HID Headlight Bulbs / HID Projector Retrofit

7 hours ago, billmansfield03 said:

I have been reading this thread and doing some research. As of this morning I was ready to pull the trigger and order the retro kit from lightwerkz until I saw the kit from fastheadlights and noticed there is not a relay harness. Can anyone tell me why that is. I really want to do a retro fit with hid lights but want it to be right. Also is it worth doing 50watt ballasts over 35watt

The Hylux ballasts don’t require a relay harness to keep constant power. 50w will be a little brighter, but will slowly kill the bulb faster and possibly burn the bowls in a projector. 

e6a80d5ac7d9d557386b8b4c4056ecce.jpg

1493d0951f71b49b0b3207e3ce65d54a.jpg

2576652be5d9e329b009da141b135ae7.jpg

The 5500k is def a little warmer in these 5.0’s, but that doesn’t bother me. I did it for the safety and visibility over looks. I could only get 3 of the 4 screws on the back of the projector, but it’s still rock solid in there. That color flicker is awesome and so much more focused light than my pnp’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 2/15/2019 at 3:16 PM, billmansfield03 said:

I have been reading this thread and doing some research. As of this morning I was ready to pull the trigger and order the retro kit from lightwerkz until I saw the kit from fastheadlights and noticed there is not a relay harness. Can anyone tell me why that is. I really want to do a retro fit with hid lights but want it to be right. Also is it worth doing 50watt ballasts over 35watt

I can’t tell you why they don’t need a relay harness, but they were super easy to install and they fire up every time with no issues.

I was having the debate about 35w vs 50w. I am so happy I went with the 35w.

Best way to decribe the light output of the 35w/projector retrofit......take brightest and clearest oem headlight you’ve ever seen, and add like 20% to that, and that’s how bright it is.

I would be in constant anxiety of blinding the crap out of people had I chosen the 50w bulbs.

If you need that much more light, get a light bar so you atleast have the option for “normal” headlights.

• Like 1

Thank you guys for the positive feedback and posting progress pics!
The Hykux ballasts font require the typical relay harness because they have a lower (wider) voltage range for operation do therefore the direct 12 volt related power from the battery isn't needed in order to get them to fire.
Diode Dynamics has a nice research article on 35 vs 55 watt (scroll down the page). https://www.diodedynamics.com/info/research/hid/hid-brightness.html#wattage
In my experience the brightness of the 50 watt systems makes for a weird driving experience at night. It is so bright when on low beam that the dark area above the unlit zone seems almost pitch black. Your eyes cant make the transition between the two zones due to the extreme contrast. For me, it literally feels like only half the road is lit. Lit really bright, but not being able to see anything above the cutoff is scary. Again, my experience and much based on my own eyes and preference.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

4f80fb688ab1fd1853351fa82e041090.jpg

You can see how small the hotspot is on the halogen vs HID. I can’t wait to get the trim painted so I can get these installed. Hopefully I’ll be finishing up the other side tomorrow night after work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I used these adapters that were leftover from my h11 hid bulbs.  https://www.theretrofitsource.com/headlight-socket-adapters.html?preselect=49229      Using these makes it a breeze using @FastWS6TA kit.  The new spades on the back of the D2h bulbs wouldn't fit inside my sockets.  You can snip the plug end off, or try and snip the spades to fit and then electrical tape them into place, but I wanted a solid connection without cutting my wiring.

I would highly recommend Phils kit here.  https://www.fastheadlights.com/product-p/d2s50_chevy_retrofit-kit_hylux.htm

I also plan on upgrading my high beam halogens to some 9011 hir1 bulbs when I can find some.  

Edited by cbrsilv15

Did the gap open up at all compared to stock.?  Hard to tell from the pics.  Looks good.  Also skip the HIR bulbs, I went down that road a few years ago until Diode Dynamics came out with the SL1, HIR bulbs were no better than stock, maybe just a tad, SL1’s were much brighter than both and properly focused.

Gaps around the projector are the same. Nice clean oem look. I’m cool on spending $150 for some led bulbs that’ll only get used once in a while. The vixen on highs will be plenty bright and the added lux with the hir bulbs will be fine.   $20>$150

• Like 1

10-4.  Unless you can find an old genuine toshiba bulb, don’t waste your $20.  Today’s “HIR” bulbs are not made with the technology toshiba patented years ago then stopped making, they are just over driven bulbs.  Both my philips “HIR” bulbs failed within the year, they don’t like high beam applications where they are turned on and off constantly on dark roads and the gain was nothing.

• Like 1

Question about the Fast Headlights Mini D2S projector upgrade...You don't get any shaking from the bulbs do you?  Like you hit a bump and you can see the headlight jiggle on the road?  I've pulled the dust cap on the driver side (I have a 16 Sierra with the factory HID) and you can move the bulb up and down with your hand a little bit which I'm confident is what causes the jiggling.  Weather will hopefully turn here soon and I'm itching to pull the trigger on this upgrade.  I'm a headlight upgrade and a tune away from not wanting to look at another vehicle for a looooong time!  I have the 35w upgrade bulbs (DDM tuning flavor) and I've had a handful of times when one of those bastards doesn't fire and that fires me up!!!

Question about the Fast Headlights Mini D2S projector upgrade...You don't get any shaking from the bulbs do you?  Like you hit a bump and you can see the headlight jiggle on the road?  I've pulled the dust cap on the driver side (I have a 16 Sierra with the factory HID) and you can move the bulb up and down with your hand a little bit which I'm confident is what causes the jiggling.  Weather will hopefully turn here soon and I'm itching to pull the trigger on this upgrade.  I'm a headlight upgrade and a tune away from not wanting to look at another vehicle for a looooong time!  I have the 35w upgrade bulbs (DDM tuning flavor) and I've had a handful of times when one of those bastards doesn't fire and that fires me up!!!

Mine are rock solid.
  • Like 1

The bulb holders on the new 5.0 projectors are an improvement over the 4.0. The 4.0 was solid just a bit more of a hassle to get the bulb holders on and bulb in place. 5.0 is easier. You should have no jiggle at all.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk