In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

HID Headlight Bulbs / HID Projector Retrofit

• 4 weeks later...

i have a 2015 gmc sierra sle carbon 22 edition, ended up buying the 2015 GMC HD 2500 LED lights with the DRL in them. opened them up and swapped projectors for the rx350's with the sti-r clear lenses that were optically tuned and paired them with the xb35 morimoto ballasts and d2s 35w morimoto bulbs, diode dynamic switchback DRL. had nothing but problems with them, including the 7443 switchback bulbs from morimoto which i've replaced 3 times in less than a year. ended up re-opening and ditching all things morimoto for the 4th gen 45w hylux ballasts, the new osram 66240 cbb 7000K 35w bulbs, and the 7443 gtr lighting carbide switchback turn signals. shouldn't have let myself be convinced originally to go with the morimoto shit as it was against my better judgement but i listened to a seasoned retrofitter and wasted ton of money and time on subpar equipment. light output is far superior, i enjoy the color temp more its not really 7000k its more like 5500K as i know the higher watt ballasts step down the color temp some as well. much better performing component combination to compliment the rx350 and sti-r lens. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/3/2019 at 10:49 PM, mr4wdLTZ said:

Here are some night shots.

mini D2S 5.0 kit with 35 watt hylux ballasts. 5500K D2S bulbs.

The D2S exceeded my expectations once I was able to line them up and take a drive tonight. The 5.0 is on or with my FXRs in my old trucks. With a fraction of the modification necessary to make it work.

the splitter that allows the bi-xenon high beam function in conjunction with the factory halogen high beams really enhances the brights. I did add some syllabi’s silverstar ultra 9005s while I had it all apart. Better than stock but not the same color temperature. That’s ok. The output is outstanding. 

i highly recommend @FastWS6TA kits.

07557AB3-5538-42F8-B7DF-5E74AA2F4CD6.jpeg

2579537C-D7C5-4B5F-98AC-6A470E0D3D1D.jpeg

Hey man, I see you mention that you use D2S Bulbs with this setup.  Which D2S Bulbs are you using and with what connectors?  I'm running D2H bulbs as most use with this retrofit because I was worried D2S Bulbs with connectors would not fit under the stock headlight caps.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/11/2019 at 9:24 PM, Keith Rox said:

i have a 2015 gmc sierra sle carbon 22 edition, ended up buying the 2015 GMC HD 2500 LED lights with the DRL in them. opened them up and swapped projectors for the rx350's with the sti-r clear lenses that were optically tuned and paired them with the xb35 morimoto ballasts and d2s 35w morimoto bulbs, diode dynamic switchback DRL. had nothing but problems with them, including the 7443 switchback bulbs from morimoto which i've replaced 3 times in less than a year. ended up re-opening and ditching all things morimoto for the 4th gen 45w hylux ballasts, the new osram 66240 cbb 7000K 35w bulbs, and the 7443 gtr lighting carbide switchback turn signals. shouldn't have let myself be convinced originally to go with the morimoto shit as it was against my better judgement but i listened to a seasoned retrofitter and wasted ton of money and time on subpar equipment. light output is far superior, i enjoy the color temp more its not really 7000k its more like 5500K as i know the higher watt ballasts step down the color temp some as well. much better performing component combination to compliment the rx350 and sti-r lens. 

Hylux ballast is the key. Morimoto bulbs are fine

7 hours ago, truckguy82 said:

Hylux ballast is the key. Morimoto bulbs are fine

morimoto ballasts are garbage, and my experience with the led bulbs they make for all things other than headlights do not seem to last long and suffer heat degradation with a much higher failure rate than every other major brand i’ve used. i’ve outfitted no less than 10 of my family members cars with all LED bulbs for interior and accent lighting and i’ve had to replace morimoto on numerous occasions. i’ve not had a single failure from any of the other brands, not once in 5 years. their headlight bulbs might be a different story as my experience with them is limited to this one experience and i didn’t try them with the hylux bulbs but they definitely have a subpar lux output comparatively to the top osram and philips bulbs. they are a budget bulb though so i think that’s kind of the significant take away is you can afford to replace them 2-3x’s as often if cost is your primary concern.

So I have the 35W system........issue that just stated a month ago is as follows:

drivers side would work sometimes ......then go out.......now its out completely:

I tested the bulb, wiring, adaptor and I am at a loss.......I am guessing it is the ignitor or the ballast.....

Thoughts .... 

• 3 weeks later...

My 2015 Sierra. G5-R, CBI, Hylux 35watt. When you attach the bracket to the headlight there is a little play with the screw holes so my drivers side seems like it has to be rotated counter clockwise a little bit. Over all the light output is amazing. CBI's are a little warmer than my morimoto fogs, CBB's would probably match a little better. 

25ft from garage door

20190824_205427.thumb.jpg.dfa8b0590396d504a8a6fa3937d92a85.jpg

20190824_205433.jpg

Edited by BlackZ71SLT

Hey guys

For some reason the discount code at Fastheadlights wasn't working. I fixed it and it should be good to go now. It can be used on HID kits and Retrofit kits. Just a note, the FXR projector is being discontinued and will no longer be offered. The D2S 5.0 essentially has made it obsolete. Farewell FXR, it's been real. Lol.
Discount code is gm_forum10%

Enjoy

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

https://www.fastheadlights.com/product-p/buy_hid_kit.htm

This kit is much better than the Morimoto Elite kit. The Morimot kit requires a relay harness and to be honest the 35 watt igniter/ballast from Morimoto have been very unreliable. I stopped selling the Morimoto Elite system because I was going crazy with troubleshooting and processing warranty claims. The Hylux ballast is much simpler and has been far more reliable. Its asplug n play as it gets.

You can also upgrade your fog lights to the Morimoto XBLED fog lights to improve output and beam distribution. Those are listed on the site above as well. They are also plug n play.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

If I already have the HID kit from TRS, can I buy just the Hylux ballasts to replace my morimoto ballasts? I’ve have them kit installed for about a year and a half and have went through 3 ballasts so far and one bulb. Plus for the price of your kit, I can get a whole new kit for the price of the parts from TRS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk