HID Headlight Bulbs / HID Projector Retrofit

I personally have a DDM single input harness, so I only used a single capacitor.

DDM single & dual input harnesses both only have one relay. The single & dual terminology only relates to the number of factory signal inputs.

The key is making sure the capacitor(s) is the first thing connected to the stock wiring, not the relay or ballasts.

-If you have a single input harness, you'll need one capacitor between it and the one source (the passenger headlight factory output). In this situation, you must flip/reverse the connection before it goes into the capacitor.

-If you have a dual input harness you should put two capacitors between the wiring harness ends and the two sources (driver and passenger headlight factory outputs). In this situation, you will not flip or reverse any connections.

Edited by MotoMedic
  • Like 2

okay so back to the HID coonversation. Can someone with 25W HIDs or LED bulbs (that are equivalent in brightness to HIDs) for the fog lights because my HIDs that I just put in a few days ago are aleady leaving small marks on the top of my housing -_-

i will post pictures late on when it stops raining and I can get a chance to go take pics. Thanks in advance. Also has anyone ever seen a standalone projector retrofit housing for a fog light application. I wouldn't mind trying that. I think it would be more effective as well.

No (current) LED bulbs will even come close to the output of HIDs.

Several companies make stand alone HID lights. Vision-X has some pricey ones but I'm sure you can find more economical models. Your trouble will be fitting/mounting; fabricating custom brackets will almost certainly be required.

• Like 1

Hey all new here - as I am in process of buying a 2014 Silverado. I plan on installing an HID Kit just a few questions.

I've only installed one kit before on my old mustang, that used bi-beams - and used the stock reflector housing :rolleyes: - so pretty much just hooked up the kit and was done.

• What are most doing for their high beams for Silverado? I saw on another forum some replacing with CREE leds
  • I saw a couple people here replace the stock projectors with FX-R's - I too will probably replace the stock as well after seeing bock8head's and others photo comparisons - though does anyone have idea of performance difference of the FX-R's and the RX350 with STi-R lens?

Don't think I will do the fog's right now with the melting being a toss up.

Thanks.

Koatiq...

How do you use your brights: quick flashing? or extended use?

HID's take several seconds to reach full intensity, so they aren't very good at quickly alerting/flashing other drivers. If you drive a lot of dark back roads, then HID highs might be useful.

For GMC owners...

I talked to shop that will be attempting to retrofit a HID projector retrofit in a 2014 Sierra (I'm holding off mentioning his company, because I don't want his inbox to get flooded! ha). Will let y'all know the details as soon as I hear back from him.

Edited by MotoMedic

okay so back to the HID coonversation. Can someone with 25W HIDs or LED bulbs (that are equivalent in brightness to HIDs) for the fog lights because my HIDs that I just put in a few days ago are aleady leaving small marks on the top of my housing -_-

i will post pictures late on when it stops raining and I can get a chance to go take pics. Thanks in advance. Also has anyone ever seen a standalone projector retrofit housing for a fog light application. I wouldn't mind trying that. I think it would be more effective as well.

Hey Mike, what brand HIDs did you use? Most companies say they have 25watt kits when they really aren't. The only company I have ever seen to actual post numbers and prove they have a cooler running kit is Oracle with their 24watt kit. It's still possible even with a true 25 watt kit it is still just to hot for the fogs.

Koatiq...

How do you use your brights: quick flashing? or extended use?

HID's take several seconds to reach full intensity, so they aren't very good at quickly alerting/flashing other drivers. If you drive a lot of dark back roads, then HID highs might be useful.

For GMC owners...

I talked to shop that will be attempting to retrofit a HID projector retrofit in a 2014 Sierra (I'm holding off mentioning his company, because I don't want his inbox to get flooded! ha). Will let y'all know the details as soon as I hear back from him.

Most of the time will be extended use on back roads...not a lot of flashing or alerting needed.

Yea I had thought about just another kit and just use the stock reflector housing - as it will not be continuous use and no need to worry about blinding others as shouln't have on with other traffic.

Edited by Kaotiq

Okay so as I said I would, here's the pics. And I know that the mark is small but keep in mind that they have only run for about 35-40 mins at most for a single useage without a few hours to cool down. py5umyhy.jpg3aty6eba.jpg

Mark is above the bulb, directly above it actually

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comments by FastHeadlights (New York) on Sierra HID projector retrofits:

"Install went okay. It needs a 3" FX-R but I only had a 2.5" set in stock. Not a big deal but I think it would have been a slightly easier install with the 3". Still will have to do a good bit of dremel work... they're not something that will just bolt up. The D2S Mini would probably be a better fit. They're a great unit and with a slimmer body, likely fitting with less trimming on the mounting bracket, but they aren't a FX-R! The 3" will be the next one I do (whenever that may be)."

Comments by FastHeadlights (New York) on Sierra HID projector retrofits:

"Install went okay. It needs a 3" FX-R but I only had a 2.5" set in stock. Not a big deal but I think it would have been a slightly easier install with the 3". Still will have to do a good bit of dremel work... they're not something that will just bolt up. The D2S Mini would probably be a better fit. They're a great unit and with a slimmer body, likely fitting with less trimming on the mounting bracket, but they aren't a FX-R! The 3" will be the next one I do (whenever that may be)."

Ahh so I guess the D2S Mini's may not be as good as I was hoping...was thinking they would be pretty comparable to the FX-Rs.

We'll see...I'll test em out and if not happy guess I'll send back for an exchange.

Decided to go with:

Lows:

D2S Morimoto HID 5000k - Morimoto Mini D2S 3.0 Retrofit

Highs:

VLEDs 9005 5K CXA Kit

Fogs:

VLEDs 5202 5K Bulb

All on order - Fogs are back ordered.

Just FYI: the 5000K LED's are whiter than 5000K HIDs. If you want them to match closer, up the LEDs to 6000K -or- drop the HIDs to 4500K.

Any thoughts on the LUMENS XENON HID CONVERSION KIT for the Sierra Denali.trucks

Not familiar but after looking, their ballasts share the same type housings as the China stuff. See if you can find out where they're manufactured. If they say US/Canada, odds are they're lying.