2014 Chevrolet Silverado towing test - Ike Gauntlet

Have any of you actually driven a truck that has 3.08's before? driven it more then 1000 miles? The 3.08 gear is a great option for someone who dosent tow or haul heavy loads and uses the truck as a DD.. it has enough power that its not a dog... it can merge onto the highway safley and has decent pickup... its not constantly shifting when unloaded and im getting 23.2 MPG when i drive efficently, hand calculated.

are the 3.08's better the 3.42's or 3.73's? NO. they are good for the purpose they serve....MPG..

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

True, as I stated in my previous post in this thread.

I've driven my dads truck with the 4.8 and 3.08's thousands of miles and lately I've been driving it every weekend while we work. It's a great combination for its use: dd and light duty work loads. He can get up to 25-26 mpg without trying too hard. And he doesn't like driving his trucks hard so the "calm and steady" approach fits perfectly for him with this set up.

And although I do enjoy driving it on the weekends and every so often, I wouldn't want to own these gears or engine. With him or the family it's great because it kind of makes you be smooth and calm, but it's something that I'm not personally looking for in a truck.

The good thing is that GM does offer a wide range of combinations that fit everyone's needs and wants, as long as we have the choices everything is fine.

You're right in that they don't belong in a truck but GM has to have them available for fuel efficiency reasons. As long as they offer 3.73's and lower ratios we are ok.

But as far as I see it, the 3.08's do appeal to a certain group of people who need the capacity of a half ton but drive a high amount of miles. Also, older people who just cruise in them and want to pay $50k or more for a useless truck. :rollin:

Says the guy w/ the 2WD truck...which is just as "useless" where I live...

True, as I stated in my previous post in this thread.

I've driven my dads truck with the 4.8 and 3.08's thousands of miles and lately I've been driving it every weekend while we work. It's a great combination for its use: dd and light duty work loads. He can get up to 25-26 mpg without trying too hard. And he doesn't like driving his trucks hard so the "calm and steady" approach fits perfectly for him with this set up.

And although I do enjoy driving it on the weekends and every so often, I wouldn't want to own these gears or engine. With him or the family it's great because it kind of makes you be smooth and calm, but it's something that I'm not personally looking for in a truck.

The good thing is that GM does offer a wide range of combinations that fit everyone's needs and wants, as long as we have the choices everything is fine.

Big difference going from the 4.8 to the new Ecotec3 5.3.

Says the guy w/ the 2WD truck...which is just as "useless" where I live...

I live in an area in which I never need 4wd. And the times I could have used it some decent tires and skilled driving saved the day. I would much rather have my engine/gear combo than 4wd around here.

My dad has 4wd and he has only used it like twice in the time he's had it; since 2007.

I live in an area in which I never need 4wd. And the times I could have used it some decent tires and skilled driving saved the day. I would much rather have my engine/gear combo than 4wd around here.

My dad has 4wd and he has only used it like twice in the time he's had it; since 2007.

I could swap out to 3.42, 3.73, hell even 4.10's for maybe, I dunno, $500 or so. $1000 max w/ a tune to go along w/ it. You're not going to be able to just "bolt on" 4WD though. In my case I'll take the 3.08's and fully loaded 4x4 than 3.73's....like I said it has plenty of power. As far as getting an SLT w/ the 6.2 motor goes that would have been nice, and I don't even pay for the gas my company does, but you KNOW that's going to be around 14/15mpg mixed, I'm sure it'll be "quick" though. I prefer my vette motors in vettes....or muscle cars, rather than trucks lol!

I could swap out to 3.42, 3.73, hell even 4.10's for maybe, I dunno, $500 or so. $1000 max w/ a tune to go along w/ it. You're not going to be able to just "bolt on" 4WD though. In my case I'll take the 3.08's and fully loaded 4x4 than 3.73's....like I said it has plenty of power. As far as getting an SLT w/ the 6.2 motor goes that would have been nice, and I don't even pay for the gas my company does, but you KNOW that's going to be around 14/15mpg mixed, I'm sure it'll be "quick" though. I prefer my vette motors in vettes....or muscle cars, rather than trucks lol!

It won't necessarily be a Vette motor. I prefer having the 2WD. AWD would be nice, but not required. I have never needed 4WD where I live. i tow, and use my truck as a daily driver. I get decent mileage on the highway and drive on road or hard packed dirt.

It won't necessarily be a Vette motor. I prefer having the 2WD. AWD would be nice, but not required. I have never needed 4WD where I live. i tow, and use my truck as a daily driver. I get decent mileage on the highway and drive on road or hard packed dirt.

It's pretty much the same engine w/ revised fuel mapping and intake and exhaust - pretty much the same all AL small block. Although I disagree on the AWD, AWD would be terrible. Just pissing fuel out the window and losing turn radius for no reason 90% of the time? No thanks. That's why they axed it on the Denali trucks. I know I'm not supposed to mention my G8 - but it was better in the snow/slush than a 2WD truck, as most 50/50 weight dist. sport sedans of decent weight are. You NEED snow tires on a 2wd truck in my area, not just for traction in the snow, but for cold weather/pavement in general,. which alot of people don't understand. I'd rather have a nice all season/all terrain w/ the utility of 4wd to boot.

I don't get snow here, the places I do go I am confident with 2WD and All Season tires. I know how to drive in Utah snow. The G8 is a nice car,, I liked the rental I had. Weight distribution helps. I want AWD for other reasons. MPG's aren't important to me. I have a lot of power and I am adding more so I rather have traction at WOT launches.

Archived