RAM EcoDiesel $2850 option avail late 2013

RAM EcoDiesel $2850 option avail late 2013

http://www.tflcar.com/2013/06/news-2014-ram-pricing-800-higher-than-2013-ecodiesel-is-most-expensive/

If you watch the video they say it will take less than 3 years to pay back the cost of the diesel option based on its efficiency.

The Jeep Grand Cherokee with same engine and 8 speed transmission achieves 21 city / 28 hwy in 4X4 config. 22 city / 30 hwy 4x2. The RAM EcoDiesel is supposed to get a bit less mpg than the JGC.

Very tempting, I may have to cross over to the dark side if GM doesn't hurry the hell up!

Don't care. It'll be slooooooow.

It has 420 ft lbs of torque which isn't terrible, but I wonder at what RPM? $2800 more for it surprised me because I thought it would cost more than that. Calling it an Ecodiesel though probably does hint at it not really being a workhorse.

It has 420 ft lbs of torque which isn't terrible, but I wonder at what RPM? $2800 more for it surprised me because I thought it would cost more than that. Calling it an Ecodiesel though probably does hint at it not really being a workhorse.

Specs from Jeep Grand Cherokee which has the same 3.0L EcoDiesel

ENGINE TYPE: DOHC 24-valve diesel V-6, iron block and aluminum heads, direct fuel injection

Displacement: 182 cu in, 2987 cc

Power: 240 hp @ 3600 rpm

Torque: 420 lb-ft @ 2000 rpm

TRANSMISSION: 8-speed automatic with manual shifting mode

FUEL ECONOMY (MFR’S EST):

EPA city/highway driving: 21–22 mpg/28–30 mpg

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2014-jeep-grand-cherokee-ecodiesel-v-6-first-drive-review

Don't care. It'll be slooooooow.

Below are times for the jeep grand cherokee with the same motor, the crew cab 5' 7" ram will weigh 100 - 200 lbs more than the jeep.....

0-60 MPH 7.8 sec QUARTER MILE 16.0 sec @ 83.3 mph

I bet a tuner will come out for it and it will absolutely fly!!! I can't wait to test drive one! Might be the wifes new rig!!

The engine is a near bulletproof design, and can net way better economy with few little cheap mods. I'd say properly tuned and set up 30mpg shouldn't be hard to achieve. If an old 12 valve 5.9 can do it, so could this. It's such a shame the EPA is making it so hard to make diesel worth it.

All the new diesels would be amazing fuel economy if it wasn't for the EPA. I mean all that trouble to "help" the planet when all you are doing is puttin people at the pump way more. Doesn't make sense, which is why mine is a 5" pipe right from the turbos, egr thrown in the garbage and pcv is rerouted to the ground LOL screw the EPA.

• 2 weeks later...

They're going to have to bump up the GVWR/payload ratings on the Ram 1500 a *lot* to make it useful for anything. Even with the gas motor, they barely have over 1000 lbs of payload, and a diesel will take away even more. I need every bit of the ~1600 lbs on my truck when towing the camper. A small diesel sounds great for towing, but only if the truck can handle the weight.

Archived