Jump to content
  • Sign up for FREE! Become a GM-Trucks.com Member Today!

    In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Recommended Posts

The joys of corporate American selling a decent product with faults and ignoring the thousands of American people and their hard earned money only to look forward and forget the past problems they left among their American population.

 

I wish I had spent more time investigating Ford over Chevy. Although stuck with a Chevy my next WILL NOT be a Chevy.

 

Fool me once shame on you but I will not get fooled again 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Dearmosd said:

The joys of corporate American selling a decent product with faults and ignoring the thousands of American people and their hard earned money only to look forward and forget the past problems they left among their American population.

 

I wish I had spent more time investigating Ford over Chevy. Although stuck with a Chevy my next WILL NOT be a Chevy.

 

Fool me once shame on you but I will not get fooled again 

GM and DOdge both have push rod motors, IMO these are the most reliable engines out there.  Ford makes great power but the design is unreliable and would only lease a ford for 12k miles then trash it.

NIssan is a bit shady and those 350 z motors are on par with Ford crap.. no clue about Nissa truck v8

I would say the next option is TUndra.  but havent researched this truck yet.

either way I believe the best decision is short term leasing or owning more than 8 years. you decide

 

I should also note I have a 2012 ISUZU NPR with the GM 6 speed and this torque converter is rock solid, better than the unit in my 2012 GMC sierra 2500 truck which has a tendancy to howl and squeel at WOT. the NPR ISUZU same drive line is way better   it must be Japanese built  if it fits the K2 truck I recommend ordering it from the ISUZu dealership online, check the part numbers see if they are different from GM's numbers. i bet the quality is better than GM 

Edited by flyingfool
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just wanted to update you guys....l replaced my factory Bridgestone's with Michelin Defender M/S and 90 percent of my vibrations are gone. I had a 2014 bought back due to vibration so I am very familiar with the vibes in these trucks. I had tried spring clamps and replaced the D/S, and the 8 speed has been replaced with mobil 1 multiple time (thats a completely different and very noticeable vibration). I do have the 22’s and something I am going to keep an eye on is the balance that these tires keep. I was going to buy a new Tundra if this didn't fix it but for now the tires have really helped more than anything. I will say on my 14 they tried different wheel/tire combinations that didnt help, but at that point the dealer had thrown so much at the truck that it was to far gone. Im sure this wont help everyone but it sure helped mine. If the tires dont stay balanced I am going to try some of the new black 22’s from the T1 trucks or maybe go to 20s. Glad I dont have to buy a new truck!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

I have never posted to a board like this, however my 2016 GMC Yukon XL has been shaking to the point of scary every time I get over 75mph on the hwy. My kids even get scared when we are driving to the cottage, its even worse if we are pulling a snowmobile trailer or jet-ski. I am wondering if anyone can tell me what if anything fixed the issue so I am not paying for multiple different things if it is only 1 issue. My truck has less than 100K miles and should not be shaking like this, it gets so bad over 77 mph that I must grip my steering wheel differently because my wrist will hurt. Basically I have resorted to driving under 75mph which is not always easy when the speed limit is 70 and many are going 85 in my area.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sounds like you have a rotating imbalance in the front end.  In my opinion, most of these are caused by a problem with the wheel & tire assembly (lost wheel weight, broken & shifted belt in the tire, etc.).

 

Take your vehicle to a reputable shop & have it checked out. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/18/2020 at 4:55 AM, stevejones said:

Sounds like you have a rotating imbalance in the front end.  In my opinion, most of these are caused by a problem with the wheel & tire assembly (lost wheel weight, broken & shifted belt in the tire, etc.).

 

Take your vehicle to a reputable shop & have it checked out. 

Agree.  I’ve had a similar experience.  Turned out I threw the weights off a front wheel.  Btw, been running Michelin Defenders as well.  IMO, best tire out there for trucks.  Actually, run Michelin’s on all my vehicles.  Haven’t had a bad experience with them yet. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The vibrations on mine are not steady.  It may shake hard for a half mile and then be steady for 2 miles, then back to shaking.   It does not mater if in V4 or V8 mode, tow mode,  downhill decent disabled,  traction control disabled, etc.  I would think if it were a wheel, tire, driveshaft imbalance or torque converter issue then the vibration would be steady and not intermittent.  It is like there is a harmonic issue.   I have heard that the factory wheels are not very true.  Wonder if you had two of those on the same axle if they would rotate to the same position and would vibrate until one wheel rotated out of synch with the other to cancel the vibrations?    Do two wheel drives have this same issue?  Anyone replace the full exhaust still have the issue?  Anyone changed the shocks?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Sir Dan said:

My issue was very similar. Intermittent vibes and new rear shocks cured my problem.  One rear shock was completely defective right from new.

I will give this a try.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/20/2020 at 9:13 AM, Sir Dan said:

My issue was very similar. Intermittent vibes and new rear shocks cured my problem.  One rear shock was completely defective right from new.

Was it the "Tenneco" branded Rancho?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Sierra Dan said:

Was it the "Tenneco" branded Rancho?

Nope. Just regular black gm shocks. The passenger side shock only dampened about half its travel then nothing. No resistance and no sign of leakage. We think it wasn't filled with fluid properly and it's probably a widespread issue but people don't usually think about changing out virtually new shocks on a new truck.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Sir Dan said:

Nope. Just regular black gm shocks. The passenger side shock only dampened about half its travel then nothing. No resistance and no sign of leakage. We think it wasn't filled with fluid properly and it's probably a widespread issue but people don't usually think about changing out virtually new shocks on a new truck.

Mine was exactly the same.  Pulled them off and the passenger side was bad; no resistance in the first few inches and then again at the bottom of the stroke and limited/inconsistent in the normal stroke range.  No leaks either.  Appears not properly manufactured.  I swapped out with aftermarket one; no sense in putting the same poor quality shocks back on the truck. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/20/2020 at 8:19 AM, Shu said:

The vibrations on mine are not steady.  It may shake hard for a half mile and then be steady for 2 miles, then back to shaking.   It does not mater if in V4 or V8 mode, tow mode,  downhill decent disabled,  traction control disabled, etc.  I would think if it were a wheel, tire, driveshaft imbalance or torque converter issue then the vibration would be steady and not intermittent.  It is like there is a harmonic issue.   I have heard that the factory wheels are not very true.  Wonder if you had two of those on the same axle if they would rotate to the same position and would vibrate until one wheel rotated out of synch with the other to cancel the vibrations?    Do two wheel drives have this same issue?  Anyone replace the full exhaust still have the issue?  Anyone changed the shocks?  

Hmm, almost sounds like the high speed death wobble usually associated with solid axle kingpin setups such as Jeep.  Harleys had the problem back when they used spoke wheels.  Being there’s several possibilities that could be your root cause I agree with those who suggest going to a good front end shop.  Good luck and let us know ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.