Seeking AFM Info

I just took advantage of all the year end rebates and brought home a new Silverado 1500 ECRB LT truck. I never owned a truck with AFM before. I've read a lot about it on here, mostly bad stuff. I guess I thought they must have perfected it by now so I didn't worry about it while shopping. It's only been 4 days but I notice it. Seems like extra gear shifts most of the time. Can anyone tell me what to expect? For instance, I thought it only engaged during freeway speed driving on level roads. I find it coming on at 40 mph on any and all city streets. Is this normal? Thanks for any input.

Buy the Range AFM delete or custom tune it and bye bye AFM

Sent from my Samsung GS4 using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

Buy the Range AFM delete or custom tune it and bye bye AFM Sent from my Samsung GS4 using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

What and where do I find and buy this Range AFM Delete? What is it exactly?

Cqn be purchased on auto anything or their website. On the left side of the page you will see a small ad for them. It will take you to theor page. They have a forum doscount code too.

It just plugs in under the dash and does its magic. When you go in for service pull it and it leaves no trace. It just alters the AFM programming while plugged in

Sent from my Samsung GS4 using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

the range thing is new - perfect if all you're after is stopping afm. there's a big thread in here about that product if you do a search.

if you ever plan on anything else - a custom tune is the way to go. i have a black bear tune and have been happy. justin did some tweaks for the engine and tranny... and if i ever do any real mods or even something like change tire size he can correct it in the the tune.

my biggest concern with afm was the chance of oil consumption issue. i turned mine off i think around 5k miles. the extra mpg is not a concern to me... i'd rather hope i don't have oil consumption issues down the road some day.

Thanks for the info and link. I read the the pinned thread on AFM and oil consumption (too soon for me to participate in the poll). What I don't understand is how the AFM "causes" the oil consumption. Have the causes ever been determined?

I did the same thing and took advantage of the deals and got a 2013 at the end of May. While dealer was doing some of the final stuff I wanted done before picking it up, I ordered the Range module. It got put in as soon as it showed up. Didn't have 250 miles on the pickup yet.

I would highly recommend this unit. It is not terribly expensive, and it is a great solution instead of a full blown tune to the ECM, which may or may not be an issue if you have some warranty claim. Each person has their comfort zone in that regard. The Range module does not write code or change anything in the ECM. It just sends the appropriate signal to the ECM to stay out of AFM mode. From Experience, it will block the Onstar from doing it's monthly diagnostics. Just have the module off on the scheduled day Onstar does this once a month if you want the report. Same is true if you request diagnostics check.

As a side note.... it will stay out of AFM most of the time if you operate in manual mode on the transmission. M5 or below. I live rural and run a lot of two lane roads, gravel roads, etc and can easily stay in M5 or lower a lot of the time. I did some sampling on my own, and the AFM has shown no time being activated. So the manual mode must do similar to the Range Module. We now only plug the module in when we know we will be hitting the 4 lane and operating in Drive instead of Manual.

There is another mod I would suggest you do to your pickup on the engine. Simple yet very effective. But will leave that one for another day. Work on one problem at a time.

Thanks for the info and link. I read the the pinned thread on AFM and oil consumption (too soon for me to participate in the poll). What I don't understand is how the AFM "causes" the oil consumption. Have the causes ever been determined?

I don't think GM or anyone has it totally figured out. But many that were having the oil consumption issue saw it reduced considerably when they disabled the AFM. I, and a few others, are also moving in the direction of catching vaporized oil that is making it thru the PCV line to the intake. This is happening on almost every engine being made, regardless of brand. I installed an oil catch can inline on the PCV between the valve cover and intake manifold and it has collected a considerable amount of oil.... almost a shot glass worth in 1000 miles. Since it is common knowledge in the performance engine community that oil getting into the combustion will cause a lower octane, pre-detonation, and intake valve buildup. The ECM will revert to a low octane setting and retard timing and such to prevent the pre-detonation. Now, whether this is attributable also to the oil consumption issue and engine problems in conjunction with the AFM, who knows at this point. Some of us are just taking every precaution available to bring risk of a problem down to as close to zero as we can. At least one doesn't have to take out a second mortgage or loan to do these little fixes.

Cowpie,

Thanks for the info in both posts. I have a line on the Range Tech part from someone here who bought it by mistake. Is there a specific part for the 2013 5.3L V8 or do they only sell one part for that one engine? Also, was the oil catch can really as simple as you describe? I read on a Camaro forum a very technical post about needing to run separate lines from each valve cover and splicing into different lines etc. Sounded very daunting. Is there any warranty issues by adding the oil catch can? Can they deny your warranty because of it? Thanks again for taking the time to pass on good info, I appreciate it.

Jim, it is so simple to install a catch can that a child could do it with only a little guidance. I learned early in college from a great prof I had in mathematics.... if there is an easier way to do it, then do it that way.

1) remove engine cover

2) locate flexible plastic PCV tube that runs from rear of driver's side valve cover to top of intake

3) there is a little slider lever on the tube end that connects to the orifice in the valve cover. slide it and the tube can be raised off the orifice.

4) up where the tube enters the intake, back off 5-6" and cut the tube off.

5) use fuel quality 3/8" hose and connect one end to the valve cover orifice and put a clamp on it.

6) run that hose to the catch can inlet and clamp it there, wherever you have mounted it for your convenience. Remember, you have to service the can (drain it), so mount it where you can have ready, easy access to it. Usually along the driver's side fender.

7) from the outlet of the catch can, do the same thing with another section of the same kind of hose. Then run the hose up to the portion of PCV tubing still in the intake manifold.

8) the tubing will fit snugly into the 3/8" hose. Feed it in a couple of inches and clamp it. Watch that you do not clamp too tight and collapse the tubing. Simple firm securement is all that is needed. Use some common sense here.

9) check everything and replace the engine cover.

That is it. No great Popular Mechanics project. All one needs is a screwdriver and a utility or pocket knife. Now they may need to drill a hole or two if depending on where they mount their catch can. Each person will do it differently to fit their individual needs and wants.

Now I wanted to do this part separately. What you use for a catch can is important. Do NOT just use any catch can that you find in a listing on ebay or similar. A simple catch can that works pretty good and is not expensive is this one.....

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/52205/10002/-1

Simple, cheap and somewhat effective. I have this one on now and have captured almost a shot glass worth of oil with it in right around 1000 miles since installing.

Now that I have solid proof that this is a necessity (at least for me), I am moving up to one of these cans.......

http://www.revxtreme.com/rx-catch-can-single-check-valve (the one I am eyeing the most)

Or

http://www.customcorvetteaccessories.com/oilcatchcan.html

DO NOT try to figure out what they are doing with these cans via their install files. These are performance Corvette and such shops and those engines PCV hookups an routings are different than ours. Follow what I described above.

Archived