Exhaust Adaptive Valve

Anyone else notice the "adaptive valve" just after the muffler? Looks like it's a simple spring-operated flapper valve. Explains why, when I rev my engine, the intake is louder than the exhaust! ha

Got my Magnaflow 5x8x18 today... add it to this week's "To Install" list.

Anyone else notice the "adaptive valve" just after the muffler? Looks like it's a simple spring-operated flapper valve. Explains why, when I rev my engine, the intake is louder than the exhaust! ha

Got my Magnaflow 5x8x18 today... add it to this week's "To Install" list.

Before and after video please!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I assume it is the same as what the corvettes have had for several years as an option with the butterfly valve that opens under hard acceleration to make the exhaust louder. There may be a fuse somewhere you can pull that will leave it open.

It's a dumb-valve, as in spring tension is the only thing that controls opening/closing. Looking at it up close, I'm surprised how inefficient the shape is... maybe it helps the truck perform better when in V4 mode..? Dunno. I'm no exhaust expert, but it sure looks like it would really disrupt any smooth/laminar flow the exhaust might have had.

*EDIT: It normally swings both ways freely, but I had to open it in reverse for the pic b/c of the metal slag left over when pipe was cut so close to valve.

post-34923-0-88952400-1374607399_thumb.jpg

Edited by MotoMedic
  • Like 2

Oh yeah, I installed my 5x8x18 Magnaflow muffler today. I decided to leave in the resonator (it's near the spare tire on 2014's) for now so I could judge volume/drone with new muffler. Before there was virtually no sound from the exhaust. Under hard acceleration you could only hear the intake. Now it sounds like a normal truck. A little bit at idle and a good clean sound when accelerating but nothing loud or "look at me" annoying. For those that want to be heard, I definitely suggest removing the resonator and going with a smaller muffler (that's if you're buying the straight flow-through style; chambered mufflers like Flowmaster might sound completely different).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
This has nothing to do with your exhaust motomedic, but on your truck did you get both the sliding and defrost rear glass, was building online and trying to figure out which configurations had it.

The preferred package has it...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

• 1 month later...

Oh yeah, I installed my 5x8x18 Magnaflow muffler today. I decided to leave in the resonator (it's near the spare tire on 2014's) for now so I could judge volume/drone with new muffler. Before there was virtually no sound from the exhaust. Under hard acceleration you could only hear the intake. Now it sounds like a normal truck. A little bit at idle and a good clean sound when accelerating but nothing loud or "look at me" annoying. For those that want to be heard, I definitely suggest removing the resonator and going with a smaller muffler (that's if you're buying the straight flow-through style; chambered mufflers like Flowmaster might sound completely different).

would replacing the stock muffler void the warranty because of that valve?