Ran the truck last weekend with the EVA again, still a 14hz frequency vibration around 70 which indicates a road speed (Tire speed) vibration.  Going to tear into the front and check run out on parts up there, see if anything jumps out as I have mostly ignored the front end short of new rotors.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2018 at 7:20 AM, Gofas said:

Wrong video. Sry guys. Hard to tell on that one.

Excuse me for taking so to post a better shake video.

This one it’s easier to see the shake and vibe. The only good thing about it  is that I drive slow now on the highways to avoid the shakes thus saving gas!

I’ll wear these tires out and by new ones and hope it gets rid of it. I already spent much on several road force balances etc.

My truck SUCKS at high speed otherwise it’s doing fine with its clunky drive shaft at slow speeds.

FYI guys,

There is a class action lawsuit brewing against GM. Call the listed number and get in on it now. Something is definitely wrong and GM is trying to cover it. 

MIGLIACCIO & RATHOD LLP

412 H St NE, Suite 302, Washington D.C. 20002
(202) 470-3520

My 2018 ltz 4 door had a shimy in it from 55 mph 75 mph since  it was new. I couldn’t really see it in steering wheel just felt it in the seat. (I thought it was just the road i was test driving it on.) I took it in at 300 miles they hooked it up to the meter and decided it was the tires. They balanced the tires and took it back out for test drive. Came back and it told them to road force balance the tires this time. They rfb them. The vibration was better and the vibration was mainly just between 60-69 mph.  However, they  couldn’t get 3 of the tires within spec on the rfb. They asked me to put another 1,000 miles on it and bring it back. I put 2,000 more on it. I took it back in today, they rfb the tires  (this time all within spec) and it is smooth as glass. There is hope out there for the vibration. 

On 3/15/2018 at 10:51 PM, Bart’s Silverado said:

I fixed mine with a two piece driveshaft kit from "performance drivelines". I further took the 20 inch wheels off and went back to some 17 inch wheels left over from my 2006 Tahoe. Smooth as silk now. I'm hoping it stays that way.

UPDATE: After over 6000 trouble and vibration free miles I think I may have really found two main causes of the Chevy Shake. It is the very long aluminum driveshaft and the 20 inch tires. Just replacing the shaft took out 90% of the shake. Going back to a proven 12 year old set of 17" Chevy Tahoe Z-71 wheels with brand new tires took care of the rest. I hate that I had to spend $2,000 to fix a new $40,000 truck but with absolutely ZERO help from GM, I could not afford to do otherwise. Truck is approaching 9000 miles. Ill check back in at 15,000.

• Thanks 1

On 5/6/2018 at 3:28 PM, BullShark. said:

My 2017 GMC Sierra 4x4 is wonderful if you don’t have to drive it on these third world roads in the great USA. Obviously gas taxes are not going to road improvements.  I went through five sets of tires and many sets of wheels. Downsized to 18” wheels and leave the tire pressures at 28lbs cold. 

Love the trick, the features, the looks but I can’t stand the ride. Looking to get out of it soon but not sure whatnto replace it with. 

I don’t think trucks are made to ride decent any longer. Too much emphasis on roll over ratings and other perimeters.    

Any suggestions of a replacement that will ride smoother on these roads is welcome. 

Good Luck . 

My suggestion: Ram. I know what you mean about the roads.  They're bad everywhere.  After many Fords and several GM's, my last being a 2014 Silverado with numerous "can't fix" problems, I dumped it for a new 2015 Ram R/T. My first ever Ram.  Smoothest riding truck I've ever been in (the smoother ride was the first thing I noticed on the test drive), excellent quality interiors, still uses port injection engine so no direct injection carbon build up problems.  It's had two recalls so far, easily fixed, unlike the seemingly endless recalls on my Silverado. The new style 2019 Rams are out and by everything I've read they drive even smoother. But there are plenty 2018s at $15k off. I just checked back into this forum to see if the vibrations were still an issue.  Hard to believe people are still having to waste time and money on this. I chose not to reward GM for my troubles and took my money elsewhere.

Wish GM would go back to providing the option of either/or rear coil or leaf springs like they did 1967 ~ 1973.  Or, maybe add another category to the Silverado line with coil rear springs.  Maybe call it the City Slicker or Urban Cowboy, lol!  

Chevrolet C-10 pickup.jpg

A new, more modern look came in 1967, along with a new nickname: "Action Line". It was with this revision of the C/K truck that General Motors began to add comfort and convenience items to a vehicle line that had previously been for work purposes alone. The majority of 10 series and some 20 series Chevrolet trucks from 1967 to 1972 were equipped with a coil spring trailing arm rear suspension, which greatly improved the ride over traditional leaf springs. However, the leaf spring rear suspension was still available on those trucks, and standard on 30 series trucks. GMC-branded trucks came standard with leaf springs in the rear, with the coil spring/trailing arm design optional. All 2-wheel drive trucks came with independent front suspension, while 4x4's used a conventional solid axle with leaf springs. 1967 was the only year for the "small rear window" (RPO A10 offered a large rear window as a factory option[7]). The standard drivetrain was a three-speed manual transmission and one of two engines; the 250 in3 straight six or the 283 cu in (4.6 L) V8. Optional transmissions included a three speed overdrive unit (C-10 only) and several different four-speed manuals, the Powerglide 2-speed automatic, or the Turbo-Hydramatic 350 and 400 3-speed automatic.The 292 six and the 327 in3 V8 were optional engines. 10-series trucks came with a 6 x 5.5–inch bolt pattern, the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks came with an 8 x 6.5–inch bolt pattern.

• 4 weeks later...

I bought my truck last week. 2014 SIlverado 1500 double cab LT Z71 5.3l. It had 93k miles and was sold as is with no dealer warranty. I test drove up to 60 mph where the roads allowed around the dealer area and was impressed all around. When I was going home, I felt a shake going above 65 mph. It starts at a faint vibration at around 60 that I only notice now that I'm aware and sensitive to it. Gradually gets worse the higher the speed. It's unbearable and extremely noticeable at anything above 70 mph. It does not change when accelerating, or braking, in D or in N. I noticed it disappears for a bit during hard enough turns. 

Have not had a fix yet. Tried new shocks (bilstein 5100) and leaf spring clamp. The truck does have add-a-leaf that was installed along with the 5th wheel mount that I removed now.

Edited by mk3sang

Try replacing the one piece driveshaft with a two piece shaft from Performance Drivelines. I did and my truck is smooth as silk at all speeds. Re-tuned it can reach triple digits with ease and is smooth there as well. I was ready to trade till I figured out the problem. Now, it's a perfect truck! 

On 2018-07-08 at 9:20 PM, Bart’s Silverado said:

Try replacing the one piece driveshaft with a two piece shaft from Performance Drivelines. I did and my truck is smooth as silk at all speeds. Re-tuned it can reach triple digits with ease and is smooth there as well. I was ready to trade till I figured out the problem. Now, it's a perfect truck! 

This is intresting can you post pics of it?  Id like to hear and see more guys try this 

https://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2016/03/the-mysterious-chevy-shake-is-affecting-pickup-trucks-now-too.html

"GM does not believe this is a safety issue.

Unless it is deemed a safety issue, GM is not obligated to recall the trucks."

Translation: Go pound sand.

So the only way you are going to force GM to fix this problem is not to keep buying these trucks and hoping that yours will not vibrate.   

Edited by pm26
  • Like 2

GMs response to this is a bit surprising to me but....

I've mentioned this before, but I'll mention it again. I believe the GM engineers (GM has an army of engineers) DO know what the problem is that's causing the shakes.  My guess is that it's an expensive fix and that's why shake owners are being blown off.

There are other truck brands out there to buy and I'll be doing my research on them when the time comes to replace my '16 Silverado.

Bought a '17 Sierra regular cab in December...came equipped with factory highway shake (bad).  Got no help from the dealer, did not feel like pouring any time into it so I sold it.