In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
GMC-AT

2014 Window Tint

I just tinted my windows this week. The company uses Solar Gard and it comes in good, better and best. I went with the better because it was clearer to look through. CT law is 35% front side windows and any amount in the rear windows and windshield header. Can't fully tint the front windshield. I put in 38% on the side and back rear window. I put 20% header on the front windshield. I was told because my windows were already slightly factory tinted, the 38% would round them off to CT legal of 35%. I thought it was a good idea. I feel the tinting is just right but I still have to get use to it. I wouldn't go any darker.

I was told I can't open and close the windows for three days. It takes about a month to fully cure. I was wondering what are people using to clean the inside of the tinted windows. I was told soap and water and a very soft clean cloth.

Edited by PMattras

As far as I know. The only recognized exemption for Texas atleast is through a vision provider. All automotive glass has a 95% clarity film. And if your a corvette owner your front windshield has 50% lol. But anyway. The exemption rules I know of are for Texas alone. Not too sure about any other states.

FL has similar exemptions FYI, I run 30% on the windshield, 5% everywhere else.

I went to an Auto Store and found Windex Auto Glass & Interior which is Ammonia Free and supposes to be Great for Tinted Windows. Has anyone use this and is it okay for tinted windows? What is everyone else using?

http://www.whatsinsidescjohnson.com/en-us/products-by-use/home-cleaning/multi-surface-cleaner/windex-auto-glass--interior.aspx

I had my windows tinted with I think Solar Guard as it has no metal film in it to affect wireless signals, ie.. cell phones. NC has a limit on the front so I put the same rating all around. It gives a darker appearance in the back windows which is great for keeping items out of site in the back seat.

Most tint mfg recommend ammonia free cleaners, so the windex should be fine. Best to ensure it says safe for tint and ammonia free. Also ask the car detail places if their cleaner is safe for tint before they use it.

do you know if they make tints around 25%-30%??

Yes, they do make a 25-30. I have 28% on my front windows since 25% is legal I went looking for something else besides 35%. It is real close to the back tint. I found one place here is Killeen, tx that did below 35% on the front windows.

I'm thinking about taking mine to get tinted tomorrow morning. I've usually got 5, 35, and 50 for the back, sides, and windshield but I'm considering something else besides 5 for the back. It's pretty dark over the stock tint. Does anyone have 10 or 15 in the back? I still want the back dark in the day, but I want to be able to see out of it at night.

I'm thinking about taking mine to get tinted tomorrow morning. I've usually got 5, 35, and 50 for the back, sides, and windshield but I'm considering something else besides 5 for the back. It's pretty dark over the stock tint. Does anyone have 10 or 15 in the back? I still want the back dark in the day, but I want to be able to see out of it at night.

I had them put 20% 3M Color Stable all around on my CCAT.

Not too dark at night and really keeps the interior cooler.

Probably going to have 50% put on windshield

It makes that much of a difference.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

I had them put 20% 3M Color Stable all around on my CCAT.

Not too dark at night and really keeps the interior cooler.

Probably going to have 50% put on windshield

It makes that much of a difference.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

How dark is the rear during the day, especially when the suns hitting the truck? Can you see in and see shadows or figures or does it look pitch black?

Ok guys I'm still new here but I'll share a seceret for those of u that wanna go dark on your fronts. Mine will be limoed tomorrow front doors on back. Here's ur tip go too your eye doctor and have them write a prescription saying that "your photophobic and it's a medical necessity too have tinted windows" they can pull u over all they want and as soon as you hand them your script your on your way. Basically your disabled they can't screw with you. Period tell your doc you get head aches due too bright light and can't see without squinting. I also have a class A cdl and it does not affect that one bit. Have fun.

How dark is the rear during the day, especially when the suns hitting the truck? Can you see in and see shadows or figures or does it look pitch black?

You can see, in as in shadows, if the sun is not hitting it directly.

Otherwise it looks pretty dog gone dark when the sun is hitting direct.

My older brother borrows my truck and he hasn't bitched yet about the tint being too dark.

Before with 5% all around he was always nagging that he couldn't see out at night.

I had mine done today. 50% windshield, 20% front doors and 35% on back doors and rear glass. Driving home tonight was weird. 20% in front is perfect. The 35% over the factory glass in the back made it pretty hard to see out of. The 50% windshield tint is very different and visibility was definitely reduced at dusk. I will give it some time but I'm afraid I made a mistake going 50% on the windshield.

After a week of the tint I wanted to update: 20% in front and 35% on back doors and glass match well. It's not bad once you get used to it. I'm going to have the front windshield tint removed.

I ended up going with 50 on the windshield, 35 on the front windows, and 15 on the rear windows. I'm happy with it, it's pretty dark but not too dark at night. I can stil see pretty well. During the day though if the suns not hitting the truck right the thing looks like a cave. Especially having a white truck lol.

• Like 1

Does anyone have any experience or an opinion on the clear film for the front windshield?

Accessory shop installs LLumar film exclusively. They claim 99% reduction in UV rays and 50% reduction in heat.

Have also heard claims that the ceramics used in the film could reduce cell phone reception. True?

With a black interior in a hot climate, this is something I'm seriously considering for the heat reduction and also to possibly save my dash and leather seats from excessive sun exposure.

Edited by slowtime

Does anyone have any experience or an opinion on the clear film for the front windshield?

Accessory shop installs LLumar film exclusively. They claim 99% reduction in UV rays and 50% reduction in heat.

Have also heard claims that the ceramics used in the film could reduce cell phone reception. True?

With a black interior in a hot climate, this is something I'm seriously considering for the heat reduction and also to possibly save my dash and leather seats from excessive sun exposure.

I got all 6 of my windows done with ceramic tint. 50% on the windshield, and I've heard the lighter the tint the better it works. I haven't been driving too much with it yet but it is pretty hot out here and I've noticed the trucks not as hot as it was before the tint. It's not a magic tint that refrigerates the truck by any means but it does work. I also have a black leather interior so ceramic tint wasn't even a second thought for me. As far as reception issues I haven't noticed any. Honestly I never really payed attention to how many bars I'd have in the truck since it's constantly changing but I haven't had any strange dropped calls or anything yet. Am/Fm I don't use very often.

Ok guys I'm still new here but I'll share a seceret for those of u that wanna go dark on your fronts. Mine will be limoed tomorrow front doors on back. Here's ur tip go too your eye doctor and have them write a prescription saying that "your photophobic and it's a medical necessity too have tinted windows" they can pull u over all they want and as soon as you hand them your script your on your way. Basically your disabled they can't screw with you. Period tell your doc you get head aches due too bright light and can't see without squinting. I also have a class A cdl and it does not affect that one bit. Have fun.

Wish that worked in all states. We can only put clear UV protector on with a DR. note. If you want tint they say "buy sunglasses".

• Like 1