HID Headlight Bulbs / HID Projector Retrofit

On 6/24/2018 at 7:48 AM, truckguy82 said:

Imo whenever telling someone not to install hid’s in stock non-projector housings, I don’t think the illegal arguement is much motivation.

the real reason not to do is because it makes you an a-hole

Oh, I agree, but if they're dumb enough to do it, they're probably ignorant of the law as well, because, you know, they saw it on youtube.

I have a habit of giving these maroons a face full of my brights when I pass them.  Wife gets mad at me, but I figure, heck, if you're going to blind me, I'm going to blind you.  Fair trade as far as I see it.

• 1 month later...
On 5/14/2018 at 5:04 PM, Pbjayyy said:

Here is a link to the bulbs I purchased. 

https://www.carid.com/lumen/g8-led-conversion-kit-h7-mpn-h7xxhlc-g8.html

Are you happy with the quality of the Anzo's?  I like the look of them but have seen enough people with issues that I haven't pulled the trigger on them yet.

34 minutes ago, Darmichar said:

Are you happy with the quality of the Anzo's?  I like the look of them but have seen enough people with issues that I haven't pulled the trigger on them yet.

Yes I really like them.  Have seen the issues others talk about but I have yet to have any.  They have stayed aligned, no signs of leaking or fogging, and the projectors aren’t too bad. These paired with the Morimoto fogs perform really well and look really sharp too

On 8/2/2018 at 9:07 PM, Pbjayyy said:

Yes I really like them.  Have seen the issues others talk about but I have yet to have any.  They have stayed aligned, no signs of leaking or fogging, and the projectors aren’t too bad. These paired with the Morimoto fogs perform really well and look really sharp too

Thanks for the feedback.  I may just have to get them after all.

• 2 weeks later...

New to the thread. have been browsing through the comments and have found some good information.

I do have a few questions though.

1. I have a 2014 Silverado 1500 High Country, it has the factory projector lens for low beam, Is this an HID Projector lens? Can I just put in a HID kit and be fine?

2. If it is not HID Projector lens, has anyone had any luck with after market complete replacements? So I would not have to cut my OEM myself. I have specifically been looking for after market ones that look like the OEM. Specifically https://www.protuninglab.com/20chsi15253512.html  .

3. If I do end up having to buy just a HID Lens and mod my OEM what is the most recent census on the HID KITS out there? Since it has been a few years now are there any good reliable ones? If so where can I get it, and what parts are needed if not all parts are in the kit?

please and thank you everyone.

• Like 1

I have an LT so I have reflectors but I can answer your questions:

1.  Yes they are low beam and are HID-ready projectors (you just have halogen bulbs currently).

2.  You can use the projectors as-is but some people have not been happy with them.  If not then you would need to do a projector retrofit like you linked to.

3.  If you just put HID bulbs and ballast in there are tons of options out there.  Lots of people have had good and bad experiences with different brands but this kit seems to get great reviews:

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/2014-silverado-morimoto-elite.html 

Yeah, the 14-15 LTZ/HC low beams are projectors.  They are not really HID projectors but the HID kits work fine in them.  Some swear by doing a retrofit with real HID projectors but I'm running HIDs in the stock projectors and it works great.  Would it be brighter with real HID projectors?  Maybe, probably.  But it's fine with the stock projectors and 100x brighter than with the halogen bulbs.

2 hours ago, MegaCode360 said:

Yeah, the 14-15 LTZ/HC low beams are projectors.  They are not really HID projectors but the HID kits work fine in them.  Some swear by doing a retrofit with real HID projectors but I'm running HIDs in the stock projectors and it works great.  Would it be brighter with real HID projectors?  Maybe, probably.  But it's fine with the stock projectors and 100x brighter than with the halogen bulbs.

and you have no issues with heat?
What kit do you have installed?

I will be troubleshooting my 2014+ elite morimoto hid kit. Both lights went out about 6 months ago and am finally getting around to do some investigating.

2015 Silverado LT Midnight Edition
4.5” CST suspension lift
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

40 minutes ago, chrispassas21 said:

Another question for someone, are the HIDs supposed to be on during the daytime like the normal halogen DRLs?.

4.5” CST suspension lift

Don't know about HIDs, But my LED's run during the day ,I just switch them off.

• Like 1

Don't know about HIDs, But my LED's run during the day ,I just switch them off.

I’m guessing everything will run during the daytime then. Thanks for your input!!

4.5” CST suspension lift

On the 14-15 trucks, the hid’s will be on during the day because they are set as the drl’s. You can buy a drl harness that can eliminate it or switch the drl function to your fog lamps. I have the morimoto kit and have just left them as is. We’ll see what kind of life I get out of them. The lifespan will definitely be shortened though due to being switched on/off a lot more than neccessary.

• Like 1