Carpet in wheel wells?

• 1 month later...

I just installed the Husky "plastic" wheel well liners on my 2016 GMC Sierra.

They were easy to install and provide more cover underneath than the carpet ones. I heard they might be a little more noisy but should clean off very quickly. I decided to go this route on my new truck. They look good as well.

http://www.autoanything.com/fender-flares/husky-liners-wheel-well-guards?vehicleid=3513529&kc=ffprod&k_clickid=296f059f-2e72-4b70-811d-7a06305fb1c4&adgroupid=5399&k_trackingid=274x76987232528&kpid=10090-9016-3513529&productid=76987232528&gclid=CMfqpZyA_MwCFQlahgodIscLew

Their (Husky) instructions starts off taking off the OEM carpet wheel wells before installing the plastic ones. Seems there is an interest of people changing over to their product. I got a good deal because they were on sale this month through some vendors.

Edited by PMattras

What's the best way to get dried mud out of this liners

I power-wash mine. 2400 PSI sprayer set on fan spray pattern. I don't get too close but don't need to. I have brushed soapy water on first, but haven't noticed that that helps much -- don't seem to need it.

I just installed the Husky "plastic" wheel well liners on my 2016 GMC Sierra.

They were easy to install and provide more cover underneath than the carpet ones. I heard they might be a little more noisy but should clean off very quickly. I decided to go this route on my new truck. They look good as well.

On the front, do they cover the area behind the wheel where the factory ones let you can see into the engine compartment? I've wondered why that area was left open. Maybe because of engine cooling?

Rocks , sand, grass tends to get stuck in the carpeting. Thats my personal experience

I wonder, how about washing and drying them and then spraying them liberally with some form of silicone spray -- to make future sticky dirt fall/wash off more easily?

On the front, do they cover the area behind the wheel where the factory ones let you can see into the engine compartment? I've wondered why that area was left open. Maybe because of engine cooling?

I'm pretty sure they are only for the rear...or at least they used to only be for the rear when I was researching them on my 2014.

I didn't have any trouble with the carpet rear wheel wells in my 2014 Chevy Silverado. They were easy to clean but they did have a lot of salt in them from the New England winters. When I took them off (traded in my vehicle) there was dirt/salt behind the carpet rear wells. I am not sure how the dirt or salt got there. Maybe when I put pressure to wash out the carpet inserts. Salt is a big issue in New England especially in CT. I am not crazy about carpeting in these areas.

The all plastic wheel wells seem to be better coverage with the frame and rear bumper (throw out underneath frame) areas etc.. I had to clean the inside bumper in back of the wheel. Nothing is going to stick to them and I feel the salt from the winter will wash out very quickly by itself when you hit puddles etc.. Less sticking like in carpet. If there is any noise (most of the driving is noise free anyways), I don't see any issue with it. I didn't have anything there when I purchased the vehicle. Less maintenance in cleaning the rear works better for me in cold times or back country. I can wipe them down with WD40 for additional protection in the winter.

The front wells have the carpeting which keep any noise down in the cabin but do have to be cleaned more. There appears to be more protection in this area to the under carriage. I had plastic in my 2008 and I never had any issues with it to be concerned.

Too bad they don't make the carpet backing with the plastic outer covering to prevent sound and dirt protection. Maybe it wouldn't work. With the prices on the trucks are going up, there should be a better way to reduce salt, dirt and noise in these areas. This is a major area where you can get a lot of rust to the vehicle. Where the rubber touches the dirty/salty roads!

I lived in Upstate NY for 20 years ... yes, salt getting behind the plastic would be a big worry. Mud getting back there could be a bit of an issue even without salt. I lost multiple cars to rust before moving to California in 87. Haven't seen a spec of rust since (don't live near the ocean). But I will check for mud behind my wells just to be sure.

Edited by hclarkx

• 4 years later...

Mud is always an issue when it comes to car carpets... Especially when you live in a rainy area :( I do know what I am talking about as I used to have a tan carpet in my car and, well, it was a complete mess most of the time... Though, I must admit that mud was easy to deal with, and I soon began used to cleaning it once in a while. But when my sister burned a piece of it, right in the center... that was something  to deal with. Thankfully, I already knew these guys radiantcarpetrepairs.com.au who have saved my carpets before, and I knew that my beloved carpet will return to me in a short time.

This is the number of these guys, if you need 0480 022 732

Edited by Julycam

I'm going to try AMSOIL's Mud Slinger on the carpet liners to see how well it helps keep the mud and road debris from sticking.  It works well on everything else so it should do well on them I would think.

• Haha 1

I'm going to try AMSOIL's Mud Slinger on the carpet liners to see how well it helps keep the mud and road debris from sticking.  It works well on everything else so it should do well on them I would think.

Keep us posted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2 hours ago, RyanbabZ71 said:

Keep us posted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I will.  I plan on doing a full detail to the truck tomorrow.  Weather is going to be cold but at least sunny for the next few days.

• Like 1