5 hours ago, Mountaineers89 said:

Thanks for the help.  I will call to see how 4wheel parts has been balancing them and if they do or offer road force balancing.  I am not familiar with this, so I dont know what the 15 lbs means or how it would change due to tire size.  Hopefully I can get this fixed.  If they dont do road force balancing would you recommend going to the dealership to have them balance or somewhere else?

It took my dealership 6 months, 7 visits, and hands on training with a Hunter technician (the company that makes the Road Force Balance machines) to get my tires right. You might have better luck than I did with the dealer, but in all honesty it might be worth checking around. 4 Wheel Parts should stand behind their work, however. If they have a Hunter machine, I'd push them to do it for you. Most road force balancings cost around $100 for all four wheels/tires, but its only as good as the tech doing the job. If 4 Wheel Parts can't do it, I'd call around to some local tire shops and see if they can help you out. Unfortunately, its one of this things that are hit and miss, and you're not guaranteed to find a quality balance at a place like Discount Tire or Belle Tire (though you may - again, depends on the staff).

Road force balancing, simply speaking, lines up heavy/light spots on your tires and wheels to minimize as much runout as possible and give you the smoothest ride available. It's measured in pounds, and from firsthand experience with my dealer (along with lots of other posts on this thread), we know the spec for the Goodyear Wrangler SRAs is 15lbs. I'd venture to assume that spec is the same across the OEM tire size, regardless of manufacturer, but a higher quality tire will definitely have less trouble. If you increased your tire size, you increased the amount of sidewall. The more sidewall, the better the tire will be at minimizing vibrations, meaning you might get away with 18lbs or something (just a guess - don't quote me) before you start feeling vibrations. Of course, going to load range C from a passenger OEM tire will make your ride a little stiffer, so you might feel more from that, too.

Wish I could be more help. I was convinced there was a problem with my brand new truck for the longest time, but it eventually turned out (provided my ride stays how it is now) that the GM dealer techs just weren't using the Hunter machine properly. It took 17 Goodyear SRAs to get four that matched my rims in spec.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

How is it that owners of a non-GM vehicle can walk into a Walmart, Costco, or any other tire shop and purchase a set of tires for their vehicles and not have any vibration issues?

God forbid a GM truck owner wear out a set of tires.  Can't imagine owning the truck long enough to go through several sets.  

Edited by 1997SierraSLT
  • Thanks 1

I took a set of 17 inch Z71 wheels from a 2005 Tahoe I used to own and went to Wal Mart and bought the cheapest Goodyear tire I could. I put them on in place of my 20 inch chromed stock wheels and RSAs on my 2017 LTZ. The ride was much smoother, I got better mpg, and they seem to last forever. 17,500 miles and no visible wear. Not sure who makes the wheels now for GM, but to me they are suspect. Ill put the 20s back on when I'm ready to get rid of the truck.

4 hours ago, 1997SierraSLT said:

How is it that owners of a non-GM vehicle can walk into a Walmart, Costco, or any other tire shop and purchase a set of tires for their vehicles and not have any vibration issues?

God forbid a GM truck owner wear out a set of tires.  Can't imagine owning the truck long enough to go through several sets.  

Wish I knew the answer, and I agree. I have, however, seen similar complaints from Dodge/Jeep, particularly on Wranglers (which is what I owned before this truck). My father in law’s old 2011 Ram 1500 had the shakes at one point and, guess what? It had Goodyear SRAs on it. 

5 hours ago, Roscopcoletrain said:

so, is this turning out to be more of a Goodyear SRA issue vs a truck prob? 

For some people. It depends on the truck and the model year. Drive shafts have been the issue before, I’ve read articles on rear axle issues, or rack and pinion angles. I think the 2014 and 2015s had potential torque converter problems and trans flush bulletins. However, I believe MOST people experience shaking of the seats, floor, and cabin at multiple speeds. My shake was always just in the steering wheel at 70mph +, so I might be in the minority. I’ve got a 2018 Silverado LT Z71 Crew Cab 5.3L V8 6-Speed with 3.42 rear axle. Based on this post alone, I won’t be putting any other tire on my truck (after the Goodyear’s wear out) other than Michelin Defender LTX M/S2s, as I do probably 90% paved road driving unless we go up north and hit some trails in the summer/fall (still would consider Cooper Discoveries, though, as well - always had good luck with them). However, I bought this vehicle to accommodate my young family and I intend to hold onto it for 10-12 years, so my position may be different than others. At 31, it’s my first “new” vehicle. 

Edited by Olvim

I won’t be putting any other tire on my truck (after the Goodyear’s wear out) other than Michelin Defender LTX M/S2s,”

Good choice.  I got rid of my oem Goodyear’s at about 30K miles and had the Michelin Defenders installed at Discount Tire.  Side note;  I have four vehicles in the family and run Michelin tires on all of them.  Can’t go wrong with them.  Color me a Michelin believer and a Discount Tire believer as well.  Btw, I don’t own stock in either but of course DT is privately owned.  Anyway, enough said ?...t

On 11/12/2018 at 2:29 PM, Olvim said:

It took my dealership 6 months, 7 visits, and hands on training with a Hunter technician (the company that makes the Road Force Balance machines) to get my tires right. You might have better luck than I did with the dealer, but in all honesty it might be worth checking around. 4 Wheel Parts should stand behind their work, however. If they have a Hunter machine, I'd push them to do it for you. Most road force balancings cost around $100 for all four wheels/tires, but its only as good as the tech doing the job. If 4 Wheel Parts can't do it, I'd call around to some local tire shops and see if they can help you out. Unfortunately, its one of this things that are hit and miss, and you're not guaranteed to find a quality balance at a place like Discount Tire or Belle Tire (though you may - again, depends on the staff).

Road force balancing, simply speaking, lines up heavy/light spots on your tires and wheels to minimize as much runout as possible and give you the smoothest ride available. It's measured in pounds, and from firsthand experience with my dealer (along with lots of other posts on this thread), we know the spec for the Goodyear Wrangler SRAs is 15lbs. I'd venture to assume that spec is the same across the OEM tire size, regardless of manufacturer, but a higher quality tire will definitely have less trouble. If you increased your tire size, you increased the amount of sidewall. The more sidewall, the better the tire will be at minimizing vibrations, meaning you might get away with 18lbs or something (just a guess - don't quote me) before you start feeling vibrations. Of course, going to load range C from a passenger OEM tire will make your ride a little stiffer, so you might feel more from that, too.

Wish I could be more help. I was convinced there was a problem with my brand new truck for the longest time, but it eventually turned out (provided my ride stays how it is now) that the GM dealer techs just weren't using the Hunter machine properly. It took 17 Goodyear SRAs to get four that matched my rims in spec.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

I just went through all this bS. It’s the TRUCK!

eventually you’ll get the shake again.

its impractical to go through all this shit every time you get new tires. Or every few 1000 miles go and get road force balancing!

im on my 3rd set at 50k!  Each time they feel great at first then the shaking is back at 72 mph.

now their newest set of nitros my truck vibrates too!

my last attempted I even told the dealer the dealer to pick the replacement tire that they thought would not shake!

Edited by Gofas

On 11/13/2018 at 7:13 AM, 1997SierraSLT said:

Exactly!

On 11/11/2018 at 2:18 PM, Mountaineers89 said:

I have a 2015 double cab with 35k miles. I got new tires last week. I went from the stock dueller (255/70/17) to BFG KO2s (LT 265/70/17 load C). I never had the shake before, but now it started immediately after the new tires. I took the truck back to 4wheel parts who installed the tires and they rebalaced them. The shake is still occuring (~76mph +) and it seams worse than when I oroginally got the truck back. Has anyone else had this issue when changing tires? Also, my warranty will expire in ~500 miles. Do you think I should take it in to the dealer before the 36k mile warramty expires or just deal with 4wheel parts?

I bought from four wheel parts in Santa Rosa.  Mickey Thompson’s at stock tire size and had the same experience.  Terrible shake multiple visits etc.  I hardly even wore hafeway through the tread before trying another attempt at purchasing a tire at the dealer. Spent too much money dealing with it. Now my truck is shaking again:(

I just traded in my three-year-old 2016 all terrain with the 8-speed and 5.3 double cab. Week before I trade it in I had the tires rebalanced Goodyear Wrangler SRA of course and two of the four tires had issues where they were just going up and down on the wheel balancing machine the technician was amazing as I was not putting new tires on the truck I'm about to trade he bounce them out to zero after about 2 hours and I took the truck for a ride. 

Rides perfect never rode like this before. 

Going back a few months ago I finally had the torque converter replaced and trans flush with the new low viscosity fluid that they claim is the issue with the 4 cylinder 8 cylinder operation and that took care of a certain vibration at around 77 miles per hour but it still didn't ride right and lo and behold it was the tires. 

But like many have said there's so many moving Parts on this truck and for some reason they tune this chassis to be so tight with intolerance of vibration that any little thing any little variance can trigger a terrible oscillation at the higher speeds I bet you if you took a 300 pound weight and put it in the bed of the truck and move it all over a place and took it down the highway you can counteract the vibration but a why should we have to do that and be who the hell is moving 300 lb to figure it out!

I love that truck but as soon as I got on the highway and took a trip somewhere I remembered why I hated it

PS it's not just Goodyear Wrangler issues.  it's the truck.. my buddy has a 16 Sierra Denali with the 22s on it in Ultimate package none-the-less and it does the same thing  (vibration) at around 72 to 77 miles an hour. 

Edited by tonygxp

On 11/18/2018 at 8:22 AM, Gofas said:

I just went through all this bS. It’s the TRUCK!

eventually you’ll get the shake again.

its impractical to go through all this shit every time you get new tires. Or every few 1000 miles go and get road force balancing!

im on my 3rd set at 50k!  Each time they feel great at first then the shaking is back at 72 mph.

now their newest set of nitros my truck vibrates too!

my last attempted I even told the dealer the dealer to pick the replacement tire that they thought would not shake!

I’m sure it is the truck. It seems super sensitive to everything. Mine being a 2018, it has had a few of the bugs worked out, but it’s still very sensitive. It’s been 1,000 miles since the Hunter tech got my tires right and it is still smooth as silk on the highway (again, I’ve never had the cabin/seat/floor shake - just the steering wheel). Its never drove as nice as it does now. I told my dealer and the DMA I worked with the same thing you mentioned - it’s ridiculous to have to do this process every time we swap out tires. That’s why I’ll be putting Michelins on mine when the Goodyears wear out. If it can ride as nice as it does on Goodyears right now, I’m sure it’ll be 100 times better on Michelins. Would’ve swapped right away, but I’m just too stubborn to accept paying for new tires on a brand new truck that came with... new tires already. 

GM gave me a dealer credit for 1000.00   My came with general grabbers and went to Michelins. That was at 19,000 miles, I have 66,000 now ...tires look good but still has shake. I do believe that a lot of the problems come from the "Factory Trained Technicians" That have no clue how to use the road force machine properly....   Even though they will tell you " I HAVE BEEN BALANCING TIRES FOR 20 SOME YEARS!!!! "

• Like 1

I hate to be so harsh but it really starts to wear on you.  

Ive got an appointment to see about another road force balance. Hope it works cause I really dont want to buy another..

I found this article in FB.

it has a mention our truck with ac issues noisy, shaky suspension is a mention. It make s the Colorado sound really bad.

that was the truck I originally was going to purchase. https://www.hotcars.com/pickup-trucks-from-the-last-10-years-that-wont-last-10-more/?utm_source=HC-FB-B&utm_medium=Facebook-Distribution

Edited by Gofas