this and isnt necessarily a home run but is close to the fences. There are some things that look cheap on the interior still in particualr the back seat and the over head lights look cheap but the new true blue lighting is excellent.

Where GM missed the mark IMO is the engine packages and the fact that they merely matched the competition in what they came out with, theres nothing new or revolutionary to speak of that says wow GM has the market on that feature.

I think GM is wrong is making the 6cyl the standard option and you have to pay for the 5.3, but I think this is a set up for a ecoboost type engine in the near future. But GM is going for MPG, thats where they are putting their money, i.e pushing the 3.08 gearing as well, I drove one and it couldnt get out of its own way with that gearing, i pitty whoever bought one of those.

Engine packages, Dodge has the 1/2 ton diesel and ford has the 3.5l turbo, GM can say we still have the 5.3 , i know i know its new, but still there is no cex appeal to it if you know what I mean. I really think the 2014 was a mid level refresh and I think in 2015 or 16 you will see minor tweaks to the exterior and interior but a new engine of some sort with the new tranny, thats what I think is going to happen.

I had a 11 F150 same trim level as my new silverado and I would have to say the build quality of the ford was still better, the interior parts looked a little more premium but fords radio display for a 2011 was majorily outdated. But the new chevy looks better in and out still I think.

I like my truck and its very nice so dont take this as negative, a lot of it is just truth. And by the numbers of trucks on the lots I think you can gather GM didnt knock it out of the park, they did a good enough job to get their loyalist to buy, but you start looking at the the nuts and bolts of it I dont think this truck is going to pull ford and dodge customers away or the guys that are on the fence with their current GM trucks. Come christmas I think your going to be seeing 2-4 grand rebates on them alerady to get rid of them.

My fear is if Ford takes that atlas concept and runs with it dodge and GM are going to be left in the dust.

I've had a center shift on my Envoy for the last 10 years, I am so glad to be getting rid of it.

It takes up a lot of space where cup holders/electronics/small items can be in easy reach.

Cleaning it/around it is a pain, having to snap off the knob skirt and wipe down the leather/pleather whatever.

I've always felt automatics should be on the wheel, manuals should be on the floor.

Of course I have somewhat of a hatred for manual shift, after having a manual Pontiac T/A back in the 90's and commuting from Fairfax, VA to Baltimore every day on 95/495/695 stop and go traffic.

I think GM has made an excellent truck this time around!! You guys are finding super nitpicky things to complain about on this one. Carpet wheel liners and shifter placement? Not too bad! The last one had wavy body panels and trim moulding that peeled along with paint that chipped on the bottom and an odd three piece front bumper (Silverado). And I thought those were nitpicky things, because the 900's are sweet trucks. Now if only they could make the Black Op's edition a reality.... :thumbs:

I think GM has made an excellent truck this time around!! You guys are finding super nitpicky things to complain about on this one. Carpet wheel liners and shifter placement? Not too bad! The last one had wavy body panels and trim moulding that peeled along with paint that chipped on the bottom and an odd three piece front bumper (Silverado). And I thought those were nitpicky things, because the 900's are sweet trucks. Now if only they could make the Black Op's edition a reality.... :thumbs:

Im not complaining about the carpet stuff, not a big deal to me. I was just looking at the truck holistically not through bow ties colored glasses.

Black ops would be cool but those models on whatever brand usually arent popular to be honest. And what they charge for what you are getting is rediculous. Your usually talking blacked out rims, a few badges and thats it for the tune of about 3 grand.

The carpet linings are great for sound deadening! I have them on my focus. Tip for cleaning that I have found: Don't use a pressure washer on them! I did to remove salt and snow from my focus and now they're kind of coming apart. Oops. Now from a buyers standpoint the whole bage and paint trim for a few grand does seem silly. However, chrysler has done a phenominal job appealing to its fans by offering things like blackout edition, outdoorsman edition, Mopar edition, John varvatos edition, arctic edition, call of duty edition, glacier edition, motown edition, yellowjacket edition. Thats all I can come up with off the top of my head...phew! Anyways, the profitability of stickers and badges far exceed what they should, but they do sell suprisingly. BTW, I like my bow tie colored glasses, thats why I'm on the GM truck forum! hahaha! But I like all big three trucks, they're all sweet in their own way. Ford made having a V6 cool, Ram made coil springs perfectly acceptable, and GM stuck with rugged simplicity and a Z71 badge people seem to love...Go Detroit!

The carpet linings are great for sound deadening! I have them on my focus. Tip for cleaning that I have found: Don't use a pressure washer on them! I did to remove salt and snow from my focus and now they're kind of coming apart. Oops. Now from a buyers standpoint the whole bage and paint trim for a few grand does seem silly. However, chrysler has done a phenominal job appealing to its fans by offering things like blackout edition, outdoorsman edition, Mopar edition, John varvatos edition, arctic edition, call of duty edition, glacier edition, motown edition, yellowjacket edition. Thats all I can come up with off the top of my head...phew! Anyways, the profitability of stickers and badges far exceed what they should, but they do sell suprisingly. BTW, I like my bow tie colored glasses, thats why I'm on the GM truck forum! hahaha! But I like all big three trucks, they're all sweet in their own way. Ford made having a V6 cool, Ram made coil springs perfectly acceptable, and GM stuck with rugged simplicity and a Z71 badge people seem to love...Go Detroit!

It can be proftiably like you said. But black ops and the jeep thing married up nicely just because jeep is jeep for one and then the jeep was in the game there really is no tie to chevy and black ops. Camaro tried doing the transformers thing which camaro I think is a HECK of a lot more intwined with transformers then the jeep and COD, and the transformer thing failed.

I also think when you talk linking a car to a video game or movie and linking a vehicle to a outdoorsmen edition or something is two different things. Packages like the outdoorsmen and such are more of a naming game than anything, and the actual package is what sells for than the name. Think about it what entices a buyer more to have a Ram model X or the BIG HORN edition. The trucks like I said actually contain something and the name is a marketing ploy more than anything. Vs something like transformers or COD versions your talking about the name and small visual upgrades. Trucks sell on a such a higher volume and dont have a uniqe quality or buyer like Jeep does, so I dont see Gm dabbling in something that like that to much.

I didnt get the Z71 this time as I couldnt with the max tow option, but I think your going to Z71 kind of die away as now you get nothing more than a skid plate, shocks and a sticker, other than the sticker the truck looks the same, well the grill is different in which the Z71 grill is actually a downgrade. So I dont know how long the Z71 brand or name will actually entice buyers.

But your point is well taken, GM has WT, LS, LT and LTZ, for the most part and you could count the high country where as Ram has 9 and for has just as many. And I have said this before GM is lacking is branding and setting up their models.

I tend to wear my bowtie glasses as well, but when your making a capital investment like a vehicle it is wise to take them off and look at everything through a bias eye.

Edited by nards444

Couldn't agree more on the lack of branding at the GM tent. Also totally agree with the notion that when your actually at the desk about to write the check, looking at everything through a non bias standpoint makes maximum sense. Do they have the carpet liners in the front and rear of the new GM trucks, or just the rear or just the front? Last gen they didnt even put liners in the rear, just wondering.

The Z71 also includes a different air cleaner, downhill grade assist, different shocks, etc. I wanted the Z71 package but wanted cloth with the center console more. Out of all the dealers in my area I could only find 2 with cloth and the console. There was an All Terrain (which includes Z71) that was my first choice, and an SLE non-Z71 that was my second choice. The AT was across town, $1,000 higher msrp (and worth it I thought), but also had $1,000 extra dealer add-ons I refused to pay. Therefore I ended up with my non-Z71 SLE, saved $2,000, and saved a trip across town. If I were still a hard-core off-roader I would have held out for a Z71, but I do more soft-roading now so I'll be just fine without the Z71 package.

The z71 pkg is not for hardcore off-roading

Ryan

Never was. I can't understand why people don't like the Z71 being available on 2WD. It never has been anything hardcore, just a catchy name thanks to GM's RPO system.

• 3 weeks later...