HID Headlight Bulbs / HID Projector Retrofit

I built my own harness with a relay and capacitor for error correction, I used a 4700 microfarad 16v capacitor, I have been using it for a week and it has given me no problems, its has been working great during day and night, i'm using a 5000k 55w kit, but i'm thinking of changing it for a 5000k 35w because when I put my hand on the headlight I cant keep it there for more than 15 seconds, the heat it's unbearable but the headlamp does not feel that hot, do you guys think that my housing will melt?? or is it just the effect of the projector focusing the light into my hand and heating it???

IMG_0195_zps75844984.jpg

IMG_0193_zps7bfb353c.jpg

IMG_0197_zps652bd684.jpg

IMG_0194_zps6dac4480.jpg

Anyone else notice the 2014 Sierra-style lights on the 2015 Canyon?

I'm starting to wonder if GM realized the bi-halogen projectors were a bad idea. They dropped the Sierra's dual-function projector setup and instead went with a separate lens/bulb for the highs, similar to the 2014 Silverado's, 2015 Tahoe/Yukon's, & 2015 Colorado's setup (see attached pic)

post-34923-0-43955800-1390248053_thumb.jpg

Edited by MotoMedic
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking about attempting the the Sierra Projector Retrofit. Do you think this kit will work?

fwlqx3.jpg

Yes you can do the projector swap.. all you need to know is the lens size of your headlight projector in order to get the correct part.

Edited by MotoMedic

Ok if I have an LT with reg lights can this mod be done ? Or will I have to buy new headlight housing ? And will the high beam work if I tie it into the shutter ? Thanks for any info

You can do it with the Regular LT headlight.. you just need a shroud to cover the projector..

A you can use either 2.5" or 3" with regular LT headlights..

Edited by MotoMedic

Comparision between the Silverado factory Projector with HID and Fx-R bi-xenon projector with HID

Factory Silverado Projector with HID:

IMG_1607_zps6aff69b1.jpg

IMG_1609_zps03e564d2.jpg

Silverado with Fx-r Projector HID

IMG_7013_zps26d727f1.jpg

IMG_7011_zps497942ad.jpg

Edited by block8head
  • Like 3

Has anyone seen the HID kits made by Oracle? They have a digital ballast available that says has all the capacitors and resistors built in. They still recommend a relay harness for power draw but nothing else is needed. They also have a 24 watt HID system. They are the first I've ever seen to post it actually runs 30% cooler then the 35 watt. The digital ballast is a little pricey but for those wanting a direct plug and play this is the closest I've seen. They still don;t have the 9012 bulb so you still have to modify a 9006.

Edited by Bbowen826

I've got the 55 watt DDM 9006 4500K bulbs in my SLT... I thought they may be a bit on the bright side but no doubt are nice.. so far no melted parts and hopefully it will stay that way..

on another note and maybe this should be another thread something that I've noticed since installing my HID's and for all I know it could have been the same way with the original stock bulbs.. I start my truck in the garage, the headlights illuminate as the twilight sensor says it's dark... the nav system also says it's dark and is on night mode... so I drive out of the garage into the daylight and within a couple minutes the sensor says it's daytime and the nav display goes into day mode but the headlights stay on... sometimes if the sun is really bright the headlights will shut off as they should just leaving the DRL's or more often I just turn the headlight knob fully counter clockwise and shut them off myself and then they stay off until the next time the sensor says it's dark and turns the headlights back on... anybody else see the same thing?

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone tried HIDextra.com by some chance? I'm looking at going with their 'factory white' kit. I'm looking at them cause they have a 25W ballast that hopefully won't burn the housing.

I'm hoping their factory white kit matches the LED strips

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Did my DDM's this last weekend. Headlights were a piece of cake with the help of the wiring diagram Moto has drawn up. I used only one capacitor on the passenger side and used just the relay harness for the drivers side, eliminating the factory connection completely on the drivers side, everything works perfect. We had the most trouble with the fog light HID bulbs fitting into the light housing. The tapered edge on the HID's is larger than the factory bulb, plus not a lot of room to get in there to press them in. We couldn't actually get them to snap in but they are snug, pulling on the bulb they don't come out so only time will tell. If condensation is evident after a rain they will have to come out and re-install them somehow. Anyone else have this issue with the fog HID's from DDM? Attached a pic, she's almost done, 2.5 inch lift, TUFF wheels, 285/55R20 Nitto Terra Grapplers, custom Gator Back mud flaps, Putco box rails, Truxedo cover. Custom grill to come, and maybe a chrome bully bar for the front bumper.

Did you get any spare O-rings with your kit? (sometimes they include, sometimes they forget to) If so, try changing rings on fog bulbs and they might fit better.

Butyl rubber around the base will help hold them in and keep out moisture :thumbs: