2014+ Leveling Kits

Is the failing ball joints mainly on the upper control arms or on the lower control arms as well? I thought I was fixing the ball joint problem with the cognito UCAs and the CV angles with the diff drop kit for the 3" level kit. I don't see many people replacing the lower control arms, are those not so much of an issue with a leveling kit as the UCA? 
While going with over 2.5" naturally is going to put things at greater angles and more stress on parts the lower ball joints don't end up at nearly as severe an angle as the upper ball joints do, thus why these kits come with upper control arms typically to help those angles and provide a heavier duty ball joint.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Is the failing ball joints mainly on the upper control arms or on the lower control arms as well? I thought I was fixing the ball joint problem with the cognito UCAs and the CV angles with the diff drop kit for the 3" level kit. I don't see many people replacing the lower control arms, are those not so much of an issue with a leveling kit as the UCA? 

Lower control arms as well. When you go over 2.5" it really puts them at a bad angle. The uppers are suspect as well, even with the new uppers. If you think about all the down travel in the suspension that you lose with a 3" kit, hitting the bump stop on the upper arms puts a lot of stress on other parts, especially the balljoints as they try to keep the suspension held together. And with a 3" kit, you'll be hitting those bump stops a lot more often.

Personally that .5" more to go to the 3" kit really isn't worth it, even though they "fix it". Their fix isn't really a fix, more of a not-so-great bandaid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are there any companies out there that do aftermarket lower arms? Just curious as I don't recall seeing any. I will post a few pictures of my truck for reference. I'm sure all brands vary in how much the upper arms correct the angle of the upper ball joint but I feel like the Fabtech's did a really nice job. The first picture is my truck with the Readylift 2.25" level only. The second picture is with 3.6" lift, Fabtech upper control arms, and diff drop. 3da8a6544d104d8a606b54e1603b7466.jpg0ac75c9a6fff7655d3226cefe728fc6b.jpg

Are there any companies out there that do aftermarket lower arms? Just curious as I don't recall seeing any. I will post a few pictures of my truck for reference. I'm sure all brands vary in how much the upper arms correct the angle of the upper ball joint but I feel like the Fabtech's did a really nice job. The first picture is my truck with the Readylift 2.25" level only. The second picture is with 3.6" lift, Fabtech upper control arms, and diff drop. 3da8a6544d104d8a606b54e1603b7466.jpg0ac75c9a6fff7655d3226cefe728fc6b.jpg

Not unless you go with a midtravel or long travel kit to my knowledge

• Like 2

On 8/14/2013 at 3:59 AM, bcazier said:

For those of you that have already installed a leveling kit...

Which did you go with and why?

Do the new aluminum suspension parts impact the install?

I hope to get one on my truck in the next couple weeks but want some insights first.

If you stay on same OEM set of tires and wheels...leveling kit is okay.

on my 2018 Silverado 4x4, i DIY a 2” leveling kit front. The one you put on top of the strut. Easy job, bolt in/bolt out. You just need 2 set of jack. 1 to raise the truck, 2 to raise/lower the front suspension to help you installing the spacer andd taking the strut&coil out. And a little bit of cutting the threads.

truck looks better as leveled.

NOW...i Installed 35s sets of tires...nitto terra grappler with 20x12.5 with -19offset....looks great...RIDE is as smooth as OEM

Drawback with tire/wheels setup. Its impossible to bring the truck for some real offroading. Due to “clearance issues”

My 7 inch Lift kit from Rough Country will installed this week.

9A213AB6-7746-4CC0-B60F-756B33562445.jpeg

Edited by MyChevy18
Add info

On 9/20/2018 at 6:47 PM, langston1726 said:

I’d say you’re good man. You’re replacing the ucas and doing a diff drop. Most guys that run the Motofab 3” don’t do either.  Btw I’ve got some 0-2.5” lift Procomp coilovers I’d consider selling if you’re looking to go that route instead of spacers. I need new ucas to run them and it’s going to be awhile before that happens.

I'm in the process to level out my stock 2014 Gmc short bed z71 4x4 what's my best route to take and what would I need to make it best i can?

I'm in the process to level out my stock 2014 Gmc short bed z71 4x4 what's my best route to take and what would I need to make it best i can?    

I’ve leveled the last 4 GM crewcab trucks I’ve had using a variation of spacers, Bilsteins, and a body lift. I’d say out of all those the best set up is probably running Bilstein 5100s at on the highest setting which should get you around 1.85”-2” of lift and removing the rear lift blocks. This should get you pretty much dead level, all the suspension components should still be happy and your ride will be as good or better than factory. I’m currently running a Rough country 2” level with the rear block removed. It sits about .5”-.75 higher in the front. Most people don’t care for the nose high look but it’s really hard to tell with this set up. You can spend anywhere from $100 to over $3000 on a leveling kit. It all depends on your budget and what you want out of the truck.

My current truck

b2c718c810626bb3d02b77cbc319769c.jpg

2” level/Bilsteins on second level

73779115f3aff982bb8afda85fb9fb9e.png

2” level/1.5” body lift

766c846a45a98592a1cb33546735da34.png

2” level/Bilsteins at second level

de0efcf76b1f57e1aedf874ddb8d0c5d.jpg

2 hours ago, langston1726 said:

Correct. Toyo At 2 Xtreme. I had to trim with the 0 offset Method. I miss that set up

Safe to say that my '15 Sierra w/ a 2" RC kit up front & 2" rear block would need some trimming to run 285/75-17 KO2s?  They're listed as 33.9" tall and my wheels are 17x9 et -6.  

Safe to say that my '15 Sierra w/ a 2" RC kit up front & 2" rear block would need some trimming to run 285/75-17 KO2s?  They're listed as 33.9" tall and my wheels are 17x9 et -6.  

Definitely would need to trim some. I went with 295/70/17 which is about a 33.6" and I had to trim with 0 offset rims on the RC 2" spacer

2" Rough Country kit for me. I just installed it on my 2018, and it was super simple and looks great! The truck is still about 1/4" low in the front but just standing back and looking at it, it looks perfectly level. Made it look like it should have come from the factory! And $50 bucks on amazon. https://amzn.to/2OkYKZv