For all of the posters here........   an interesting find coming from a Former Ford Guy regarding truck shaking problems :

MrBullz

• MrBullz
  • 2 posts
  • Name:Austin
  • Drives:2019 GMC Silverado SLE
3 hours ago, econometrics said:

Welcome to the GM world! 

Curious what you didn’t like about your new F-150? 

Nice color, too! ??

Long story short, I bought a brand new 18 last September and it was bought back after spending 4 months at the dealership with a problem they couldn't diagnose.  It would shake violently with a trailer hooked to it.  After receiving a replacement it vibrated so bad that the dash shook.  The same dealer told me it was a "normal characteristic" and talked to me like i was a complete idiot.  That was the final straw.  Drove it directly to GMC and they hooked me up with a decent deal and the incentives negated the negative equity.  Much better truck for the same money.  Smoother transmission, smoother ride and comparable power.  I miss the immediate power from the turbos but comfort makes it work out just fine. 

Edited by Sierra Dan

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Bcart944 said:

Mine is back in the shop again..  Vibration, shudder while lightly accelerating and a clunk in the rear end..

The guys who are buying axles and driveshafts... You have to be out of warranty, right?

It's your vehicle, you can do whatever you want to it. They may decide to deny a warranty claim for a failure if an aftermarket part can be shown to have caused the failure.

Now, if you replace the driveshaft, and your stereo conks out, they would have a hard time proving that the driveshaft caused the stereo to die. This is part of the Magnuson-Moss warranty act.

However, they might be able to prove that an aftermarket driveshaft caused transmission output shaft seal failure for example.

It's up to you if you want to go the aftermarket route.

6 hours ago, rpoffen said:

It's your vehicle, you can do whatever you want to it. They may decide to deny a warranty claim for a failure if an aftermarket part can be shown to have caused the failure.

Now, if you replace the driveshaft, and your stereo conks out, they would have a hard time proving that the driveshaft caused the stereo to die. This is part of the Magnuson-Moss warranty act.

However, they might be able to prove that an aftermarket driveshaft caused transmission output shaft seal failure for example.

It's up to you if you want to go the aftermarket route.

I definitely won't be doing ANY troubleshooting myself.  I didn't buy a brand new truck to work on it and figure out what engineers should have figured out long before.  

I'm a mechanic for another brand and kinda have an idea how the warranty stuff works...Every dealer is different.. It's in their discretion.    Thanks for the input. 

Edited by Bcart944

Hey, new to the forum. Definitely have the shake in my 2014 Sierra. After watching videos, good grief, made me feel better about mine. Some of those are bad.

Is it just a nuisance or does it hurt the vehicle long term? I can tolerate it but I worry the shake will cause other problems. Some of you who have had the shake for 100k or so I'd be interested in knowing what other complications you had. Thanks!

Just FYI, I have a 2017 Sierra Denali with 6.2L engine.

I had shake/shudder issues at low and high speeds.  Felt like I would randomly hit a rumble strip, even on smooth pavement.

The issue?

Transmission fluid.

That's right, took it to the dealership, they verified it by a ride with the service manager.  They flushed 3x and filled with a new fluid that takes the shudder/shake away.

Been riding smooth ever since.

I hope this helps.

https://ww7.oemdtc.com/8737/shake-and-or-shudder-during-light-throttle-acceleration-between-25-and-80-mph-40-and-128-km-h-at-a-steady-state-2015-2018-cadillac-chevrolet-gmc

Edited by isalas
Found relevant link

2 hours ago, isalas said:

Just FYI, I have a 2017 Sierra Denali with 6.2L engine.

I had shake/shudder issues at low and high speeds.  Felt like I would randomly hit a rumble strip, even on smooth pavement.

The issue?

Transmission fluid.

That's right, took it to the dealership, they verified it by a ride with the service manager.  They flushed 3x and filled with a new fluid that takes the shudder/shake away.

Been riding smooth ever since.

I hope this helps.

https://ww7.oemdtc.com/8737/shake-and-or-shudder-during-light-throttle-acceleration-between-25-and-80-mph-40-and-128-km-h-at-a-steady-state-2015-2018-cadillac-chevrolet-gmc

You have a 8 speed though right .? Thats a pretty common issue with them . 

On 6/13/2019 at 6:40 PM, Bcart944 said:

I definitely won't be doing ANY troubleshooting myself.  I didn't buy a brand new truck to work on it and figure out what engineers should have figured out long before.  

I'm a mechanic for another brand and kinda have an idea how the warranty stuff works...Every dealer is different.. It's in their discretion.    Thanks for the input. 

GM knows and has known for quite a while what's causing the shakes.  That is evident as the 2019s do not seem to have the dreaded shake (not that I've read or heard of anyways).  GM changed something, or, some things, in the new design.  I have no doubt GM knew what to change to get rid of the issue.  GM ….. screwing their customers.  Thank you Government Motors for biting the hands that feed you.  You suck.

Edited by Willyone

I have read there’s a class action suit working it’s way through the system for 2014 - 2018 eight speed tranny’s.  So, I would be cautious about doing DIY work for awhile.

btw, I had the tranny flush per the new SB with the new Mobile 1 Blue Stripe ATF. My issue was hard shifts in the lower gears.  So far seems to have fixed the problem. ?

13 minutes ago, bowtiemark said:

ok yeah guys this is extremely hard to explain online but the best thing i got is a video, please watch it and anything helps my tranny temp is normal tire pressure normal engine feels normal when stepping on it but it’s just when i cruise like around 30-50ish i hear it 

thanks anything helps! taking it to dealership ASAP while warranty is stillgood https://youtu.be/raDVKR_fcxo

SOLVED FOR ME: I have a 2014 Silverado 5.3L LTZ and I have the stupid shake issue like so many of you. Oddly enough, I also have weird shifting like clonks which the US class action lawsuit only mentions 8 speeds when i have a 6. I road forced balanced the wheels\Tires and I have 3 sets of wheels so I know the vibration was not caused by one set. I tried tightening the leaf springs and it reduced the vibration but made the ride stiffer at lower speed. 

The solution for me was adding a AFM disabler from Range technology. The vibration is gone and the transmission shifting is now smooth. It's only been one day and I am so happy, that I wanted to share.

I do love the GMC Sierra AT4 with a 10sp but don't need the 6.2L so the rumors that 2020 Sierra\Silverado 5.3L will come with the 10sp is great.