I wanted to pass along some incredible information I have found. If you go to you tube and enter "Weber State Auto Dept. you will find some GREAT videos by John Kelley. He is an instructor there. Enter the Chevy shake and you will see some videos and look for his  blog about this. What he and some of his students found floored me. Even more things that I had not heard about. One of those being they tested the rear end by using a dial type torque wrench on the pinion nut and there was ZERO reading. It explains it well please look at it. I would love to meet that guy as he seems to be VERY thorough and methodical on how he does things. That is exactly what we need here. John and some other very smart guys have developed an app. Its on there also, is called the NHV App, for detecting vibrations etc.  I also called the Performance Drive line company in Barstow, Ca that someone posted. Very knowledgeable, friendly and willing to explain things they found and how they build their products. Just wish I could remember the person that posted that info. Thank  you to everyone posting their info, advice and help on here. Has helped me keep my sanity!! Last week I was fortunate enough to have a friend suggest another gm tech to help me. So much better when you can find someone who personally knows and suggests someone that is very thorough and takes pride in their work. Going to see them next week!! Also thank you to those of you who told me to make sure to keep things professional and courteous when dealing with the GM ppl. It is helping maintain a very personable level.

Edited by unhappy camper
forgot to add some information
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, unhappy camper said:

Thank you for posting this information. I was not aware of such a department. I certainly hope i dont have to get to this point but super great info to have if it comes to that.  LOL, love your quote, Super Shake edition!!! sad that we have to make light on such subjects, but some humor sure helps me anyway!!  Thanks again!!! Hope it all comes thru for you very soon.

The repurchase department would be one of the last steps if they are buying the truck back from you. They contact you when everything else has been exhausted and nothing else can be done to make you happy. Many steps to get through before you would get the chance to speak with them.

• Like 1

Hello everyone. I was successful removing the vibration above 60 by switching to Michelin tires and after two sets and a new Hunter balancer, four or five new wheels and then switching to 18” wheels to get a smoother ride it came back. 

I really believe this insane force driving market to larger and larger wheels and lower profile tires is ruining the ride in just about every car. I have a chronic back problem and run my 18” tires at 27lbs to get a bit of a smoother ride. I still get 21 mpg. 

Recently I took a brand new Mercedes GLS 450 with an adaptive ride dampening system. It had 18” wheels on it and guess what? At 65 mph it had a tire out of balance issue. It did have a nice ride dampening system though.

My 2017 Sierra has cost me a fortune trying to make it ride nice over these crappy roads. It just doesn’t cut it. So, between the crappy roads, the large tires and low profile tires we are all screwed and cars will never ride smooth again. I fly anywhere I need to go now over a two hour ride. I traded a 2014 exact same model and packages that road great. 2017 was like getting in a go-kart . GM said it was because of roll over standards blah blah blah. I love the truck but hate the ride. 

After searching online for hours, I've come to the conclusion that my transmission is the culprit of my vibration issue. I get vibration during idle and at highway speeds. I noticed sitting at a stop light, if I throw it in Neutral the vibration goes away but as soon as it goes back into Drive it vibrates like a massage chair... 

Has anyone else experienced this? 

18 hours ago, jagabom said:

Mine did something like that.  If I pushed the gas peddle down a little, It would go away. IE raising the idle up to say 600 from 500.  Others had luck with this.  

Jim

Thanks! I just went to a transmission shop and they think it's engine related. So I'll start with the idle adjustment and install new engine mounts this weekend. 

53 minutes ago, jagabom said:

If you can figure out how to raise the idle without the computer backing it back to where it was, let me know.

Jim

I use a Superchips Flashpaq. Not for performance tuning but to disable the AFM and change tire size. 

I raised the RPM's by 100 and it seems to do better. 

On 1/25/2019 at 11:04 AM, KNIGHT1 said:

I use a Superchips Flashpaq. Not for performance tuning but to disable the AFM and change tire size. 

I raised the RPM's by 100 and it seems to do better. 

Did you raise it using the  Superchips Flashpaq? Did not know it would do that.   I just ordered one. 

Jim

On 12/31/2018 at 5:38 PM, bumtruck said:

New member here--Just bought a new 2018 Silverado 1500 W/T model regular cab long bed. Got on the highway to take it home and it immediately started vibrating at about 63 mph and above,felt it in the steering wheel and the center console module. Doesn't always do it at that speed depending on the road surface texture but it does it more than half the time.

Took it back in for service  with about 200 miles showing on the odometer and they road force balanced the tires and told me to put a couple hundred more miles on it in case the tires needed to round back out from sitting on the dealer's lot,it was manufactured 3/18 and it has General Grabber HTS 255/70/17 tires.

Service writer said if there's still a problem call them and they will order 3 new tires. I asked him why only 3 new tires instead of 4,doesn"t make sense to make sense to me.

He said that 3 of the tires were near high end of limit but 4th tire wasn't and GM won't let them order it. Also looked like they had one of the "junior" mechanics working on it.

I've put 250 miles on it since and there's still a problem so I'll have to call them and tell them to order the tires and probably have to argue about getting the 4th one.

I've read the last 20 pages of this thread so I'm not getting my hopes up that new tires will solve the problem. Any suggestions on how to deal with this if the new tires don't do the trick?

Also noticed that extended or crew cab models seem to be mentioned the most in the pages I've read. Does this problem seem to crop up in the regular cab long beds much ? Other than the vibration problem the truck is pretty much what I've expected for a low end trim model.

Thanx,

bumtruck

;

Got 4 new tires and the vibration is not as severe but it's still there,sometimes it does it over 60 mph on the highway and sometimes it doesn't.

The main problem now is they gave me 4 "new" tires with 3 different manufacture dates. 2 tires have the same date and the other 2 tires have completely different dates.

Originally they said GM would be providing 3 new tires under warranty status and they would try to get a 4th for Customer Satisfaction. I had made an afternoon appointment so I called in the morning to make sure the tires were in. The service writer wasn't sure and said he would call me right back. 2 hours went by so I called him back and he said the tires weren't in.  No problem I said,I'm going to drop the truck off and leave it there and when the tires come in I'll come back later in the week and pick it up after they install them.

About 10 minutes later he called back and said they "cross referenced" and that they have the tires in stock ! So I showed up for the scheduled appointment and they put the tires on. As I was signing the paperwork I asked the service writer if they road force balanced the tires and what the numbers were. He gave me a blank look and looked over at the Service Manager who went in the back and came out a minute later and said they did the RFB and the numbers were 10 or under.I asked if the tech took it for a ride and the service writer said some mumbo jumbo about the tires were installed safely and correctly.

The truck actually rode pretty good on the 15 mile ride home. When I got home  I noticed all the different dates on the tires and also on the service invoice the in/out mileage difference was only 1 mile so the truck never left the parking lot when they had it.

My main concern now is that they just scrounged up whatever tires they could find in the back that were the same brand and size. Possibly problem tires from other new trucks that ended up back on the shelf somehow when they were replaced with new ones. I thought I would be getting 4 new tires with the same date from GM.

Have to make another trip back there now,tell them there's still a problem and that I want 4 new tires that match,what kind of response do you think I'm going to get?

• Haha 1

i have yet to see anyone on here successfully fix the vibration issue , yet a new driveshaft might work for a few owners with twisted or a slight bend in the shaft, but how are these trucks different from the past GM trucks that didn't have this vibration issue, that is the question i have to ask.

And the one big thing that stands out is the engines have changed.  I get a vibration in my truck , but only in the gas pedal not the driveline..

GM has gone to Direct Injection, this is the big tech jump that is causing the vibrations! I'm going to theorize that the engine is out of tune somewhere with the Direct Injection system. Also since the Intake valves are not being washed down with gasoline from a fuel injector, that maybe the pcv system is contaminating  and causing coke sludge to form on the intake valves, further causing disruption to airflow to the cylinder head. 

anyone whose tune and 1970'-1990's era sport bike would understand if the intakes idle vacuum ports are out of balance airflow wise you get bad vibrations at idle 

Edited by flyingfool

2 hours ago, flyingfool said:

i have yet to see anyone on here successfully fix the vibration issue , yet a new driveshaft might work for a few owners with twisted or a slight bend in the shaft, but how are these trucks different from the past GM trucks that didn't have this vibration issue, that is the question i have to ask.

And the one big thing that stands out is the engines have changed.  I get a vibration in my truck , but only in the gas pedal not the driveline..

GM has gone to Direct Injection, this is the big tech jump that is causing the vibrations! I'm going to theorize that the engine is out of tune somewhere with the Direct Injection system. Also since the Intake valves are not being washed down with gasoline from a fuel injector, that maybe the pcv system is contaminating  and causing coke sludge to form on the intake valves, further causing disruption to airflow to the cylinder head. 

anyone whose tune and 1970'-1990's era sport bike would understand if the intakes idle vacuum ports are out of balance airflow wise you get bad vibrations at idle 

Mine has had the shake from the very beginning, 2018 year model i bought in December. In your theory how long would it take for this build up to occur? The frustrating part of it is it is never constant at any speed or manual selection of gears. Also if you are driving at various speeds and on roads that have hills where the trans is shifting up and down increasing and decreasing RPM's would that build up still occur?

34 minutes ago, unhappy camper said:

Mine has had the shake from the very beginning, 2018 year model i bought in December. In your theory how long would it take for this build up to occur? The frustrating part of it is it is never constant at any speed or manual selection of gears. Also if you are driving at various speeds and on roads that have hills where the trans is shifting up and down increasing and decreasing RPM's would that build up still occur?

if it's happened since new, it could be the fuel injection or spark mapping or the variable cam timing mapping in the ecu, which is not quite on point or well tuned, you might have the dealer reflash the ecu with updated software for the ecu , or revert back to a 2015 or 2016 year ecu flash on the computer engine management. 

I think your truck is too new at 2018 to have serious intake valve clogging due to sludge build-up but it will be the project to tackle in a few years. My truck is a 2016, so it was built late in 2015  or early 2016 and I don't have any bad vibs until it goes into V4 mode which is controlled by the ecu. When in v4 my gas pedal has a slight vibration. it could also be the variable valve timing ... 

v4 mode requires special valvetrain in the motor in order to disable the cylinders the lifters or cam have to bi-pass the valvetrain. I've heard this part has failed on other trucks.  could possibly be a weak lifter that operates V4 mode, 

This engine is very complicated , and GM is still updating it with fixes for the 2019 models..

Edited by flyingfool

Was wondering with the vibration in your gas pedal, do you have a V6 or V8 motor ?  Unhappy Camper-- are you saying that you get the vibration at different speeds ?

I'm only seeing it on the highway  at speeds above 60 mph,up to 60 it rides pretty smooth.  I have V6 motor and V4 mode doesn't seem to cause any side effects so far.