HID Headlight Bulbs / HID Projector Retrofit

Jeez. $350... why couldn’t GM just stick with the ole normal bulbs so it’ll be an easier upgrade path lol

An upgraded halogen bulb would be terrible compared to any HID output lol. Once D5S bulbs have been out for longer, cost will drop. They’re still relatively new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Trying to find out information on upgrading headlights in this thread is so damn time consuming. There is so much information just spread out. I'm sure there are a few people who know almost every option and the ups and downs. So maybe someone knowledgeable could just quote this post and fill in the blanks and we can sticky it at the front.

Headlight upgrades

2014-2015 sierra slt/denali -

Good - $ - Morimoto HID upgrade- ?

Installation difficulty: 4?

Better - $$ - d2s 4.0 ?

Installation difficulty: 7?

Best - $$$ - fxr 3.0?

Installation difficulty: 9?

I basically made up the answers to this one for use as an example, the expert can edit

2016-2018 sierra slt/denali (upgraded led projectors)

Good - $ -

installation difficulty:

Better - $$ -

installation difficulty:

Best - $$$ -

installation difficulty:

2014-2015 Sierra non-hid

Good - $ -

installation difficulty:

Better - $$ -

installation difficulty:

Best - $$$ -

installation difficulty:

2016-2018 Sierra base headlights

Good - $ -

installation difficulty:

Better - $$ -

installation difficulty:

Best - $$$ -

installation difficulty:

2014-2015 Silverado projector headlights -

Good - $ -

installation difficulty:

Better - $$ -

installation difficulty:

Best - $$$ -

installation difficulty:

2014-2015 silverado el cheapo Halogen headlights

Good - $ -

installation difficulty:

Better - $$ -

installation difficulty:

Best - $$$ -

installation difficulty:

2016 - 2018 silverado high end headlights (don't know what kind they are, edit this)

Good - $ -

installation difficulty:

Better - $$ -

installation difficulty:

Best - $$$ -

installation difficulty:

2016-2018 silverado low end headlights (don't know what kind they are, edit this)

Good - $ -

installation difficulty:

Better - $$ -

installation difficulty:

Best - $$$ -

installation difficulty:

Trying to find out information on upgrading headlights in this thread is so damn time consuming. There is so much information just spread out. I'm sure there are a few people who know almost every option and the ups and downs. So maybe someone knowledgeable could just quote this post and fill in the blanks and we can sticky it at the front.

Headlight upgrades
2014-2015 sierra slt/denali -
Good - $ - Morimoto HID upgrade- ?
Installation difficulty: 4?
Better - $$ - d2s 4.0 ?
Installation difficulty: 7?
Best - $$$ - fxr 3.0?
Installation difficulty: 9?
I basically made up the answers to this one for use as an example, the expert can edit
2016-2018 sierra slt/denali (upgraded led projectors)
Good - $ -
installation difficulty:
Better - $$ -
installation difficulty:
Best - $$$ -
installation difficulty:
2014-2015 Sierra non-hid
Good - $ -
installation difficulty:
Better - $$ -
installation difficulty:
Best - $$$ -
installation difficulty:
2016-2018 Sierra base headlights
Good - $ -
installation difficulty:
Better - $$ -
installation difficulty:
Best - $$$ -
installation difficulty:
2014-2015 Silverado projector headlights -
Good - $ -
installation difficulty:
Better - $$ -
installation difficulty:
Best - $$$ -
installation difficulty:
2014-2015 silverado el cheapo Halogen headlights
Good - $ -
installation difficulty:
Better - $$ -
installation difficulty:
Best - $$$ -
installation difficulty:
2016 - 2018 silverado high end headlights (don't know what kind they are, edit this)
Good - $ -
installation difficulty:
Better - $$ -
installation difficulty:
Best - $$$ -
installation difficulty:
2016-2018 silverado low end headlights (don't know what kind they are, edit this)
Good - $ -
installation difficulty:
Better - $$ -
installation difficulty:
Best - $$$ -
installation difficulty:

2016-2018 Silverado 1500s with LT lights - come stock with HID. About $1200 to upgrade to these. 5 minute install. Easy. Better.

2016-2018 Silverado 1500s with LTZ/High Country lights - come stock with LED. About $1400 to upgrade to these. 5 minute install. Easy. Best.

If you’re upgrading your 2014-2015 Silverado 1500 front end to 2016-2018, you will need the hood, bumper, headlights, grille, and grille shroud to make it work.

2014-2015 LTZ projector headlights are around $300-400. This would be an upgrade if you had the cheaper halogen reflector style headlights that come in the 2014-2015 LT trucks.
Adding H11 HIDs would be another $200 or so. Better. Installation of headlight would take 5 minutes. HID bulb and ballast install would be about 30 minutes.

Hope this helps, I have personal experience upgrading to the 2017 LTZ LED headlights as well as 2015 LTZ headlights with aftermarket LED bulbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 10/24/2017 at 7:45 AM, FastWS6TA said:

For the Sierra? Yes. That code works. We don't sell the 4.0 for Silverado at the moment. Honestly would do the FXR over the 4.0 anyhow.....

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I have 2014 w Oem projectors was thinking of doing the 4.0 swap.   Heard they are better than the FXR and always according to light works what are your thoughts why do you like the FXR better ?

On 2/27/2017 at 5:11 PM, PirateDiesel said:

….does anyone know if the extended dust caps for the Silverado are still available? I see them for sale on Shapeways and messaged the seller but haven’t heard back in over a week. I completed a D2S 4.0 projector swap a few weeks ago and am currently running D2H bulbs so everything will fit under the stock caps (plenty of room with D2H bulbs) but would like to switch to OSRAM D2S bulbs which will require extended caps so everything will fit.

I have 14 Silverado 1500 that want to do this to.  How are you liking yours?

Finally did a fxr retrofit on a 2015 Silverado with factory projectors. Light output is amazing. Used the d2h bulbs and everything did fit under the cap.  It appears I am having issues with my cut off line. It looks as if one side is shadowing the other. The step isn't even, like there are 2 steps side by side instead of 1 distinct step in the middle. Tried taking pics but they don't show the 2 steps. Looks perfect in the pic. Lol  Any idea welcome. Thanks.

On 10/29/2017 at 9:49 PM, FastWS6TA said:

Morimoto MLED Brackets for Silverado are all done. They fit great. No dust cap modification or anything needed. I'll get our website updated this week with them on it.84906ec0bd2a1df7515f648e3757ce37.jpgdaf1610e48991e693e99df0542e10290.jpg

Attempting my own mled retrofit in a set of replica projectors. 3D printed my own brackets, but noticed that the overall mled length from the mounting plate to the end of the lens is about 1/2 inch shorter than the halogen projector. Because of this, the projector sits further back from the trim ring and absolutely kills the side visibility. I also had to modify the passenger side dust cap to fit with the projector in.

My questions are: will your brackets work for this layout or is it strictly for the factory projectors? Do the brackets compensate for the overall length difference? 

On 9/28/2015 at 11:57 AM, RobZ71LM7 said:

Amp Ignitor & Amp to D2S Adapter:

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/components/ballasts/morimoto-xb35-amp-hid-xenon-ballasts.html#.Vglic9JViHo

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/accessories/amp-d2s-ballast-adapter-90-degree.html#.Vgli6tJViHo

D2S Ignitor:

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/components/ballasts/morimoto-xb35-d2s-hid-xenon-ballasts.html#.VgliQ9JViHo

Notice the amount of space behind the bulb. I doubt the shapeways cap can accommodate a D2S ignitor, but can probably accomodate the former. But I could be wrong. I went with the conventional D2S setup for the ability to run OEM ballasts.

How did you solve the dust cap extension? Im good with drilling a hole for the grommet and wires, but how did you extend to clear the DS2 igniter?

Attempting my own mled retrofit in a set of replica projectors. 3D printed my own brackets, but noticed that the overall mled length from the mounting plate to the end of the lens is about 1/2 inch shorter than the halogen projector. Because of this, the projector sits further back from the trim ring and absolutely kills the side visibility. I also had to modify the passenger side dust cap to fit with the projector in.
My questions are: will your brackets work for this layout or is it strictly for the factory projectors? Do the brackets compensate for the overall length difference? 
Hey there. In am still working on the brackets to try and move them forward some. But as far as the dust cap goes, did you take the threaded shaft off of the back of the projector? It should be fit easily with that removed.

How did you solve the dust cap extension? Im good with drilling a hole for the grommet and wires, but how did you extend to clear the DS2 igniter?
Use a d2h bulb. Then you can use an amp igniter and not those big fat d2s. As far as the cap goes, just get a heat fun and heat the back of the cap up so it starts go melt and u can stretch it out. I out them in a bench vise so the cap can sag down while I heat it.

20 minutes ago, FastWS6TA said:

Use a d2h bulb. Then you can use an amp igniter and not those big fat d2s. As far as the cap goes, just get a heat fun and heat the back of the cap up so it starts go melt and u can stretch it out. I out them in a bench vise so the cap can sag down while I heat it.

Great Idea !  Do you have an example of you stretching out the cap?  Also i was leaning to get better bulb choices i really like the philips xtremem gen 2.  Outside of the different bulb options is the light output of a d2h better than h11 rebased HID bulb everything else being equal?  You might be able to talk me into an easier install.  =)

Thanks!

Has anyone retrofired any of the aftermarket housings? would they have the same mounting locations as the stock lights so that could use say FXR swap brackets?

I was going to retrofit my stock lights but i would really like to black them out and would rather just buy new ones instead of trying to remove the lenses on my stock ones to paint them

I was kind of eyeing up these ones:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FOR-2014-2016-GMC-SIERRA-PICKUP-BLACK-HOUSING-AMBER-CORNER-PROJECTOR-HEADLIGHTS/202122435926?hash=item2f0f6f9d56:g:O0UAAOSwzppaFi-I&vxp=mtr