Magnaflow, Borla GMPP, or Dynomax???

Best 5.3 Muffler Under $200  

72 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hey everyone, I need some advice! I've spent countless hours using the search function, sending PM's to members (and you guys don't need to respond again if you don't want to), and listening to YouTube videos (which suck because you can't hear what they sound like from inside the cab going down the road)...but I still can't make up my mind! I want to do a muffler swap on my truck (details in signature). I don't want to spend the money on a full cat-back system...I'm just going to swap the muffler and cut the factory tail pipe so it dumps over the rear axle. I want the sound to be deep and aggressive under acceleration....but close to stock (no drone) while cruising....and without any goofy stuff going on when it switches to V4 mode. My budget is around $200.

I've narrowed my choices down to 5 different mufflers....and will explain my concerns & reasons for hesitation with each one. In no particular order:

Magnaflow 22" 12589 - I'm concerned about it being too quiet (unless I'm at WOT) for people to even notice, and also worried about drone while cruising (I've heard too many people that complained about magnaflows having drone)

Borla Sport 19131347 - I'm concerned about it being too loud in the cab while cruising and switching V8/V4 (or just too loud in the cab in general)

Borla Touring 19131346 - Basically just concerned that it's going to be too tame, and I won't hardly be able to tell any difference from stock. Not worried about the drone with this one though.

Dynomax VT 17949 - I'm worried about the spring/valve assembly breaking or rattling...and having to get it fixed or replaced after a short period of time. I like the concept, but the moving parts make me nervous.

Dynomax Ultra Flo 20" 17233 - Can't find a single sound clip of this muffler on a 5.3; worried about drone and V8/V4 noise

I would appreciate any advice (or sound clips) you all can provide. I'm a nervous wreck over this situation, and I can only afford to do this once! Also, please skip the comments about Corsa (I know they're awesome, but I refuse to spend that much money on a muffler) and straight pipes (been there, done that...over it).

Thanks in advance everyone!

Edited by The Rod

My first pick would be maggy, only because I have about 8 years combined using different setups always loved each one. Not too loud, but loud enough, nice throaty sound. Never had an issue once.

I wouldn't be opposed to a corsa system either, they sound nice, steel baffle system. Come with a good type of stainless. But both are $$$$$$$$$

Thanks for the replies guys.....but once again....I can't afford Corsa. I'm looking for the next best option. Keep the advice coming! And facts & personal experiences are even better! :thumbs:

So you guys don't think the Borla Sport would be too loud in the cab? I drive a lot of long trips and highway miles.