17 minutes ago, SS502 said:

I'd be upset too....you are certainly justified in your disgust.

Luckily for me (and everyone on this forum), this post was a wealth of information. Everyone’s shared experiences, recommendations, and support were extremely helpful. I hope that everyone is able to get their issues resolved, and being courteous and patient is absolutely the best approach. I’ve been a GM customer my whole life (direct family employment ties) and while I don’t think that’ll change going forward, I will be more diligent and scroutinous about my purchases. I did months of research on the Silverado before I bought it and not once came across the vibration complaints (or this website) before I signed all the paperwork. 

Great community we have here, and I’m very thankful to have found it. 

• Like 2

Another Shaker/shudder/chugger.  i bought my truck mid December.  2018 Denali 1500 with the 6. /w 21 miles has right around 1700 on it when i dropped it off at the dealer this morning.  started noticing a small shudder while cruising home with the cruise set at 65 right around 1k miles. started doing my research on here and found this thread started reading up on the issue.  it got really bad last weekend after driving for a hour or so on the freeway did not tell the wife about the issue and it was bad enough for her to notice from the passenger seat.  my issue mirrored the TSB all the way down.  Tack jumping around 1500-1600ish, not dropping into V4.  cruising at 65.  noticed it mostly on slight upward elevation changes where the little bit of throttle input was needed to maintain speed. 

Now this is where it starts to get more interesting.   i setup my appointment for today.  trying to duplicate the issue on Monday morning it wont do it i tried all the testing listed in the TSB locking it in L7 and it just wont do it.  the only changes are it was colder than normal out here in the PNW 31ish in the morning.  it never had the vibration once on my 15 mile commute Monday, Tuesday in either direction of travel.  This has been something i was able to duplicate consistently up till Monday.  Tried again this morning not able to duplicate it got a little shaky after it dropped into V4 mode but from what i read that is for some reason operating as intended per GM Engineers.  i dropped it off at the dealer mentioned the TSB and let them take a look.  no word back as of yet i will update as soon as i hear something.  

Thanks for all of the fantastic information and help you have all provided.  

3 hours ago, Tilldain said:

Another Shaker/shudder/chugger.  i bought my truck mid December.  2018 Denali 1500 with the 6. /w 21 miles has right around 1700 on it when i dropped it off at the dealer this morning.  started noticing a small shudder while cruising home with the cruise set at 65 right around 1k miles. started doing my research on here and found this thread started reading up on the issue.  it got really bad last weekend after driving for a hour or so on the freeway did not tell the wife about the issue and it was bad enough for her to notice from the passenger seat.  my issue mirrored the TSB all the way down.  Tack jumping around 1500-1600ish, not dropping into V4.  cruising at 65.  noticed it mostly on slight upward elevation changes where the little bit of throttle input was needed to maintain speed. 

Now this is where it starts to get more interesting.   i setup my appointment for today.  trying to duplicate the issue on Monday morning it wont do it i tried all the testing listed in the TSB locking it in L7 and it just wont do it.  the only changes are it was colder than normal out here in the PNW 31ish in the morning.  it never had the vibration once on my 15 mile commute Monday, Tuesday in either direction of travel.  This has been something i was able to duplicate consistently up till Monday.  Tried again this morning not able to duplicate it got a little shaky after it dropped into V4 mode but from what i read that is for some reason operating as intended per GM Engineers.  i dropped it off at the dealer mentioned the TSB and let them take a look.  no word back as of yet i will update as soon as i hear something.  

Do you still get the shakes when you are in tow mode? I too fell smoother performance when weather is colder

Do you still get the shakes when you are in tow mode? I too fell smoother performance when weather is colder
I have not tried the tow mode other than to check the temp on the transmission.

Seems interesting that the ambient temperature could impact the internal system of how the tranny functions. Still don't have a call back from them I'll let you know what I hear and continue to test once the temps come back up

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

After going through what I went through with the dealership not knowing how to balance a tire, and now the first snow driving with my truck on the Goodyear SR-As, I had enough ammo to justify getting new tires.  They are horrible.  

I switched to Michelin Defender LTX M/S, and it is a world of difference.  Quieter, softer, better traction in snow.  You can look at the ratings on tirerack and see what I mean.

I don't blame Goodyear, as these tires seem to be their budget-level tires, and I would guess all tire manufacturers have a comparable product.  But for GM to select them to be put on a $50k truck is wrong.

Screenshot_20190113-094715.png

Screenshot_20190113-094455.png

1 hour ago, ssass24 said:

After going through what I went through with the dealership not knowing how to balance a tire, and now the first snow driving with my truck on the Goodyear SR-As, I had enough ammo to justify getting new tires.  They are horrible.  

I switched to Michelin Defender LTX M/S, and it is a world of difference.  Quieter, softer, better traction in snow.  You can look at the ratings on tirerack and see what I mean.

I don't blame Goodyear, as these tires seem to be their budget-level tires, and I would guess all tire manufacturers have a comparable product.  But for GM to select them to be put on a $50k truck is wrong.

Screenshot_20190113-094715.png

Screenshot_20190113-094455.png

Great choice, that is what we put on our 16 Tahoe, it is an amazing difference in all aspects of driving with the Michelins.

On 1/15/2019 at 5:04 PM, SS502 said:

This is starting to make me wonder if SOME of the blame should be on the tire manufacturers. I’ve read tons of complaints about tires and everyone blames the GM folks. If anything it seems the GM techs shouldn’t have to cover tire manufacture defects yet we expect them too. I only say this because my GM dealership is IMHO VERY attentive to my needs. Should they know every fix? No. Should they be good? Yes but gosh we blame a lot on them. We need to remember that they didn’t engineer these things nor did they live in Mexico where a lot of them were made. My service department is excellent.

Having been an operations manager and have manufactured product for the automotive industry;  I can definitively say that who’s to blame for poor quality tires, depends.  Tires built for OEM’s are built to their spec’s which are very likely different than specs built to for retail market.  And, for critical parts, components, systems, etc, there are usually OEM process and quality control engineers monitoring supplier manufacturing processes.  So, maybe the suppler was building out of spec product or maybe the OEM spec was not tight enough.  I will say though, at least in my line of work, automotive specs were tighter than for product built for retail.  

22 minutes ago, Snoringbear said:

Having been an operations manager and have manufactured product for the automotive industry;  I can definitively say that who’s to blame for poor quality tires, depends.  Tires built for OEM’s are built to their spec’s which are very likely different than specs built to for retail market.  And, for critical parts, components, systems, etc, there are usually OEM process and quality control engineers monitoring supplier manufacturing processes.  So, maybe the suppler was building out of spec product or maybe the OEM spec was not tight enough.  I will say though, at least in my line of work, automotive specs were tighter than for product built for retail.  

I agree...I was more trying to imply that it seems (not just OEM tires) a lot of people have to balance and re-balance and RFB and swap and change various tires before they get the right set or whatever. I think it is a combination of a lot of things, plenty of blame to go around...some people complain no matter what and can never be satisfied.

• Like 1

Update: Finally got the call from GM's repurchasing department and it looks like it is still another two weeks before this is over. I am no longer dealing with the BBB or GM customer service, it is a completely different department that works with the dealership to establish the offer. Just in case anybody was wondering.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ericruiz911 said:

Update: Finally got the call from GM's repurchasing department and it looks like it is still another two weeks before this is over. I am no longer dealing with the BBB or GM customer service, it is a completely different department that works with the dealership to establish the offer. Just in case anybody was wondering.

You are correct, this is who I dealt with on my 16, Repurchase Coordinator, GM RVDC. It dos take quite a while, but they made me a more than fair offer when it was all done.

Edited by JimCost2014

RAM and FORD trucks shake also. Probably Toyota and Nissan as well.

A few Tidbits I came across regarding RAM and FORD trucks...……..

From the RAM forum on a 2018 RAM 1500:

Does anyone know about the rear end / rear body shake at 55 mph + on Ram Trucks?

Was wondering if anyone has had any of the shaking above 55 with their truck? In relation to the rear section, seats, center armrest shaking. Mine does it but I am not so sure if its that bad or it is just the character of the truck on certain types of roads. Lets put it this way, when I drove mine home on the first day I was surprised because my test drive before purchase was 40 and under. The speed limit is 75 on I-40 here and wow is it vibrator / shaker from the seat back..
Any info, input or service bulletins would be appreciated.

From the FORD forum on a 2016 F-150:

2016 F150 Vibration at highway speeds

I just purchased a 16 King Ranch Supercrew 5.5' bed. Out of the gate it was vibrating. Starting at 60mph and gradually getting worse up to 75mph. Have taken it back to the dealer multiple times. They have replaced the tires twice, wheels once, and drive shaft once. While it is much improved, it's still there. Like many other posts I have read, the dealer and Ford engineering now say "the truck is in spec" on the vibration. All I can tell you is that it doesn't ride anything like my '06 F150 supercrew. When asked about the effect of the aluminum body, they tell me that even though they reduced overall weight, they increased weight in the frame. The dealer tells me I'm just feeling the difference of a more rigid truck frame. Truth or hogwash? I'm out of ideas and willing to try anything. You don't expect these things from a 65k brand new truck!

Looks like K2 owners are not alone nor have been with the shaking/vibration issues.

The auto industry has gone to hell. Hopefully those who jump ship will not find themselves hopping from one frying pan into another.

Consumers are paying more and receiving less (in quality) these days.

:flag:

• Like 1

On 1/16/2019 at 10:53 AM, Tilldain said:

Got my Truck back yesterday, after they called GMC back east they where feeling something different than i was and they wanted to check on it.  They ended up performing the flush and fill procedure.  so far after the initial drive home and back to work today.  i have not felt the shudder at all at the highway speeds.  he did mention that GM is putting out a new revised fix that should be available in the first quarter.  for now im happy with the results.  will report back if anything changes.  

On 1/16/2019 at 9:23 AM, Olvim said:

While I agree with you a lot of the blame should be on Goodyear, in my case, as it took TWENTY TWO tires ordered BY THE DEALER from THEIR tire distributor to get four within spec, my truck was nonetheless in the dealership shop for 48 days over NINE different visits with two GM Engineer appearances and work with a District Rep over the first eight months of ownership for what turned out to be.... BALANCING!?! Up until yesterday, they were using the cheap sticky weights, too - you know, the ones they cut to size/weight. They must’ve hired a new tire guy because the OEM weights are now back on my wheels, and my truck finally drives great (here’s hoping it STAYS that way). How this happened and went on this long is beyond me, but the blame is absolutely not solely on the tire manufactures. GM contracted with them to put these piece of shit Goodyear’s on their trucks. That’s their problem, not mine. And all the time I wasted dealing with this in a brand new vehicle is something I’ll never get back, along with all the scratches I have on my rims now from the movement of weights on NINE different occasions. I gave them plenty of chances to get it right (nicely and respectfully, I might add), only to be told “we don’t feel anything” and “the truck is operating as designed.” Bullshit. 

To me, this is absolutely unacceptable, from Goodyear’s manufacturing process, to GM’s lack of customer service, and my dealerships ridiculous hoops and awfully trained techs. I told the dealer at multiple intervals that if the tires were that bad, they should’ve upgraded me to Michelin’s or Coopers by now. I was told by the District Rep that was “legally impossible” due to the Tread Act and all the fallout from Firestone back in the day. After buying two cars from this dealer, I guarantee I won’t be returning ever again. 

Given my experience, I give props solely to the GM District Rep. He upfront admitted something was wrong with my truck when he drove it. Without his help, I’d still be dealing with this issue with the dealer’s service department, who he told me, did NOT believe me when I said there were vibrations. I wrote GM a letter about my experience that included his praise. The guy did his job, reimbursed me a monthly payment for having my truck for so long (34 days straight for one visit), and for now, my vibrations are resolved. 

"the truck is operating as designed". This is a slap in the face to every new owner out there. This isn't the 1950's. That kind of thing being said  really doesn't set well.  Pretty much getting that same story but they are still looking at things and my pickup has the good year eagle what ever... they did find a bad one yesterday.  This whole thing has kicked in my obsessive issue to try and figure out what the heck is going on. Literally weeks of research for me and  found many great posts and videos from so many ppl. I did learn that the company that manufactures, (if i remember right), the drive lines, rear axles etc Is American Axle, and the plant being in Mexico.   Thank you for adding that you took the rep for a drive. That is something I had not thought of. Will be adding that option to my list as this progresses. The saddest thing about all of this for so many ppl is what it is taking away from the rest of owning the vehicle. I love driving this thing. When you find a speed with no vibration even for a very short time, these are the nicest, most comfortable vehicles i have ever been in.  Hope you continue to have things go good for you. Makes me feel better when I hear that someone had had some good fortune on these issues.

21 hours ago, Sierra Dan said:

RAM and FORD trucks shake also. Probably Toyota and Nissan as well.

A few Tidbits I came across regarding RAM and FORD trucks...……..

From the RAM forum on a 2018 RAM 1500:

Does anyone know about the rear end / rear body shake at 55 mph + on Ram Trucks?

Was wondering if anyone has had any of the shaking above 55 with their truck? In relation to the rear section, seats, center armrest shaking. Mine does it but I am not so sure if its that bad or it is just the character of the truck on certain types of roads. Lets put it this way, when I drove mine home on the first day I was surprised because my test drive before purchase was 40 and under. The speed limit is 75 on I-40 here and wow is it vibrator / shaker from the seat back..
Any info, input or service bulletins would be appreciated.

From the FORD forum on a 2016 F-150:

2016 F150 Vibration at highway speeds

I just purchased a 16 King Ranch Supercrew 5.5' bed. Out of the gate it was vibrating. Starting at 60mph and gradually getting worse up to 75mph. Have taken it back to the dealer multiple times. They have replaced the tires twice, wheels once, and drive shaft once. While it is much improved, it's still there. Like many other posts I have read, the dealer and Ford engineering now say "the truck is in spec" on the vibration. All I can tell you is that it doesn't ride anything like my '06 F150 supercrew. When asked about the effect of the aluminum body, they tell me that even though they reduced overall weight, they increased weight in the frame. The dealer tells me I'm just feeling the difference of a more rigid truck frame. Truth or hogwash? I'm out of ideas and willing to try anything. You don't expect these things from a 65k brand new truck!

Looks like K2 owners are not alone nor have been with the shaking/vibration issues.

The auto industry has gone to hell. Hopefully those who jump ship will not find themselves hopping from one frying pan into another.

Consumers are paying more and receiving less (in quality) these days.

:flag:

In my research, have learned that the rear axles built by American Axle is a HUGE problem. Was told they also build the axles for the Dodges, not sure about the fords. If there is a way you can post that on these quotes you added it may be of help to those owners. A simple test I will be doing is pulling off the rear wheels/tires with the vehicle on jack stands and watch the axles as they turn. (with a dial indicator). Just so "I" know. Most of us love to tease each other on the brand we like best, but these issues are things that frustrate us all so bad and helping each other has been the best feeling I have had happen. Have a ford buddy and he even held back from "ripping" on me about this. Thanks for posting this, sad to see this is such a wide spread issue.

On 1/18/2019 at 11:45 AM, Ericruiz911 said:

Thank you for posting this information. I was not aware of such a department. I certainly hope i dont have to get to this point but super great info to have if it comes to that.  LOL, love your quote, Super Shake edition!!! sad that we have to make light on such subjects, but some humor sure helps me anyway!!  Thanks again!!! Hope it all comes thru for you very soon.