Two things come to mind....

First, what is the stock tire size?

Second, it definitely seems that the tires in these trucks are "degrading" with use, since the RFV goes up. That is assuming that it was measured properly both times, on a properly calibrated machine, etc. But by the owners comments, the vehicle is better, then gets worse.

I can't believe GM hadn't gone back to the tire manufacturers and said WTF is going on here? Why are these tires going up in RFV?

Something has to be going on here.

The new hunter road force touch self calibrates every 4 hours, it's usually tech error versus machine error although my RFB numbers changed after several thousand miles, same machine same tech, watched him do it both times. The tire is just rubber that looses its flexibility over time and the thermal cycling probably contributes as well.

Can these rims change density or have material flow (elasticity) changing mass locations? Remember they are made in China

What you describe is known as creep, but these are not seeing nearly the radial velocity or temps, Creep is a problem in compressors and turbines with extremely tight tolerances high speeds and high temperatures. We had a turbine compressor touch off at 38000 rpm and obliterate the air end one time not a pretty sight.

Update

Purchased 1/4. 25 days straight at dealer.

2/11 service manager called. Tried 5 more tires to replace the 2 that were not up to GM's spec. Took for test ride and sent pico results to GM.. All did not meet GM's spec's. GM is calling Goodyear to see what's going on. If I'm correct that's 11 new tires that are no good. Feel bad for service manager (great guy) he wants to figure out what's wrong so bad but his hands are tied.

I'M SPEECHLESS

Unfortunately you're going down the road we all know to well. The problem is that the problem is not the tires but GM refuses to look elsewhere. My guess is everyone is get a third order tire vibe on the pico scope which typically points to excessive force variation where as a first order tire vibration is typically dynamic balance or a weight issue moving the tires rotation axis relative to center. I think the problem is in the rear end not necessarily the ring gear though. Possibly poorly machine housings. I'd really like to swap an old 9.5" 14 bolt in and see how it rides compared to the redesigned 9.5".

• Like 1

Talked to my dealer today he said the was a bulliton out about new ring and pinion's, anyone else know anything about this?

There's something janky about these new rear ends. Its odd that after 3 years there still isn't aftermarket gear sets available, your only option for gears outside of the 3 OEM ratios is to retrofit using parts from the old 9.5's which I've been tempted to try to see if it makes a difference but 2.5k dollars is an expensive experiment.

There are some very interesting clues based on what the tire manufacturers are advertising. For example, here is what Bridgestone has to say about their Dueler Alenza Plus that's on my Yukon:

"FEATURES

NEW TREAD POLYMER TECHNOLOGY

Wear performance is improved and backed by an 80,000 limited treadwear warranty

NEW TREAD COMPOUND

Tread is composed of 5% recycled rubber allowing for reduced CO2 emissions

ECO EFFICIENCY

Bridgestone, using the philosophy of continuous improvement, is constantly making our great tires even better, including improving environmental performance. The Eco-Products designation shows this tire has the following characteristics:

• Improved rolling resistance, which helps increase fuel efficiency and reduce vehicle emissions.*

• Reduced tire weight which conserves resources.

• Environmentally conscious materials, such as non-aromatic oil and recycled materials."

"Reduced wear" sounds a lot like harder compound to me.

"Improved rolling resistance" sounds a lot like stiffer to me.

And recycled rubber.... That can't be good.

And who knows what switching to non-aromatics has done.

Bottom line.... Tires aren't what they used to be. And with a much stiffer vehicle like this new generation of GM trucks, well, ..... What can we say.

• Like 1

I own four vehicles that I maintain, five counting my in-laws. I run Michelins on all of them. And, although I have Goodyear Wranglers on my 2015 Silverado CC LTZ 4x4 and have experienced no problems I will eventually replace them with Michelins. I'm sure I'll get at least one contrary response but I have never had any sort of problems with Michelin tires, not a single one. Just saying, Michelins....

• Like 1

I own four vehicles that I maintain, five counting my in-laws. I run Michelins on all of them. And, although I have Goodyear Wranglers on my 2015 Silverado CC LTZ 4x4 and have experienced no problems I will eventually replace them with Michelins. I'm sure I'll get at least one contrary response but I have never had any sort of problems with Michelin tires, not a single one. Just saying, Michelins....

Well, Michelin has always had the reputation of a high end, high quality, luxury, smooth riding tire. Now, lots of brands in all industries have evolved over time, and some of the old status has changed. But Michelin seems to still be there. I put Michelin X-Ice on one of my other SUV's and found them to be very smooth and quiet. (Not the best ice tire, though, but that's a different topic).

So, I would definitely like to try a set of Michelins on my Yukon. Just need to get GM to pay for it....

Good Morning All,

It's been a couple of weeks since I last posted. I had a conversation earlier this week with a GM Director in regards to this issue. Yes, I know, I don't have a truck with a vibration any more but this still bothers me. It kills me every time I see a new person post that they just bought a truck.

Here is a summary of my call, if you care.

1. He was sincerely apologetic to me and all of us that have issues. I will give him credit for his apology as we played phone tag for a week to connect.

2. GM knows they have an issue and a lot of the assumptions on here are correct about frame stiffness, tolerances and a variety of items that can cause the vibrations.

3. He didn't mention the % of trucks that had a vibration, but he did say they sold 600,000 trucks last year. He also mentioned that some people won't notice the vibration but once you are in-tune to it, it is hard to escape.

4. GM has a set process that needs to be followed and it starts with the tires and many times they can resolve it. My guess is that those customers don't ever find this forum as their vibration is gone or tolerable.

5. GM is working with the tire manufacturers to see what can be done.

6. The increase in activity from Customer Service was in fact a reflection of me contacting him. Unfortunately, they seem to have disappeared in the past week.

7. Unfortunately for many of us, the dealer is the face of GM and we are at their mercy. You will hear about GM lying engineers around to solve individual issues. That is part of their protocol if the first few dealer attempts don't work.

Here is my opinion. It's a pretty horrible situation to be in as a consumer! We all have spent our hard earned money on a truck that is extremely frustrating to drive. My recommendation to GM is to be active on all of the forums that are discussing this and post the proper procedure for a customer to follow when they have this issue. Just lay it out the same way I listed my items above. Every consumer would know the exact process they have to follow and what to expect when. They need to get the dealers trained on the same process. I don't think the vibration bothers anyone nearly as much as the lack of knowing what to do.

Toyota is still dealing with a rotting frame issue that has been around for 10 years. If you talk to anyone that has been through the process, they couldn't be happier with how Toyota handled it. Toyota admitted to the issue rather than bury their head in the sand. Toyota reached out to consumers and told them how it would be handled. Toyota than followed that procedure. It's really basic management.

I feel for you that are still having the issues. Those that are bolting clamps and what not to your trucks, I truly hope it helps and doesn't have some future side-effect that voids your warranty.

I hope this helps!

• Like 1

Good Morning All,

It's been a couple of weeks since I last posted. I had a conversation earlier this week with a GM Director in regards to this issue. Yes, I know, I don't have a truck with a vibration any more but this still bothers me. It kills me every time I see a new person post that they just bought a truck.

Here is a summary of my call, if you care.

1. He was sincerely apologetic to me and all of us that have issues. I will give him credit for his apology as we played phone tag for a week to connect.

2. GM knows they have an issue and a lot of the assumptions on here are correct about frame stiffness, tolerances and a variety of items that can cause the vibrations.

3. He didn't mention the % of trucks that had a vibration, but he did say they sold 600,000 trucks last year. He also mentioned that some people won't notice the vibration but once you are in-tune to it, it is hard to escape.

4. GM has a set process that needs to be followed and it starts with the tires and many times they can resolve it. My guess is that those customers don't ever find this forum as their vibration is gone or tolerable.

5. GM is working with the tire manufacturers to see what can be done.

6. The increase in activity from Customer Service was in fact a reflection of me contacting him. Unfortunately, they seem to have disappeared in the past week.

7. Unfortunately for many of us, the dealer is the face of GM and we are at their mercy. You will hear about GM lying engineers around to solve individual issues. That is part of their protocol if the first few dealer attempts don't work.

Here is my opinion. It's a pretty horrible situation to be in as a consumer! We all have spent our hard earned money on a truck that is extremely frustrating to drive. My recommendation to GM is to be active on all of the forums that are discussing this and post the proper procedure for a customer to follow when they have this issue. Just lay it out the same way I listed my items above. Every consumer would know the exact process they have to follow and what to expect when. They need to get the dealers trained on the same process. I don't think the vibration bothers anyone nearly as much as the lack of knowing what to do.

Toyota is still dealing with a rotting frame issue that has been around for 10 years. If you talk to anyone that has been through the process, they couldn't be happier with how Toyota handled it. Toyota admitted to the issue rather than bury their head in the sand. Toyota reached out to consumers and told them how it would be handled. Toyota than followed that procedure. It's really basic management.

I feel for you that are still having the issues. Those that are bolting clamps and what not to your trucks, I truly hope it helps and doesn't have some future side-effect that voids your warranty.

I hope this helps!

So, GM never solved the vibration issue. They just offered a Buy back? You ended up trading the new buy back for a Toyota?

Ran across an interesting article on tire balancing that I thought I would share with you all. It was talking about how important a very good balance it today, in light of the fact that not only are vehicles much stiffer and hence transmit vibration and road noise more, but with larger diameter wheels the unsparing weight has shot up dramatically and that increases road harshness. Plus, lower profile tires have less sidewall to absorb the vibration and road hardness. So far...duhhh. Like we didn't know that.

But what was interesting was they talked about balancing. Yes, Road Force Variation measurements are important to address as best as possible with the particular wheel and tire combination. But the pointed out something I hadn't even thought of. Most modern wheel balances do what is called dynamic balance, which is of course the better balancing technique. It's what we do on all large turbo machinery, including big compressors and turbines. (30,000 hp and more!). But they were saying that with wider and wider wheels and tires, sometimes what balances out perfectly dynamically will leave a significant residual static unbalance! WHOA! Hold the boat. That's a new one on me. Now, I haven't got my head around that notion, and I'm not sure m fully bought in to it. But it would explain a shit-load if what we were seeing is wheels and tires that are being sent out on this super-sensitive trucks with even bit of excess static unbalance.

Here is my point. If any of you are in the middle of going through another round of tire RF at your dealer, and you have a good relationship with that dealer and they are willing to try something, ask them this: after they finish the RF force match (remember, it's not an RF balance!!), and they then f ish the routine dynamic balance, ask them to switch the balance machine to "static" balance mode and take a reading. Don't have to necessarily make any adjustments, but t would be interesting to get some static balance readings from some of these supposed "balanced" wheel/tire assemblies.

And report back here if you can.

So, GM never solved the vibration issue. They just offered a Buy back? You ended up trading the new buy back for a Toyota?

It's quite a few pages back in the thread or you can check out my website to get the details. GM gave me a trade-in allowance for my 2015 that had <5k miles on it. I still lost about $5k on the swap, which was more than the difference in sticker price. I then ate another $7k+ trading in the replacement truck that had <600 miles on it. Check out my site to see what I tried to do to solve it prior to throwing up the white-flag and getting the Tundra. I have traveled cross country the past couple of weeks, but I normally drive more than 1,000 miles a week. My Tundra has given me 7,000 vibration free miles, other than when I drilled a New England pothole and that was resolved with having the tire balanced ($20).

I think it is safe to say that the issue is not solved as everyday there is a new person talking about their 2016 having a vibration issue.

GM did offer up a deal on a 2016 Volt as a concession, as I loved my 2013 Volt. Unfortunately for GM, I'll not be driving a GM product again (other than my 1964 C-10).

I am, in no way shape or form, the spokesperson for GM on this issue. I choose to share the little bit of information that I found out.

Hi guys! Sorry to meet like this.

Just bought a 2016 LTZ CC Tuesday night, on my Wednesday work commute noticed the shaking around 65-75 MPH. Found this thread and others and am super disappointed, hoping for something simple but am fearing the worst.

Brought it in for service yesterday and they took her in today. Will see. While the tech was entering my info I could see all the other customers for the day and there was a '15 clear as day.

"BUY BACK FROM CHEVY FOR VIBRATION PROBLEMS"

Glad to see there is a community here, sad to see my 8 mile odometer truck in the shop already. Will keep everyone posted.

Dealer just called and said road force was high and balanced the tires. Said the tech said this problem seemed to be resolved. But then added that I could not bring the truck back in until I hit 500 miles (at 199) per chevy policy. Anyone else hear of this?

Anyone

It's quite a few pages back in the thread or you can check out my website to get the details. GM gave me a trade-in allowance for my 2015 that had <5k miles on it. I still lost about $5k on the swap, which was more than the difference in sticker price. I then ate another $7k+ trading in the replacement truck that had <600 miles on it. Check out my site to see what I tried to do to solve it prior to throwing up the white-flag and getting the Tundra. I have traveled cross country the past couple of weeks, but I normally drive more than 1,000 miles a week. My Tundra has given me 7,000 vibration free miles, other than when I drilled a New England pothole and that was resolved with having the tire balanced ($20).

I think it is safe to say that the issue is not solved as everyday there is a new person talking about their 2016 having a vibration issue.

GM did offer up a deal on a 2016 Volt as a concession, as I loved my 2013 Volt. Unfortunately for GM, I'll not be driving a GM product again (other than my 1964 C-10).

I am, in no way shape or form, the spokesperson for GM on this issue. I choose to share the little bit of information that I found out.

2106's are having same issue on some of their trucks as well? I just do not understand why there are some shakers and some appear to be okay?

I'm a Volt owner as well. The Volt IMO is the best car GM has ever built, its reliability is bulletproof.