Tow Mirrors

Really really weird I have read the PI pertaining to the mounting of the mirrors but it does not show up now in ESI. you may have to get your parts guy to get a hold of engineering. I have a 14 with Max tow and trailer mirrors I can measure anything you would like in regards to the mirrors.

Craig

#PI1001 2014 Silverado and Sierra New Model Features and Service Guide is where I've seen it.

Some owners may request to change their original mirror option to the camper mirror option. When a truck is ordered from the factory with the Camper Mirror option — RPO DF2 or DPN, a larger door reinforcement patch is built into the door. This larger door reinforcement patch provides additional support for the added load of the camper mirrors. Additionally, camper mirrors have a fourth mounting attachment bolt that the standard mirrors — RPO DE2, DL8 or DL3 do not use. A truck built from the factory with standard mirrors will not have this additional fourth hole in the door to mount the camper mirrors.

At this time it is recommended to NOT install camper mirrors on a truck built with standard mirrors.

Left and right door part #'s are the same for either regular or tow mirrors but there are two listings for the doors depending on what mirrors the truck has. Its not all the RPO mirror codes for each part number but two seperate listings so they may still be different.

Something tells me though, they will probably end up making just one door and adding a 4th mounting bolt to the regular mirrors, being that the last statement in that quote is "at this time."

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like to thank everyone for their replies. I must wonder if replacement doors are universal and original equipment are not. I guess I will let the dealer install the mirrors (or tell me he can't after trying) and will be sure I put a note on the contract that all dealer added options must be installed before I accept delivery. The tech the GM help line connected me to said a retrofit kit was in the works but he did not know when it would be added to the accessories list. This also seems to indicate the "at this time" is the operative statement in the tech bulletin.

AT the dealer, bought the truck off the lot. Dealer had a truck that was OK with the mirrors on the lot. He had service pull the covers and liners off both doors with the trucks side by side. There was no apparent difference between the two doors (at least none the body shop tech could see). Truck I bought had a recess for the mounting bolt with a knockout in the center where the fourth stud is supposed to go. I guess sometime next week I will know the outcome. I will post the results after I run down 95 to check for stability and vibration.

Great info, thanks! I think I'm probably going to do the swap soon as well. I've realized this thing is such a PITA to fit in the garage it isn't worth the effort...so no more need for power folding mirror.

A couple more questions for those who have them: Is the driver's side dimming? Can they do the reverse tilt? Do they have a puddle light?

They're more expensive than the aftermarket ones for older trucks so I just want to make sure I have all the info before deciding.

Great info, thanks! I think I'm probably going to do the swap soon as well. I've realized this thing is such a PITA to fit in the garage it isn't worth the effort...so no more need for power folding mirror.

A couple more questions for those who have them: Is the driver's side dimming? Can they do the reverse tilt? Do they have a puddle light?

They're more expensive than the aftermarket ones for older trucks so I just want to make sure I have all the info before deciding.

Jon A, if your talking about the factory mirrors,

A. I don't think so (Dimming)

B. No

C. No

But they do have the turn indicator arrow, and (I believe) are heated.

Jon also as was covered earlier they also do not have the memory feature that your power folding ones do. Like Johnny said the top portion is heated but the bottom convex spotter is unheated and manual adjusting. One thing I have noticed about them is the move pretty quick. Almost too quick, a simple tap on the adjuster switch moves the mirror pretty far.

Did the body shop guys look at the connector plugs to see if they were the same between mirrors? I also wonder if swapping them out may piss off the door module without a reprogram to loose the extra functions. That can sometimes be tricky depending on how it is set up in GM TIS (service reprogramming) if the mirrors (RPO) is selectable then no problem otherwise it becomes an issue because most of the time the software is based off the VIN

Craig

No new truck today. It appears that on one end or the other of the ordering there was a mix up on the mirrors. The dealer received the 2013 style mirrors with the round leading edge, obviously they did not fit the pointed leading edge on the 2014 1/2 ton. Hopefully the issue can be resolved soon. I was really looking forward to the new truck.

WOW!!! This whole thing is just becoming more unbelieveable with each passing day. After determining it was just wishful thinking on the part of my dealer that he will find tow mirrors to put on the 2014 1500 I contracted to purchase which he has on his lot, it just got worse. I went to Chevy.com, build and price option to see what it would cost to put together the truck I need to pull my travel trailer. It appears GM has adopted the mindset they had the 60's when Honda, Toyota and Nissan hit the west coast in force for the first time. That is to say, " If we don't make what they want to buy, they will buy what we make". Trying to put together a truck with the "Max Trailering" package the computer would describe the package, display the little spinning logo that shows it is processing, then uncheck the box in front of "Max Trailering". I pushed the "CHAT" button and asked what was happening. I was told the "Max Trailering" package would not load because it was no longer available. I plan to call the dealer first thing to check the veracity of this information. Could it really be that now you can not order a truck with tow mirrors? No How, No Way? After 25 plus years of CKs and Silverados is the only solution to the headaches is spelled "RAM" or "F-150". If anybody knows what is really going on, Please Post.

Thanks for the information, but I have searched GM Full Size every way I can think of and can find no additional information. I have googled BroheimDesigns, the part numbers and every combination of two I can think of and still come up empty. I f you have any additional ideas on how to make contact, sure would appreciate them

Thanks for the information, but I have searched GM Full Size every way I can think of and can find no additional information. I have googled BroheimDesigns, the part numbers and every combination of two I can think of and still come up empty. I f you have any additional ideas on how to make contact, sure would appreciate them

Read through the last page on this. He says he had to drill that 4th hole out. http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=281415

Archived