HID Headlight Bulbs / HID Projector Retrofit

Sounds like a bad connection somewhere..... I gave up on Moimoto ballast and relay crap. Hylux all the time now. As a reseller of all these parts it was killing me diagnosing issues. Too many parts to troubleshoot. Hylux hasn't failed yet. Less phone calls and emails.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

A bad connection ‘somewhere’ ..... ugh. Everything seems good. Obviously NOT. Ever had the over heating issue I described?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2018 at 1:53 PM, Fireguy63 said:

Really they aren’t as bright my hids  don’t seem to be as bright as some leds iv seen  is cause leds are in a projector lens vs a reg light houseing 

They are bright but it's important to understand that everything depends on the correct housing (or projector) for the bulb you are using. If you have stock headlights and projectors, nothing will light the road better than a good halogen bulb. If you upgrade your projector, it should be according to what bulb you plan to use. Pretty much the only way to get a good LED setup is to buy the OEM LED headlights. If you just put LED bulbs in there the light will be all over the place and not focused on the road, and maybe it "looks cool" to some people, but its a huge waste of money and your money is likely best spent on a quality conversion. Also, based on everything available, HID's are the hands down best I have seen and they provide the most light directed at the road evenly. There was no question when I was comparing, and for the price for a conversion kit... there's no reason not to do it. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So, I gotta break out the book and see what I have in my truck.  However, I am not complaining about my truck, as I love everything about it. Sure there are things that could be improved and yes lighting is one. So my question is, I see a lot of trucks that appear to have a different headlight assembly. Some with the LED strips for running lights etc. Is there a place to find options for removing the OEM headlights and replacing the whole assembly?  I am looking for different options, if I am going to upgrade something I would like to make it a little more custom looking. What drew my attention to the headlights is the difference between the headlights in my truck and my wife's Buick Enclave...I love how white the Enclave headlights are.

So, I gotta break out the book and see what I have in my truck.  However, I am not complaining about my truck, as I love everything about it. Sure there are things that could be improved and yes lighting is one. So my question is, I see a lot of trucks that appear to have a different headlight assembly. Some with the LED strips for running lights etc. Is there a place to find options for removing the OEM headlights and replacing the whole assembly?  I am looking for different options, if I am going to upgrade something I would like to make it a little more custom looking. What drew my attention to the headlights is the difference between the headlights in my truck and my wife's Buick Enclave...I love how white the Enclave headlights are.
Hey there. Shoot me an email at [email protected]. I can help you out

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

So my final solution was to change my 15 Sierra SLE to an 18 Sierra SLT, having said that I had used the Morimoto HID kit in my 15 and as such had no major problems in the 2 1/2 years they were in there added to that the Morimoto XB led fogs and I found the ideal solution. Just as a foot note the lighting was not the reason I moved up in models, one of the major reasons was heated seats (she must be obeyed is much happier now too) amongst others!

• Like 1

There seem to be a dozen or more HID headlight kits on Ebay.

Are any of the OPT7, Xentec or other $40 to $100 brands reliable?

Should I go 35w or 55w?  I am sure the 35w will be far better than my factory lighting.

Stock bulb size is a 9012 HIR2

Does anyone here have one of these kits?

I see mentions of Morimito spec and some OPT7 as well.

I want to upgrade the factory halogens on my '14 Sierra 1500, without spending $150-$200

18 hours ago, Sierra Dan said:

There seem to be a dozen or more HID headlight kits on Ebay.

Are any of the OPT7, Xentec or other $40 to $100 brands reliable?

Should I go 35w or 55w?  I am sure the 35w will be far better than my factory lighting.

Stock bulb size is a 9012 HIR2

Does anyone here have one of these kits?

I see mentions of Morimito spec and some OPT7 as well.

I want to upgrade the factory halogens on my '14 Sierra 1500, without spending $150-$200

I'm no expert but very satisfied with the 35w Morimoto HID kit from The Retrofit Source.    BEST $180 I've spent on the truck.

Not sure if anyone has had issues with using the 55w bulbs in the factory lights but heard they could burn the bowls?

I will also be installing the Morimoto XB LED fogs to replace the originals-many say this is a worthwhile swap, even at the price.

• Like 1

What are you putting them in I have a set of 9012 for the projecter head light and they are 6000k from DDMtuning and have never had a problem iv used them in all my trucks and cars and iv have had them for about a year and I’m taking of on my 15 Gmc and going to be selling them along with a lot of other stuff I had on the truck  getting rid of the truck 

Edited by Fireguy63

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of chatter in here, but I was unable to stumble across the answer I was looking for. I have a friend who has a 2018 3500 Sierra Denali with the stock HID headlights. The problem is that his stock HID headlights are abysmal to say the least. Has anyone gone through the effort of upgrading these units? Results?

I apologize in advance if this has already been discussed, but before I crack these bad boys open I would like to see what other solutions have been explored.

Here is a thread regarding the D5S bulbs like the one's on your friends Denali HD.   

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/195698-changing-stock-d5s-bulb/

You may try adjusting the stock headlights up a bit first and see if this helps.  Several trucks I have seen have them aimed too low from factory.  Keep in mind the driver's side should be lower to keep from blinding oncoming traffic. 

Have your friend buy a set of Morimoto XB LED foglights.   They do make a difference in light output and won't blind others with glare like those running HID/LED bulbs in place of stockers.

On 4/23/2018 at 9:00 AM, memario1214 said:

A lot of chatter in here, but I was unable to stumble across the answer I was looking for. I have a friend who has a 2018 3500 Sierra Denali with the stock HID headlights. The problem is that his stock HID headlights are abysmal to say the least. Has anyone gone through the effort of upgrading these units? Results?

I apologize in advance if this has already been discussed, but before I crack these bad boys open I would like to see what other solutions have been explored.

Just did this, I have the same headlights.

Fastheadlights, talk to phil, he’s a forum member. d2s mini 4.0 retrofit+ hylux 35watt ballast + morimoto 35w 5500k

Somewhere around $300-$350 for everything, takes about 7 hours (thats how long it took me and I’ve never opened a headlight before) of labor (but mostly on a shop bench which is far less painful than wrenching.) and it’s headlight nirvana. Considerably more light and sharper beam pattern than any nice factory car I’ve been in, and I’ve been in lots of them.

35 watt is really bright and I’m happy I chose them over 55 watt. There are some rare occassions like rural roads at night I’d prefer the 55watts, but you’d be better off going with 35watts and adding a light bar.

Looking to install the morimoto Silverado hid kit on my 15 Silverado LTZ.  Lots of people on this fourm complained the dust caps don't fit back on because of the bulb/bulb connector length.  I did notice that these posts were over a year ago.  Did morimoto change the design recently?  Anyone with the same truck as me do the install and have any issues with the dust caps and bulb length?  Thanks!

Just did an install of HID on my 14 LT Silverado last night I went all hid for fogs high beams and low beams also. 55 watt for the low beams and 35 watts for both high beams and fogs 6000k color for low/high beams. And 3000k (yellow) for fogs but I’m having the issue of lights not working properly I think I have to install the relay harness and the Canbus chip also can anyone confirm that installing this 2 things will make my Gus’s work correctly? Another thing is what did you guys do for the bulb stock cover when installing the HID with the ballast? I left mine out but I’m afraid of moisture and all that stuff.

Will my 55watt low beams melt my housing?

I’m also interested on doing the protector mod but my truck doesn’t have projectors from stock being that it’s an LT model. Can the projector still be added?

Sorry a lot of questions but I want to get input from all of you guys out here thank you!! 4cdec35453baac2ecbbe73f6a0c1a49c.jpg2e3a936d1e566a143712c28d70509736.jpga29a938a4ee0d3f9aa9c61c8f1016778.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you don't add projectors you will be disappointed with your HID's.  They are NOT designed to work correctly in reflector housings (as a side note it's also ILLEGAL to put them in reflector housings for this reason).

• Like 2