So I have had my 2014 SLT Sierra for less than a month now. Just broke 500 miles this past weekend. In the few highway trips I have taken, I immediately noticed a vibration coming from the rear of the truck. The steering wheel feels fine. I notice the vibration in the seats and can notice my empty passenger seat rocking back and forth pretty good. The vibration level varies and is most noticeable between 65-80 MPH. At first I thought it was the roadway or just me as I was coming from a 05' Yukon Denali, which had a much smoother ride. My truck came equipped with the the Max Trailer Package, so again I thought this may have been normal based on the trucks characteristics. After reading this thread, I am starting to doubt that it is "just me". I have a call into the dealer now to schedule an appointment.

I have tried to read as many posts as possible here to figure out what my exact issue may be, but based on the posts, it looks like it could be a multitude of things (transmissions, tires, wheel balancing, drive-shafts, rear-ends, etc.)

Can anyone give me any good advice to help "steer" the dealership in the right direction on where to start looking for potential issues? I just dont want to lose the truck for any extend period of time or have them potentially tear apart my drive-train to come up empty handed.

Here the specs on my truck:

Built in May of 2014

6.2L with a 3:73 rear

Double Cab with Standard Bed.

20" wheels with the stock Goodyears

Thanks for the any feedback!

So I have had my 2014 SLT Sierra for less than a month now. Just broke 500 miles this past weekend. In the few highway trips I have taken, I immediately noticed a vibration coming from the rear of the truck. The steering wheel feels fine. I notice the vibration in the seats and can notice my empty passenger seat rocking back and forth pretty good. The vibration level varies and is most noticeable between 65-80 MPH. At first I thought it was the roadway or just me as I was coming from a 05' Yukon Denali, which had a much smoother ride. My truck came equipped with the the Max Trailer Package, so again I thought this may have been normal based on the trucks characteristics. After reading this thread, I am starting to doubt that it is "just me". I have a call into the dealer now to schedule an appointment.

I have tried to read as many posts as possible here to figure out what my exact issue may be, but based on the posts, it looks like it could be a multitude of things (transmissions, tires, wheel balancing, drive-shafts, rear-ends, etc.)

Can anyone give me any good advice to help "steer" the dealership in the right direction on where to start looking for potential issues? I just dont want to lose the truck for any extend period of time or have them potentially tear apart my drive-train to come up empty handed.

Built in May of 2014

Get rid of the Goodyear's and RF new tires to start

Road force alone may not cure tire bounce and resulting vibration. If the tire is not round RF will not be able to remove the vibration. That is why one needs to find a shop that can properly true a tire and if possible one that will high speed balance on the trk using a strobe.

Even my RF trk Michelins can ride like crap till trued and balanced on the truck. I note that my Michelin sports on my cars are easier to balance and sometimes RF is enough for them. But not the bigger trk tires.

Note to all, even with perfectly trued and on trk high speed balance you will see some vibration in the passenger seat. It will be slight but there. That is the trk going over the road and resulting flex and harmonics...If the steering wheel is shaking or seat moving like heck, find a good shop for truing and balance.

Update: 2014 Double Cab Sierra 4x4 V6 all terrain package 20 in.wheels. Truck has been at dealer for shaking at highway speeds. Can be felt in seats only and passenger seat moves a lot when empty. GM sent out engineer and engineer says within spec. Note: truck has RF balanced Michelins and still shakes. Was told to pick truck up. I'm thinking about taking it to a tire shop instead since GM doesn't want to help. It was at the dealer for 15 days and back and forth phone calls.

Why not get them road force balanced to get all of the vibration out. It doesn't cost that much.

Personally I don't think it's all that cheap in my neck of the woods. $169.00 to road force and $25 extra if they gotta break the bead and rotate the tire on the rim. Possible 269 plus tax isn't really cheap when you consider the amount I have already dumped into this ride and not feeling like I wanna spend anymore. It's very tolerable now and I'm not gonna sweat over this small vibration unless it happens to get worse then it may be the route I will take. Besides I have my stock rims and winter tires that need to go on real soon. If the vibration is worse than my after markets well then the GM dealer will be responsible to have those road forced and fixed. If I recall the vibration was not tolerable with the stock rims but I only drove it a few days before I got the after markets. The saga continues..

My tire dealer did happen to mention that they make these new trucks lighter for better fuel efficiency and more rigid to handle more like a car and they are real sensitive. He said the tires he replaced on my truck probably wouldn't have caused nearly any vibration on an older heavier truck. He also mentioned that low profiles tires and deep dish rims are the hardest to balance because the weights would look horrible on the outside of the rim where they should be to truly balance properly. He mentioned that Porsche and BMW have weights on the outer rim from the factory but they are paint matched and not as noticeable. I read an earlier post here that someone mentioned they have had the weights put on this way and it worked out for him. I don't like the look and will probably put up with this small vibration. When I say its small, I mean its equivalent to the last small car I had with19 inch low profiles. Almost any vehicle I have ever owned with over size rims and low pros have all had a slight vibration of some sort. It's really nothing for me to worry about anymore unless it gets worse. When my ass or foot gets vibrated to sleep again then I will have them road forced. At least my dealer proved out that it was my tires and rims that were and are causing my issue. Still think he will be seeing me again when I put the stockers back on for the winter.

Built in May of 2014

First thing I did was take mine to the dealer and showed him the vibration while out on a drive. The mechanic swapped out my tires and rims for a brand new set off of a 2015 model. He let me take it out for a ride with him and it was smooth all the way thru to 160kph. At least for me It turned out to be 2 defective tires. I'm gonna also hang my hat on and say the stock Goodyear tires and or rims on the 2014 are garbage.

BMW has weights on the outside of the wheels? What year BMW, 1982. BMW like just about everyone uses inside stick-on weights. What a joker. Nobody uses outside weights anymore unless you have a hoopty. Find a good shop to do the 9700 road force. Costs me $25/wheel in Tampa. $100+ tax. Not cheap. Be careful, some shops have road force machines that are not the 9700.

Edited by FL335i

Wow two blanket statements with no research. First the next to last post there are 15s out in 3/4 and 1 tons could it be they have vibration problems I see no truck in his sig. So he could be driving a 15 3/4 ton. Last post people can still get steel wheels and wheel weights on the outside even in these ( modern times) imagine that.

• Like 1

Personally I don't think it's all that cheap in my neck of the woods. $169.00 to road force and $25 extra if they gotta break the bead and rotate the tire on the rim. Possible 269 plus tax isn't really cheap when you consider the amount I have already dumped into this ride and not feeling like I wanna spend anymore. It's very tolerable now and I'm not gonna sweat over this small vibration unless it happens to get worse then it may be the route I will take. Besides I have my stock rims and winter tires that need to go on real soon. If the vibration is worse than my after markets well then the GM dealer will be responsible to have those road forced and fixed. If I recall the vibration was not tolerable with the stock rims but I only drove it a few days before I got the after markets. The saga continues..

What I meant was it doesn't cost that much compared to the aggravation of having a shake or vibration. I think they charged me $20 per wheel.

What I meant was it doesn't cost that much compared to the aggravation of having a shake or vibration. I think they charged me $20 per wheel.

Thanks, I will wait til my next trip to the states if it's only $20 a wheel. I'm sure they must have a road force 9700 somewhere in Bellingham, or Seattle. Not interested in paying $200 plus in Canada.