Jump to content
  • Sign up for FREE! Become a GM-Trucks.com Member Today!

    In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, AE1M said:

Still looking for a used 2016-2017.  Is this vibration problem in every truck or is it just hit & miss?

 

Bob

 

I have several friends and family with 2014-2018s and I'm the only one that has had vibration issues.  Always test drive up to 75 mph and see if it shakes.  One that does not shake will be smooth even on loud / rough surfaces, the ones that shake will feel awful even on the best pavement.  Walk away from any that dont feel smooth as glass  because there are plenty out there that ride great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, BlackSilverado said:

I have several friends and family with 2014-2018s and I'm the only one that has had vibration issues.  Always test drive up to 75 mph and see if it shakes.  One that does not shake will be smooth even on loud / rough surfaces, the ones that shake will feel awful even on the best pavement.  Walk away from any that dont feel smooth as glass  because there are plenty out there that ride great.

Thank you for the reply, I went to test drive a High Country today and took it up to 80mph and it seemed very smooth.  Is this a problem that develops over time?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/29/2018 at 1:24 PM, AE1M said:

Thank you for the reply, I went to test drive a High Country today and took it up to 80mph and it seemed very smooth.  Is this a problem that develops over time?

 

Mine was there from day 1, and most I've heard about were basically day 1 issues as well that just got worse over time, and/or it was missed during the test drive because they never got up to highway speed.  If you can drive 75-80 and don't feel a shake, it's probably one of the many that dont have a problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My 2014 had the shake from 73-80mph, it would be there some mornings and not others and then the ride home it may be there and it may not. I had Firestone Destination AT P275/55 R20 installed before i picked it up from the dealership new. I changed my tires out 2k miles ago to BFG KO2 275/55 R20 load range D and have not had the shake since. I think its something to do with the air flow/aerodynamics and the tire bounce from the P series tire excites it like a basket ball bouncing, i noticed the shake wouldnt be there if there was a side wind. This is just my evaluation over the last 4.5 years of owning it.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, BlackSilverado said:

Mine was there from day 1, and most I've heard about were basically day 1 issues as well that just got worse over time, and/or it was missed during the test drive because they never got up to highway speed.  If you can drive 75-80 and don't feel a shake, it's probably one of the many that dont have a problem.

My truck developed the shake at 28k miles. Was aware of the problem early on and periodically drove up to 80mph to see if the shake was there. Once it showed up, it came and went randomly.. towing a boat did not help the shakes... it also got a minor shake around 40mph. 

 

To me, it sounds like its a gamble...and a harmonic vibration, which will change with road condition and/or tire balance and/or bad shocks and/or drive line variations...  a critically damped system should not do this... the 2014-2018 platform is not this, imho...  good luck.. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/28/2018 at 6:16 PM, Bart’s Silverado said:

Buy a programmer and program the converter for hyper mileage or economy. See my other posts for more info on riding smooth. I'm satisfied with my Silverado now but definitely will never buy a GM truck again. Corporate is not interested in customer satisfaction at all. If they are they can call me at 931-675-1161 and we will discuss. Bet all I hear is the wind!

Agree @Bart’s SilveradoI'll bet a reflash to a performance tune would clear up my issue.  Does anyone have experience with defending warranty coverage after reprogramming, changing out the driveshaft, tires, rims, and/or shocks?  I would think you'd be SOL if still within warranty.  That's the only thing keeping me from taking the matter into my own hands at this point.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I’m taking it to dealer #2 to check and see what the vibration is about, along with the steering wheel being off center as well as the transmission (clunk, downifting). Dealer said that’s kind of “normal” and it’s probably tranny fluid needing replacing. Anyway I’ll report back with their “findings” 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought a lease turn in 2015 LT Silverado this January. Only 30k on the dash. Everything I wanted. I have brought it back to the dealer 5 times for shaking issues and it's given me some serious buyers remorse. 

 

My last converstion with the head mechanic at the Chevrolet dealership was one where he leveled with me. He stated GM is well aware of the problem and that specific dealership had box trucks full of parts shipped to it along with engineers to try and fix these vibrations.

 

My last visit consisted of a PICO scope for vibration where my truck was considered "well under" the limit for vibration for GM standards. The mechanic told me it's nesrly

impossible to get GM to budge on any legal action. He has sat in on many of the proceedings where the customer just wasted their time and money. 

 

Ultimately, the result of GM engineers and their parts trucks was that the frame stiffening that GM did is preventing "some" of the trucks dissipating the vibrations from normal driving.

 

My vibrations have been much more noticeable at speeds around 40-45 and 70-75 now. Sometimes shimmy occurs when the AFM is trying to kick in. The truck feels like it's tripping over itself with the random driveline clunks and shuddering.

 

The driveline clunks i can deal with as I have driven many GM s with the same sounds for over 160k. The shaking, it pisses me off because I know the dealership has backing from GM to fix the problem.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by Shawn5800

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At 46k going to dealer and ordering new tires which they suggest will end my shake.  This will be 3rd set including the stock SR-a’s.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gofas said:

At 46k going to dealer and ordering new tires which they suggest will end my shake.  This will be 3rd set including the stock SR-a’s.

 

You are just throwing your money away. Please see my other posts. Your problem is driveshaft related. Get rid of that long fat aluminum driveshaft. Go to a two piece shaft if yours is 2wd or a steel replacement shaft if yours is 4wd. I recommend you look up Performance Drivelines in California. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update...Believe my last posting was May 19th or there a bouts.  Contacted BBB just before the 36/36 B-B warranty

expired, OK, they set up an arbitration hearing at their office in mid June in Las Vegas.  GM rep, arbitrator (lawyer), myself,

and an office clerk.  We all had to promise to tell the truth just like in court and all this was recorded.  It was very formal and

a structured outline was followed with statements followed by a Q and A session.  It lasted about an hour and a half.  The

arbitrator then went out and inspected the truck, recorded the VIN and mileage.  OK, one week later got a call about the arbitrator's ruling

and it directed GM to repair the truck to my satisfaction.  Then started GM calls, etc to find a dealer to correct the problem.  4 dealers

would not take it due to workload or ????  Finally found a dealer 100 miles away.  Took it to them 29 days ago and they are still

working on it.  Get updates weekly (tires, shocks, right rear axle, engine mounts, etc, etc).  Will pass along the outcome if and when.

Stay tuned!!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, red70judge said:

Update...Believe my last posting was May 19th or there a bouts.  Contacted BBB just before the 36/36 B-B warranty

expired, OK, they set up an arbitration hearing at their office in mid June in Las Vegas.  GM rep, arbitrator (lawyer), myself,

and an office clerk.  We all had to promise to tell the truth just like in court and all this was recorded.  It was very formal and

a structured outline was followed with statements followed by a Q and A session.  It lasted about an hour and a half.  The

arbitrator then went out and inspected the truck, recorded the VIN and mileage.  OK, one week later got a call about the arbitrator's ruling

and it directed GM to repair the truck to my satisfaction.  Then started GM calls, etc to find a dealer to correct the problem.  4 dealers

would not take it due to workload or ????  Finally found a dealer 100 miles away.  Took it to them 29 days ago and they are still

working on it.  Get updates weekly (tires, shocks, right rear axle, engine mounts, etc, etc).  Will pass along the outcome if and when.

Stay tuned!!!!

It will wind up being the driveshaft. I replaced mine with a 2 piece steel driveshaft from Performance Drivelines and I have a very smooth riding 2017 Silverado LTZ. Love the truck now! Best $800 I ever spent. Hate that GM is too ignorant and too cheap to actually fix these trucks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bart’s Silverado said:

It will wind up being the driveshaft. I replaced mine with a 2 piece steel driveshaft from Performance Drivelines and I have a very smooth riding 2017 Silverado LTZ. Love the truck now! Best $800 I ever spent. Hate that GM is too ignorant and too cheap to actually fix these trucks. 

 

1 hour ago, Bart’s Silverado said:

It will wind up being the driveshaft. I replaced mine with a 2 piece steel driveshaft from Performance Drivelines and I have a very smooth riding 2017 Silverado LTZ. Love the truck now! Best $800 I ever spent. Hate that GM is too ignorant and too cheap to actually fix these trucks. 

I just don’t know if I want to sink $800 in to a brand new truck (in my case). I’d rather take a loss and get a ram truck. It’s all about the principle with me. Either way I taking it to the dealership tomorrow where I bought it and see what they do

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Bart’s Silverado said:

You are just throwing your money away. Please see my other posts. Your problem is driveshaft related. Get rid of that long fat aluminum driveshaft. Go to a two piece shaft if yours is 2wd or a steel replacement shaft if yours is 4wd. I recommend you look up Performance Drivelines in California. 

 

 

15 hours ago, Gofas said:

At 46k going to dealer and ordering new tires which they suggest will end my shake.  This will be 3rd set including the stock SR-a’s.

 

Did the other set of replacement tires not end the shake?  Why do you think the 3rd set will be different?  I fixed mine with a set of take-off wheels and tires from a Yukon, but my problem was the 22" wheels with the bad Bridgestone tires.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I thought if you put truck in neutral and shake stops it’s driveshaft?

my truck still shakes even in neutral. Haha or maybe drive shaft keeps spinning cause it’s connected to the rear axle, duh!

 

I even let dealer service guy pick tire.

they picked Nitto grappler stock size. 

He says they had least problems with shake using these...

Edited by Gofas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Similar Content

    • By Big R ED
      Patient - 2019 1500 LD, 5.3, 6 sp, 7200 miles old, Covid-19 negative.  Symptoms - 2-3 second shutter / shake / rumble, during light acceleration, 30-40 MPH and low RPM.  Happens while both in V4 mode and while in v8 (manual w/ transmission set to L5).  I thinks its the torque converter, but surfing the forum I see this issue mainly referenced to 2015+/- K2s and I'm not sure if they changed the trans in the final years.  I'd appreciate either a TSB # or a link to another posting were I could find the TSB.  I'd like to be able to take to my dealer and say "HERE....READ....FIX" (politely).  Many thanks!
    • By Jamesgierak
      Hi everyone, new to the forum but I’m at the end of my ropes here this is my Hail Mary. So I have a 2016 Silverado crew cab 6.5’ bed 5.3l 4WD 6 speed automatic transmission. The transmission was fully rebuilt at 75,000 The truck has 89,000 miles on it. I am complaining about a shake/vibration of course but I don’t feel as if mine is like most. Mine doesn’t seem as violent as others describe. I’m experiencing a vibration and a noise almost like driving over rumble strip in the road. This problem comes about when you are gentle on the throttle and at a lower rpm around 1200-1500. If you feather the throttle at 55 MPH you can easily replicate the issue. Next is issue number 2 I’m not sure if they are related but my gut is telling me they are, I recently noticed when stopped then slowly take off as in just letting the truck roll at idle of the line I feel like a small wobble/bounce as it kind of rocks you back and forth in your seat. Both issues go away once you give it more throttle. I’ve had the torque converter replaced first once the issue came back I then I’ve  changed the transmission fluid to the updated fluid, rotated the driveshaft 180 degrees and that has been the longest fix for 3 weeks. Any suggestions are helpful and appreciated and thanks in advance
    • By Ravenkeeper
      This truck is my first 4WD/4x4.  So a few weeks ago, I put my truck in 4HI, to drive in the snow, no issues.  Put it back into 2WD, when I got home, and haven't needed it since, until this afternoon.  When I put it in 4HI, it was grind/vibration central, but when I put it back in 4AUTO or 2WD, there is no issues. 
    • By rmc3407
      Hi All,
       
      Realize there are a lot of threads on this but nothing recent that I can find and nothing on a 2019 model.
       
      I have a 2019 Tahoe LT, purchased 08/18, that was a great truck until now. I took it to dealer in 09/19 for oil change/tire rotation at 6,200 miles and felt a vibration upon leaving. I was surprised they could change oil, rotate and balance 4 tires and do a multipoint inspection in 45 min. I thought ok, their balance machine is not right. Vibration turned violent within ~500 miles so I took it to a Firestone tire shop. 2 of the 4 were way out of balance and 2 others were out of balance but to a lesser extent. Did NOT solve shake. Took back to dealer 10/19 at 7,500 miles and complained of shake. They did road force balance and replaced 2 tires. Ran okay for ~700 miles then was back with a vengeance. Returned to dealer 11/19 8,500 miles with same complaint. Ended up doing road force balance again and 2 more new tires. Thing shook as a drove away.
       
      Truck is at the dealer now and I'm dealing with service director who claims per the picoscopre, everything is fine and within spec. Running fine.
       
      I'm going for a test drive with him tomorrow morning. Has anyone had this issue on a '19? Has anyone had any success getting this issue solved? I don't think I could even trade this thing in the way it shakes right now nor do I want to take a bath on it financially.
       
      Has anyone gotten an aftermarket driveshaft? That seems to be a possible culprit although my dealer says mine is fine. New shocks? I'm at a total loss...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Forum Statistics

    222,593
    Total Topics
    2,383,696
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

    211,452
    Total Members
    8,960
    Most Online
    ksstick
    Newest Member
    ksstick
    Joined
  • Who's Online   73 Members, 0 Anonymous, 1,868 Guests (See full list)



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.