Collision Alert

Boot

Is anyone else having problems with there collision alert? The truck I bought had this feature, I would not have normally paid for it, but it was on the truck so oh well.

Since I have owned the truck 650 miles worth the alert only popped up the red bar on the windshield once, like the second day I drove it. Now when I have it on it will show the Green car icon on the dash but when I come up on another car/truck fast, nothing happens maybe if I'm lucky the icon turns yellow (maybe). I swear I would have to rear end somebody before I would get an alert. I have it set at the furthest out setting.

Am I missing something or is the camera software just junk?

Is anyone else having problems with there collision alert? The truck I bought had this feature, I would not have normally paid for it, but it was on the truck so oh well.

Since I have owned the truck 650 miles worth the alert only popped up the red bar on the windshield once, like the second day I drove it. Now when I have it on it will show the Green car icon on the dash but when I come up on another car/truck fast, nothing happens maybe if I'm lucky the icon turns yellow (maybe). I swear I would have to rear end somebody before I would get an alert. I have it set at the furthest out setting.

Am I missing something or is the camera software just junk?

Oh no! I understand your frustration when great technology does not seem to work as we feel it should. I would like to look into this concern for you. I do need more information. Could you private message me a brief overview of your concern and your VIN?

Safe travels,

Jennifer T.

GM Customer Care

I have had the same thing happen to me. Have seen the red light on the windshield one time. Car stays green but will turn yellow onec in a blue moon. This was around the 2nd or 3rd day I had it.

Another thread on this said you must have a clean windscreen. At least where the sensor is on the top.

I can see that having to have a clean windshield at all times is going to be a problem with lane departure and collision alert functions, particularly in my part of the world. Do the windshield wipers reach the camera lens?

Do other GM vehicles also use a camera based system or do they use a radar system for functions like these? My MKX uses multiple radar sensors and the collision avoidance (and adaptive cruise control, blindspot detection and cross-traffic alert) work very well indeed unless severely obscured with ice/snow/mud .

I can see that having to have a clean windshield at all times is going to be a problem with lane departure and collision alert functions, particularly in my part of the world. Do the windshield wipers reach the camera lens?

Do other GM vehicles also use a camera based system or do they use a radar system for functions like these? My MKX uses multiple radar sensors and the collision avoidance (and adaptive cruise control, blindspot detection and cross-traffic alert) work very well indeed unless severely obscured with ice/snow/mud .

My 13 Malibu 2LZ has the camera

After I made my comment this morning I was heading home from work and it worked as advertised.

So guess I was never in a situation to where it would go off. And a situatuation did accur.

So it went off.

Mine has gone off maybe three times in the month I've had my truck. Settings are correct, windshield is clean. I'm thinking something is wrong with mine. It works nothing life my wife's 13 Equinox. I don't trust it in my truck at all.

Don't "trust" it? I hope not. Geez people need to just pay attention, stop messing w/ their smart phones and nag screens and xm and pay attention to the damn road and what's going on around them!

Technology like this just makes people worse drivers

Pretty much. I would never want a truck with that option and if I had to get it I'd push that off button each morning. Same with traction control now in the snow. I'm not sure what TC is supposed to do but all it seems to do is cut the throttle at the worst possible times.

More than one person stating that something may not work as intended on a first year production. It was simply some feedback, geez. No reason to judge someone about driving habits. Get a grip.

Don't "trust" it? I hope not. Geez people need to just pay attention, stop messing w/ their smart phones and nag screens and xm and pay attention to the damn road and what's going on around them!

Technology like this just makes people worse drivers

Where I did say I'm not capable of driving without it. Geez some people have all the answers, It is simply a feature that happened to be on the particular truck I purchased and all I'm asking is that the options that are on my truck function properly weather I use them or not.

I'm a very attentive driver and in my 30 years of driving have not been the cause of an accident. The reason I have this truck to begin with is because the last truck I owned got rear ended at 40 mph by an inattentive young driver, maybe if the car she was driving had this feature working properly that accident could have been avoided. It was a tough morning with sun in her eyes and traffic stopped for construction on what is normally a 55MPH highway, she mad a mistake.

At the end of the day people make mistakes and the manufacturers are trying to give us every tool possible to recover from those mistakes, if your logic holds true that we all need to do is just be super drivers like yourself then we could save a lot of built in cost by taking the following features out of our trucks.

-Seat Bealts

-Airbags

-Anti-lock Brakes

-Daytime running lights

-Said Camera systems

-Traction Control

OK sorry, off my soapbox and my truck is going in on Monday to have the dealer look at the camera system. It feels like it's a calibration type of thing to me.

Where I did say I'm not capable of driving without it. Geez some people have all the answers, It is simply a feature that happened to be on the particular truck I purchased and all I'm asking is that the options that are on my truck function properly weather I use them or not.

I'm a very attentive driver and in my 30 years of driving have not been the cause of an accident. The reason I have this truck to begin with is because the last truck I owned got rear ended at 40 mph by an inattentive young driver, maybe if the car she was driving had this feature working properly that accident could have been avoided. It was a tough morning with sun in her eyes and traffic stopped for construction on what is normally a 55MPH highway, she mad a mistake.

At the end of the day people make mistakes and the manufacturers are trying to give us every tool possible to recover from those mistakes, if your logic holds true that we all need to do is just be super drivers like yourself then we could save a lot of built in cost by taking the following features out of our trucks.

-Seat Bealts

-Airbags

-Anti-lock Brakes

-Daytime running lights

-Said Camera systems

-Traction Control

OK sorry, off my soapbox and my truck is going in on Monday to have the dealer look at the camera system. It feels like it's a calibration type of thing to me.

I didn't mean to direct that at you - I was more speaking in general. They keep adding technology (for safety, entertainment and otherwise) and I think it isolates drivers to much and becomes a distraction. Many states ticket you for talking on the phone and/or texting while driving, but the infotainment screens are nearly as bad if not worse in some instances.

I like to keep it simple. Personal opinion is all, although it isn't so much "opinion" as it is fact when you start looking at the number of "distracted driving" accidents that have ramped up over the years.

The same people who follow their navigation into a ditch or pond will be the same ones who ignorantly assume their collision alert system or adaptive cruise control will keep them from having an accident and pay less attention. BELIEVE ME people are dumber than you give them credit for.

• 2 months later...

Have the same issue. Picked up my new Silverado High Country tuesday. Read the book on the collision alert system to provide some guidance. At 70 mph was traveling about a car length behind the car in front of me, no warning.
Did notice the green indicator but needed to get extremely close to the car in front before the indicator turned yellow. Late today the red light flashed on to the windshield as I approached a turning vehicle. The flash was so brief that I almost missed it. Haven't seen it since.
Not sure how this feature got in to vehicles with such obvious issues.

Archived