2014+ Suspension Lifts

I have the stage 5 Icon set up and I absolutely love it. Rides stiffer than stock on the softest setting and gets rid of the floaty feel of the stock suspension, especially the front. To me it's how a truck should ride and come from the factory. I've only towed 3000-4000# so far but had no issues at all. You can only get about 3" max height out of the Icon set up. My fronts are maxed out but I wish I could go a tad higher. If you want 4" then like others have suggested I am sure the BDS 4" with Fox coilovers would be a nice set up as well.

My set up below.

29059973734_5b5d09fb6f_k.jpgDSC00343 by Chris Minshall, on Flickr

Second time I've seen that truck on here and this time I had to comment lol. Great looking truck man. And solid advice, I agree the coilover set ups are a lot more "planted" when driving. I definitely think trucks should feel this way outta the box. I'm running a BDS 4" with fox coilovers. Definitely a good investment. I just need to find some better rear shocks... Anyway nice freakin truck man, well done on the that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I understand a better ride. I really do. But for the function of bigger tires and/or aesthetics of a 4" lift i sort of think it's a waste of money..(unless the ride is improved that much). I guess it makes as much sense as a 6" because you're not stuffing larger than 35" tires.

Or am I wrong?

I don't think anyone is wrong. It's all personal preference and I do appreciate the aesthetics of all kinds of different lifts. For me, I come from modified cars, this is my first truck I've ever owned. Right off the dealer lot I hated how soft and floaty the suspension felt, I mean its comfortable I guess for the general masses and the stock tires are super quiet, but its just not my cup of tea. I prefer a more controlled and stiffer suspension/wheel/tire combo. I work in the aftermarket suspension industry (for cars) so to me suspension is one of the best modifications you can do to any vehicle to improve the ride and handling charactaristics. The shop I went thru here in Arizona cranks out tons of coil over set ups on trucks ranging from Icon to Fox to King and I was able to ride in several of their shop vehicles which is what convinced me to go with the Icon/Method/Toyo set up that I have.

In my previous vehicles I was always used to paying $4500 alone just for wheels and tires, so coming to the truck world and being able to get the Icon stage 5 and wheels/tires for just a little bit more installed was great.

I think there are pro's and con's to any set up. I have rode in many trucks with 6" lifts that basically just raise the drivetrain and come with cheap shocks and far as ride quality goes it's not even a comparison.

For me I guess my biggest con is the height gain vs dollar spent but going into it I knew I wouldn't get much of a lift. Now that I've had it installed for almost 2 months I do wish I could go a little higher. The biggest pro to me is the ride quality is phenomenal and knowing that I can go on the trails at higher speeds and have full confidence in my suspension is very important to me. Ideally I would love to be at around 4-5" lift on 35s. Hopefully someone comes out with lift spindles for the 4WD models soon.

How are you doing it? Powder or paint? What's the specs?

I actually ordered a new set in Bronze, Method released them like a week after I got mine installed and I saw them post on instagram and I was like......dammit. I ordered them instantly from the shop I went thru.

They are 17x8.5 +0 with 295/70/17 Toys RT's.

I wish the stuck out a little more. I am also ordering a set of Method "The Standard" in 17x9 -12 and I am going to powdercoat them a similar flat bronze color. Which ever wheel I end up liking the most I'll keep and sell the other ones.

Second time I've seen that truck on here and this time I had to comment lol. Great looking truck man. And solid advice, I agree the coilover set ups are a lot more "planted" when driving. I definitely think trucks should feel this way outta the box. I'm running a BDS 4" with fox coilovers. Definitely a good investment. I just need to find some better rear shocks... Anyway nice freakin truck man, well done on the that

Thank you man! Sometimes I wish I would have went with your set up instead just for a little more height. I was thinking of contacting BDS to see if their 4" set up would work with my Icon's.

But yes, coilovers all day! Worth every penny. Plus I love how external reservoirs look.

• Like 1

I have the stage 5 Icon set up and I absolutely love it. Rides stiffer than stock on the softest setting and gets rid of the floaty feel of the stock suspension, especially the front. To me it's how a truck should ride and come from the factory. I've only towed 3000-4000# so far but had no issues at all. You can only get about 3" max height out of the Icon set up. My fronts are maxed out but I wish I could go a tad higher. If you want 4" then like others have suggested I am sure the BDS 4" with Fox coilovers would be a nice set up as well.

My set up below.

29059973734_5b5d09fb6f_k.jpgDSC00343 by Chris Minshall, on Flickr

Wow that looks AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! And the wheel combo is great!!! That what i read on ICON only offer 3.5 lift.. sucks though. but you gave me a nice picture.

Wow that looks AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! And the wheel combo is great!!! That what i read on ICON only offer 3.5 lift.. sucks though. but you gave me a nice picture.

Thanks! No problem. Just glad to share.

Another recent pic.

29654975906_6561dffcec_k.jpgDSC00134 by Chris Minshall, on Flickr

• Like 1

I don't think anyone is wrong. It's all personal preference and I do appreciate the aesthetics of all kinds of different lifts. For me, I come from modified cars, this is my first truck I've ever owned. Right off the dealer lot I hated how soft and floaty the suspension felt, I mean its comfortable I guess for the general masses and the stock tires are super quiet, but its just not my cup of tea. I prefer a more controlled and stiffer suspension/wheel/tire combo. I work in the aftermarket suspension industry (for cars) so to me suspension is one of the best modifications you can do to any vehicle to improve the ride and handling charactaristics. The shop I went thru here in Arizona cranks out tons of coil over set ups on trucks ranging from Icon to Fox to King and I was able to ride in several of their shop vehicles which is what convinced me to go with the Icon/Method/Toyo set up that I have.

In my previous vehicles I was always used to paying $4500 alone just for wheels and tires, so coming to the truck world and being able to get the Icon stage 5 and wheels/tires for just a little bit more installed was great.

I think there are pro's and con's to any set up. I have rode in many trucks with 6" lifts that basically just raise the drivetrain and come with cheap shocks and far as ride quality goes it's not even a comparison.

For me I guess my biggest con is the height gain vs dollar spent but going into it I knew I wouldn't get much of a lift. Now that I've had it installed for almost 2 months I do wish I could go a little higher. The biggest pro to me is the ride quality is phenomenal and knowing that I can go on the trails at higher speeds and have full confidence in my suspension is very important to me. Ideally I would love to be at around 4-5" lift on 35s. Hopefully someone comes out with lift spindles for the 4WD models soon.

I cam from modified cars (Audi and Subaru), I didn't like where the culture is/was going so I opted out of the associative stigmas. I was more into racing than garage beauty queens. I agree with you completely about comments about a predicable response ride and I'm not exactly happy with oem ride. So I guess I'm just lost in the functionality of the small lifted trucks. I see the 4" being more functional than the 6" on account of they both yield 35" tires. The industry doesn't really offer suspensions that have more off road capability (maybe I should've went with Jeep if that was my primary concern). Don't get me wrong your truck looks great and I get where you are coming from.

I cam from modified cars (Audi and Subaru), I didn't like where the culture is/was going so I opted out of the associative stigmas. I was more into racing than garage beauty queens. I agree with you completely about comments about a predicable response ride and I'm not exactly happy with oem ride. So I guess I'm just lost in the functionality of the small lifted trucks. I see the 4" being more functional than the 6" on account of they both yield 35" tires. The industry doesn't really offer suspensions that have more off road capability (maybe I should've went with Jeep if that was my primary concern). Don't get me wrong your truck looks great and I get where you are coming from.

For durability and usability IFS will never be as good as straight axle, In my opinion.

My next rig will be another jeep.

As for these trucks. The fenders kill it for tire and wheel usage. Trucks from the factory should be slight front rake with helper springs or air bags in the back and 33" AT light truck tires vs all season P rated. Just pitiful. For $40k plus I feel robbed sometimes. The lack of off-road ability in these new trucks with traction control and weak shifts and lack of rear end options or actual truck gearing really sucks

4wd should disable tsc so you can spin the tires clean. Kind of silly to limit power when it gets soft and squishy.

This is just My .02¢ Don't get all bent out of shape

I like the 4" and 35 look but again if you cross any ditches or levies, or flex the suspension in general, I feel some damage resulting from tire contact.

I actually ordered a new set in Bronze, Method released them like a week after I got mine installed and I saw them post on instagram and I was like......dammit. I ordered them instantly from the shop I went thru.

They are 17x8.5 +0 with 295/70/17 Toys RT's.

I wish the stuck out a little more. I am also ordering a set of Method "The Standard" in 17x9 -12 and I am going to powdercoat them a similar flat bronze color. Which ever wheel I end up liking the most I'll keep and sell the other ones.

Dude I'll take a set whenever you feel like your ready to sell. Or donate them to a good cause!

I'm not bent out of shape, haven't lost any composure really. From an engineering standpoint it just looks like all these kits just take the stock short arm suspension and spacing them down and out of the wheel well.

You're right about straight axles.

I'm not bent out of shape, haven't lost any composure really. From an engineering standpoint it just looks like all these kits just take the stock short arm suspension and spacing them down and out of the wheel well.

You're right about straight axles.

That "bent out of shape" it wasn't really intended for anyone just at everyone. Catch my drift. I'm a firm believer in "to each his own". But I'm entitled to an opinion as well as you and the next 100000000 dudes. Just so we are clear!

Also to your engineering comment, yes. Exactly 100% yes. Guys expect to retain factory or better their ride quality by going taller and bigger tires. Not really going to work. Lifts were designed with 1 thing in mind. Bigger tires and more ground clearance. Want a good plush ride run on air bags or hydraulics. Magna ride and what have you. You want bomb proof suspension go boxed uppers and lowers new axles and fiberglass fenders. Widen the stance plant the suspension where it needs to be oh and of course huge oil filled coilovers. But also pay the big $$$$$

Edited by skallywag

I hear ya on off road functionality with a smaller lift. My truck is mostly just my daily driver and will tow my '16 Yamaha YXZ1000R when I really want to have fun off road.

Before I bought my truck I went out with several trucks (Chevy, Ford and Toyota) with the same or similar lifts as mine and they were able to all get thru some decent off road stuff without any issues. Speaking of Jeep's, 2 weeks ago I sold my 99 XJ that had 4.5" lift, lockers, 33" Kevlar MTR's, 4.88 gears, etc and yeahhhhhhhh Jeep's are most definitely the way to go if you really want to take on some obstacles off road. The capability of those things blows my mind.

Edited by PHOSHZL
  • Like 1

Just hit 23'000 kms on my 2015 GMC Sierra with a 7.5" Rough Country lift, 36" Goodyear Duratrac tires, Flowmaster exhaust.. all of this has been on or in the truck since 12 kms on the dial..

No issues to date. Drives still great, tows great, and makes offroad in so easy it's almost not fun.

post-148121-0-00637100-1473972928_thumb.jpg

• Like 2