8-speed Transmission!?

3pd ehh, I wouldnt want that on a bike. 10MPG and max speed of 75, no thanks.

Hey now I could pull 11-12 in my '73 c10 with a 350 and 4 barrel and I could also go over 75. Granted doing 90+ = high as hell rpm haha

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really could careless if Ford or Dodge have 8 speed, or even a 10 speed.

This truck has gas mileage I'm very comfortable with.

I guess if you never want any improvements from GM, that's one way to look at it. They have to stay competitive or there will be no GM

I guess if you never want any improvements from GM, that's one way to look at it. They have to stay competitive or there will be no GM

exactly.... they are doing a good job evolving but staying true to the trucks we have been buying. Let Ford build an aluminum F150 if its successful copy it if not let them fail.... I will say I love my 6 speed because its just THAT much better than the 4 speed I had and I bet an 8 would be even better than what I have....

• 3 weeks later...

Cant imagine these trucks being much better, but keep doing it. I have a 92 that's just about perfect and highly modified I have to force myself to drive my other cars. I have a Genesis bought from the same dealer, still rather drive the truck.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

At 40k I had to replace lifters, valves piston rings the whole setup due to the bills hit afm. So I'm at 53k now and been using mid grade fuel, helps alot. I want a tune but don't want to void warranty. I really want to keep this truck for long time but I don't want to replace same sh*t at 100k.

At 40 K, geez truck shouldn't even be broken in good by then. Not broken down, sounds like you got a lemon. At 200 k, you shouldn't have to replace any of that stuff, much less under 50 K. I guess quality control must have been absent the day your truck was built.

More speeds=better fuel economy, that's the reason they're going to it. I can imagine it would be annoying though having constant shifting to keep rpm's down and get that better fuel mileage. Will make for a sluggish, doggy truck but boy it will get great fuel mileage. Even 6 speeds sounds like too many to me, don't need more. I can only imagine how much a rebuild would cost. If you're concerned about fuel mileage buy a prius. If you want power and capability, buy a truck.

At 40k I had to replace lifters, valves piston rings the whole setup due to the bills hit afm. So I'm at 53k now and been using mid grade fuel, helps alot. I want a tune but don't want to void warranty. I really want to keep this truck for long time but I don't want to replace same sh*t at 100k.

At 40 K, geez truck shouldn't even be broken in good by then. Not broken down, sounds like you got a lemon. At 200 k, you shouldn't have to replace any of that stuff, much less under 50 K. I guess quality control must have been absent the day your truck was built.

It's huge issue from 09 to 11 recall. Afm failures and need to rebuild upper with new rings, etc.

Sent from my LG-D803 using Tapatalk

It's huge issue from 09 to 11 recall. Afm failures and need to rebuild upper with new rings, etc.

Sent from my LG-D803 using Tapatalk

Does that include wiped cams at 100k? My dad's 09 5.3 with AFM wiped it's cam right after the warranty was up. Luckily the dealership helped us out by paying for the extended warranty thing where you only pay half

Sent while drinkin' a cold one...

• 3 weeks later...

I think I may be on the other end. To me mpg doesnt matter when I am driving my truck. I know what it gets, but I know what I get out of having a truck. Its a one-all vehicle these days, but it doesnt have to feel like one. I use my truck as a truck quite a bit. When I am driving the daily to and from work, I am very in tune with the mileage. Why? B/c that it what I am after with that vehicle. It saves fuel on my 100-mile daily commute. I dunno,I just look at a truck as a tool, rather then what it has become. Having said that, 6+ spds are killing it for me. I am OK with my 4spd. I actually keep it in 3rd at all times. In anything with 5+ I get annoyed with the amt of shifting that takes place. I get what they are doing, but feels like they are killing the drivability of some of these vehicles. I tow frequently so gear hunting means HEAT to me. Just my opinion of course :) Carry on!

• 4 weeks later...

Haven't read this whole thread but I know for a fact that GM and Ford are working jointly on 9 and 10 speed transmissions right now and have been for over a year. These are projected for the 2016 model year, but that could change. Met the team late last summer or early fall. Who woulda thunk it? That is about all I can say on the matter.

Archived