Talk me out of a Dodge Diesel

I dont know where you are from but diesel is cheaper here 8 months of the year. It is only more expensive in winter months when the diesel refinery shuts down for maintenance and the winter additives go in driving the price up. It's not much more for those 4 months. So the fuel price difference is a wash.

Anyhow, I opted against the megacab. Really nice truck but I don't want something 6-7 years old unless it is exactly what I want. For example I looked at a 06 duramax two nights ago, fully loaded crew cab with 140k (86000miles) for a few thousand less than the dodge. Such a nice clean truck. But I had already looked at a 09 gasser and I really prefer the newer body style now.

Oh and wintersun I am sure you are fully knowledgeable on the differences of duramax generations so saying a lly is different than a lbz makes so sense. Mechanically they are the same motor. The lmm is basically as well, just has dpf.

sent from a top secret location

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Brother-in-law has a 2006 SLT Megacab 3500 w/5.9 HO Cummins and I would trade him right across the board for my 2008 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ with the 6.0 any day of the week. He loves the interior of my truck, but that HO Cummins is just too hard to pass up. Some day i'll get him though.... some day.

I dont know where you are from but diesel is cheaper here 8 months of the year. It is only more expensive in winter months when the diesel refinery shuts down for maintenance and the winter additives go in driving the price up. It's not much more for those 4 months. So the fuel price difference is a wash.

Anyhow, I opted against the megacab. Really nice truck but I don't want something 6-7 years old unless it is exactly what I want. For example I looked at a 06 duramax two nights ago, fully loaded crew cab with 140k (86000miles) for a few thousand less than the dodge. Such a nice clean truck. But I had already looked at a 09 gasser and I really prefer the newer body style now.

Oh and wintersun I am sure you are fully knowledgeable on the differences of duramax generations so saying a lly is different than a lbz makes so sense. Mechanically they are the same motor. The lmm is basically as well, just has dpf.

sent from a top secret location

No they aren't. Diff heads, diff injectors, diff injection pump...those are the major ones. Lots of little parts that are different. Only ones that are close are lbz/lmm...even then injectors are different, injection pump is different as well. Mechanically most of them are different, yes they are close. But most you cannot swap parts from one to another. Especially injectors/heads.

Brother-in-law has a 2006 SLT Megacab 3500 w/5.9 HO Cummins and I would trade him right across the board for my 2008 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ with the 6.0 any day of the week. He loves the interior of my truck, but that HO Cummins is just too hard to pass up. Some day i'll get him though.... some day.

You think a 5.9 is ballsy? Take a rip in a newish duramax.

Oh no, nothing about the performance. I actually owned a Ford 6.4 Tuned / Deleted with the goodies. His truck is the 5.9 which was the last year they made that motor, pre-EPA junk and was super reliable. Think that model year was like 325HP 610TQ (not too shabby of specs). Either way the 5.9 back then would haul just about the majority of travel trailers / boats up a good grade @ 60mph, these new trucks are just getting over the top on power imo. Tune them back some and increase the mileage on them and I would be a happy camper.

Oh no, nothing about the performance. I actually owned a Ford 6.4 Tuned / Deleted with the goodies. His truck is the 5.9 which was the last year they made that motor, pre-EPA junk and was super reliable. Think that model year was like 325HP 610TQ (not too shabby of specs). Either way the 5.9 back then would haul just about the majority of travel trailers / boats up a good grade @ 60mph, these new trucks are just getting over the top on power imo. Tune them back some and increase the mileage on them and I would be a happy camper.

Nice. Spartan?

Nice. Spartan?

Went with H&S, loved the truck it just didn't like the cold up here. Check engine lights almost every time I had to cold-start it in the winters @ work.

Ya PSD's sound like a bag of hammers after -25c, @ -40 they sound like they are going to chuck a rod LOL. My buddy installed a wabasto heater in his made a world of a difference. My Duramax sounds a little rough in really cold temps but always starts awesome if its plugged in. Started in once last year in -40 without being plugged in, she fired right up but it didn't like me for about 30 seconds LOL.

Yeah anymore with the standard 400hp 800+tq I would be happy with stock settings. The problem with the 6.4 was being a short period of production, repairs can get insanely expensive. I ended up switching to the 6.0 gasser since it fires all day long and I had switch to a truck camper so needed the payload vs tow rating. Now that we are no longer hauling toys I watch the sales and hope to get back into a Diesel but really have no need for the big truck atm.

Yeah anymore with the standard 400hp 800+tq I would be happy with stock settings. The problem with the 6.4 was being a short period of production, repairs can get insanely expensive. I ended up switching to the 6.0 gasser since it fires all day long and I had switch to a truck camper so needed the payload vs tow rating. Now that we are no longer hauling toys I watch the sales and hope to get back into a Diesel but really have no need for the big truck atm.

same here man. do i REALLY need a big hopped up diesel?? no probably not, i do tow stuff on the regular...we can afford two vehicles so i picked up the equinox 4 banger to get around town and stuff. The truck is parked mostly, its just another toy IMO..just like a fella owning a vette or camaro...except its 7000 lbs and goes really fast LOL

boy dont grow up, the toys just get more expensive :crackup:

Archived