Magnaflow, Borla GMPP, or Dynomax???

Best 5.3 Muffler Under $200  

72 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think you have made a good choice. Keep the stock exhaust pipe and the stock exit behind the rear wheel for a great sound. It will be a mod that will have people scratching their head looking for your dual exhaust...

Thanks. I think I'm going to cut about 30" off the tail pipe for a cleaner look. I want people scratching their heads looking for my exhaust, period. Haha!

Dynomax Ultra Flo 20" 17233 - Can't find a single sound clip of this muffler on a 5.3; worried about drone and V8/V4 noise

I had this same muffler on my 2009 GMC 5.3, and wouldn't hesitate to put one on my 2013. Good, deep rumble at low speed, roar when you get on it, and NO drone when it goes into AFM operation. I loved it.

JMO

Yeah, I debated on that one, but couldn't find much info on it. :dunno:

You don't think I'd lead you astray, do you?

Anyway, good idea about the pipe dump. I've cut two pipes off at 32" from the end and really like the sound. Add a nice chrome tip for your eyes only. (Jeg's or Summit has 2.75")

100_0280.jpg

• Like 1

Mine is stock, but I'll go w/ the Borla Touring when/if I change. Love the sound from clips, and for $115, it's hard to beat. I just can't bring myself to purposely cut out a perfectly good GM muffler for better sound that will mostly be heard by other folks. I'm usually only interested in hearing my tunes, so louder noise while cruising (from outside the truck) would not be my idea of improvement. The touring seems to give a nice tone from videos I've watched, with minimal impact on inside noise on the road. I haven't heard one in person, so take it as what it is... a poorly formed opinion.

Edited by music

Hey everyone, I need some advice! I've spent countless hours using the search function, sending PM's to members (and you guys don't need to respond again if you don't want to), and listening to YouTube videos (which suck because you can't hear what they sound like from inside the cab going down the road)...but I still can't make up my mind! I want to do a muffler swap on my truck (details in signature). I don't want to spend the money on a full cat-back system...I'm just going to swap the muffler and cut the factory tail pipe so it dumps over the rear axle. I want the sound to be deep and aggressive under acceleration....but close to stock (no drone) while cruising....and without any goofy stuff going on when it switches to V4 mode. My budget is around $200.

I've narrowed my choices down to 5 different mufflers....and will explain my concerns & reasons for hesitation with each one. In no particular order:

Magnaflow 22" 12589 - I'm concerned about it being too quiet (unless I'm at WOT) for people to even notice, and also worried about drone while cruising (I've heard too many people that complained about magnaflows having drone)

Borla Sport 19131347 - I'm concerned about it being too loud in the cab while cruising and switching V8/V4 (or just too loud in the cab in general)

Borla Touring 19131346 - Basically just concerned that it's going to be too tame, and I won't hardly be able to tell any difference from stock. Not worried about the drone with this one though.

Dynomax VT 17949 - I'm worried about the spring/valve assembly breaking or rattling...and having to get it fixed or replaced after a short period of time. I like the concept, but the moving parts make me nervous.

Dynomax Ultra Flo 20" 17233 - Can't find a single sound clip of this muffler on a 5.3; worried about drone and V8/V4 noise

I would appreciate any advice (or sound clips) you all can provide. I'm a nervous wreck over this situation, and I can only afford to do this once! Also, please skip the comments about Corsa (I know they're awesome, but I refuse to spend that much money on a muffler) and straight pipes (been there, done that...over it).

Thanks in advance everyone!

If you want my honest opinion.. and this isn't going to be what you expected on an American Chevrolet Silverado.. but I have a 2005 Silverado crew-cab (2-wheel drive) with the Vortec 5.3 V8 (modified pushing 435 HP) and I went through countless mufflers and couldn't seem to find the right sound/tone I wanted. I went through the all well known brands, such as Magnaflow; Flowmaster; Borla; Quicksilver and so on.

After 2 years of switching through mufflers searching for the right sound I wanted.. I finally got in contact with a neighbor of mine that just happened to have a "TUBI" muffler off of his 2011 Ferrari. Unfortunately for him, some old lady rear-ended him totaling out his prized Ferrari (was a nice car!) and his had some of the "still good parts" for sale. One of them happened to be the performance "TUBI" muffler from the exhaust system. If you want something that sounds absolutely beautiful... and still fairly quiet when just casually driving around.. but absolutely able to spit out that Forumual-F1 sound when you hammer the gas?? I would HIGHLY recommend looking for a good used "TUBI" muffler.

Good luck.

-hogwildmike

• 2 weeks later...

So, I finally got the Borla sport muffler installed, and I've had time to put a few hundred miles on it. Overall, I'm happy with it. I just clamped it in place of the stock muffler, and dumped the tail pipe right before the last bend. Eventually, I'll probably have everything welded, to avoid any problems in the future. I'm glad I didn't go with the touring, because it would be too tame for me. Actually, the sport is much more mild than I expected. At start-up, idle, and very light acceleration, it's about the same volume as the stock muffler, just a deeper tone. And, cruising down the highway, it's only a bit louder than stock, with no resonance. The noise is really just what is coming out of the tail pipe. Interior noise while cruising is about the same level as running aggressive mud tires with stock exhaust. When you get on it, it really comes alive. It sounds very healthy under hard acceleration. The V8/V4/V8 stuff is much more noticeable than stock, but not too annoying I guess. I may look into turning off the AFM in the future anyway. So, if you're looking for a more aggressive muffler than stock, without being too loud, and without drone....then the Borla sport is a good choice...especially for the price.

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

http://www.amazon.com/Borla-40348-Pro-XS-Muffler/dp/B0018JIZF4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405098028&sr=8-1&keywords=Borla+40348+Pro+XS+Muffler

Is this the Borla that everyone has? If not, does anyone have this and how does it sound? Advice please...I'm ready to upgrade!!! Thanks!!!

Ok, so what stock number was the Borla you purchased and installed? Thanks...I think I'm going that way too!

The part numbers are listed on the poll at the top. However, I just tried putting those numbers into Borla's website, and nothing came up. I wonder if they still make it?

• 5 years later...