Sign in to follow this  
Gduck24

2008 NBS Silverado AC blower fan panting, not working

I have a 2008 NBS crewcab 5.3 4x4 with digital dual climate control.

I recently started having trouble with my ac not working right. Didn't think much of it at first as it was almost like a voltage type issue with the fan blower slowing slightly on occasion under different engine loads. Started getting worse, with a lot of sporadic panting, and now very seldom works correctly, sometimes even not at all. Does not matter if its on auto or manual. Seems like right when you start the truck it works strong and correctly for about 3-4 minutes, then it goes to panting and quits. If I turn it to manual and hit the max fan button it will come back on but not always the strongest level. Levels below 4 seem to pretty much turn the fan off. There is an odd light clicking/clunking that I get back in the dash, could just be an actuator motor. Sometime it sounds like a motor that is getting ticked on and off sometimes too.

I did install a new radio a month ago, AC seemed to work fine directly after. I know some of the older silverados could get messed up with the harnesses that you used on them.

I have installed a new blower control module (resistor). This did not fix it. I know there are at least a couple fairly cheap sensors that are involved, but I am leaning toward it being the actual head control in the dash. What do you guys think?

Watch this video, and turn it up. Any help is appreciated.

[media=560x315]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGymxNl9y2w[/media]

I would also check the fan. I am on my third fan in my truck and it is only a 2011.

Does the '08 still have micro-filters for the air intake? Might be plugged, and the fan is starving for air.

Went and got a new fan at lunch. That's what it was! Cost $100 from autozone, but the install is stupid easy. Two screws to pull the cover and then pull a tab down and twist the motor assembly out. I have had a drill or other motors that have done similar on/off kind of actions but they usually completely die and never come back. This was particularly odd because of the continuous intermittent issues over the last couple weeks. Glad I didn't go chasing sensors.

I would also check the fan. I am on my third fan in my truck and it is only a 2011.

What brand were you getting? Under warranty I assume factory parts? Maybe I'll have better luck with Autozone.

Does the '08 still have micro-filters for the air intake? Might be plugged, and the fan is starving for air.

If they do, I didn't notice it. I had a '99 and an '04 and changed or cleaned those on occasion, which seemed to help some.

Went and got a new fan at lunch. That's what it was! Cost $100 from autozone, but the install is stupid easy. Two screws to pull the cover and then pull a tab down and twist the motor assembly out. I have had a drill or other motors that have done similar on/off kind of actions but they usually completely die and never come back. This was particularly odd because of the continuous intermittent issues over the last couple weeks. Glad I didn't go chasing sensors.

What brand were you getting? Under warranty I assume factory parts? Maybe I'll have better luck with Autozone.

If they do, I didn't notice it. I had a '99 and an '04 and changed or cleaned those on occasion, which seemed to help some.

Yea all 3 have been under warranty, still ridiculous though how hard is it to make a simple electric motor today??? Hopefully this one last more than 1 year.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By chapel
      I started off with a search but most were for GMT800s.
      Just yesterday my 2009 Silverado 5.3 started throwing P0300 codes. The only real change that's happened recently is it's gotten quite hot out compared to when I got it over the spring. It's always had a bit of a stumble at idle, but nothing serious.
      I noticed today going up a steep incline under load on the highway, the MIL was flashing.
      Seems like there's a lot of potential answers for this code as well:
      Bad spark plugs
      Bad ignition coils
      Fuel delivery problems
      collapsed lifters
      Crank Variation Relearn.

I was wondering if there's a better way to narrow this down without simply throwing parts at it or bringing it to the shop.
      Any help would be appreciated.
    • By CrimsonArc
      2001 Chevy Silverado
      Over the months I've noticed the AC getting warmer and warmer. Now it is barely colder than outside (which is about 100f).
      Details:
      Compressor cycles on/off; about 3 seconds on and 7 seconds off.
      I have attached a recharge can to the low side plug. The gauge reads~100 PSI (truck is at ambient temp which is ~65f).
      I have parts in the mail to convert my R12 manifold gauge to R134a connectors. I have no high side PSI value at this time.

With recharge can connected to low side valve and with the truck running with max ac (again ambient temp at 65f):
      When the compressor engages, the low side gauge goes from 100 PSI to 5 PSI in a matter of 3 to 4 seconds. The compressor disengages.
      At this time, the low side PSI slowly raises back up to 100 PSI which restarts the compressor shortly after and the cycle goes on...

Any takers on helping me or giving me possible causes (and what to do about them)?

I have a nagging suspicion that someone slapped a recharge can on it and overfilled it. This vehicle is driven by 5 different people; no one fessed up so far... Have to wait for parts to test high side PSI. But I'm also worried that the low side pressure dropped so fast; I feel this is not normal?

Thanks for the help!
    • By Junior11491
      A few days ago I turned the key to start my 2014 Silverado LTZ 4x4(51,000 miles), when it hit the accessory position my AC delco battery EXPLODED under my hood (spewing acid all over, the whole 9 yards). No, I don't have anything extra hooked to my battery at all. Anyway, this blew one of the main fuses coming directly off the battery in which I had to replace that entire fuse board. Bought a new battery, start the truck, radio screen not on. Found that little yellow blown fuse on the passenger side, fixed that. Now, for the life of me, I can not find the source of my last problem which is my A/C  blower motor will not come on at all.All the lights come on the a/c controller by the radio. I figured it would be another fuse but the ones I checked were ok(maybe I'm missing one?). I stabbed a test light in the red wire going to the blower motor and its getting power. It would be hard for me to believe that the blower motor went bad since it was otherwise working fine before this battery failure. What am I missing? Thank you in advance.