In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Im not in need yet, but would like to start researching the options for my coilovers. I have the Zone 6" lift and have the large spacers on my stock ones. Ive seen other lifts that have full length coilovers(aftermarket) without the spacers and was wondering what options are available to consider when i change my out for some that wont require the spacer.

What should i consider? 

I like the fox coilovers on my 6" bds. Zone is the same company but I'm not sure how easy it would be to add to your truck.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Did the BDS 6" with Fox shocks. 22x12 Sprockets on 33" Toyo MT's. Rides like stock, no rub no trimming.

Crappy pic, but this was right after it pulled out of the garage last night. 4.5 zone with fox in the rear, 35x12.50r20 nitto ridge grapplers on stock elevation rims. Ride seems better then stock, i

Here is my submission to this thread. Its my 2016 GMC All/Terrain 4x4 6.5" Zone with AAL, 35.4" Duratracs on stock 20" Denali wheels.          

Posted Images

On 12/28/2020 at 11:54 PM, HumanTT said:

Another quick question for everyone, BDS 6" VS McGaughys 7"-9"?

I like the warranty for BDS, and it seems like a lot more people run the BDS kit, VS the McGaughys, but the option of getting one lift and able to go from 7-9 I think is a huge benefit, I'm just am not having a lot of luck finding reviews/posts about McGaughys lifts.

I can get a BDS 6", Fox 2.0 performance shocks, and add a leaf for $1,850 shipped.

or a McGaughys 7-9" Premium Silver, for around $1,915, shipped.

any one have any pro or cons for them?

Thanks.

It really comes down to how high you're looking to go.  6 inch lifts are very common and people who have them usually are needing clearance for off-roading and of course the looks.  Not taking away from much taller lifts, a lot people who lift their trucks wished they lifted it higher....lol.   So, my opinion....go with the Mcgaughys.   I have the Cognito 10-12" set to 11.5" in the front and 10" in the back with Fox 2.5 Reservoir shocks and deaver leaf springs.IMG_3487.thumb.jpeg.efd9ee34315f67f7d52846a26b66e27e.jpeg

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Anyone have any insight into the vibration I am getting in 4 Auto and 4 Hi after installing a BDS 4" lift?  The transfer case was smooth as butter prior to the lift.  The vibration is almost like a groan that can be felt in the transfer case upon acceleration between 10-30 mph.  The shop is stating that I will need a CV (dual cardan) front driveshaft as the pinion angle and prop shaft angle has changed and the u/joint angles are no longer in phase.

Yet, it seems there are plenty of others running 4" and 6" lifts that don't require a CV front driveshaft and have no vibrations in 4 Auto and 4 Hi.  And then there are the others that are stock and have the same vibrations.  ?‍♂️

My original suspension lift was 7” FTS kit.  I did have a little vibration with the stock front drive shaft.   I went taller with a Cognito 12” lift and opted for the double cardan drive shaft and problem solved.

0533F750-17A5-4BF9-90C5-8CDA9DA532AF.jpeg

Edited by Kailua Knight
6 hours ago, 6.2Creedmoor said:

Nope, other than the TCC shudder

I read some bad reviews on BDS suspension lift kits with front drive line vibration.  4" is not a very tall lift, but from what I've read on other forums, some trucks experience vibration with 4" lifts.  If you haven't already, call BDS for a solution.  I've searched for a drive shaft that works for a 4" lift and I found nothing. Another alternative is to take it to the drive shaft shop to get it lengthened.  

• 2 weeks later...

I currently have the RC 2.5 inch leveling kit on my 2015 Silverado 2WD on all stock shocks. I am looking to replace all shocks with Bilstein 5100s for the improved ride quality, but I would like a little more ground clearance as well. Just looking for a little more aggressive look and a little more ground clearance for putting around the hunting property, no major off-road stuff with 2WD of course. I think the RC 3.5 inch suspension lift with UCA would give me the look and clearance I want, but I've read several people ripping that off and going with Bilstein due to the ride quality. I'm torn because it looks like I don't need to combine RC spacers with Bilstein shocks. Any suggestions on which route to go? I'm currently running 275/60/20 BFG KO2, but I would like to go up to 285/60/20 when the time comes. 

Finally have my lift done & tires installed.  Fabtech 6” Gen II along with 35x12.50R20 Toyo Open Country AT IIIs on 20x10 -18 Fuel Rebel wheels.  

F5293ADB-F66E-4D74-B3F1-16487AA44A23.jpeg

• Like 5
  • 2 weeks later...

I know this subject has been beaten to death but I am looking for opinions. I recently purchased a 2014 GMC 4 door 4x4 and I am wanting to lift it. The look that I am after is for stance on the road with lite off road. For now i want to maintain my stock 20" wheels. I am thinking 4 - 5"inch is what will work best for me. I want a kit that will maintain ride but not break the bank as well. Any suggestions?

You will get a plethora of answers from members that are biased toward specific brands.  It really comes down to how much you want to spend, and tire size.   I’ve never had a suspension lift smaller than a 7 inches so I can’t recommend 4 or 5 inch lift.  But there a lot of members here that do. My personal  opinion is that any of the name brands like pro-comp, ready lift, rough country, etc will be just fine if all you’re looking for is more clearance and maybe a wider rim and tires...

• Like 1

Finally got the truck done, still plenty to do but think the lift and wheels/tires turned out great. What tire pressure are you guys running in your 35s, trying to find the right pressure for the most comfortable ride. Thanks!

IMG_6927.jpg

• Like 1
9 hours ago, 6.2_Denali said:

Finally got the truck done, still plenty to do but think the lift and wheels/tires turned out great. What tire pressure are you guys running in your 35s, trying to find the right pressure for the most comfortable ride. Thanks!

IMG_6927.jpg

Currently, I'm running 38 PSI on 35x12.5x18 KO2s.
Ride is quite acceptable. YMMV on your wheel size.
BTW, nice looking truck!

Edited by MikeBMW
On 2/28/2021 at 6:33 PM, steve76t said:

Finally have my lift done & tires installed.  Fabtech 6” Gen II along with 35x12.50R20 Toyo Open Country AT IIIs on 20x10 -18 Fuel Rebel wheels.  

F5293ADB-F66E-4D74-B3F1-16487AA44A23.jpeg

Did you have to add a leaf to get the rear even with the front? Looking at getting this lift. Truck looks good.