Collision Alert

Boot

After 6 months of driving with mine, I've come to one simple conclusion: While the Collision Alert is a cool feature, it's not nearly as accurate/polished/precise as in higher-end brands (ze Germans).

It will only warn you in about 50% of quick stop situations. So if you plan on relying on it 24/7, also plan on crashing. This is only my personal experience... I could be wrong & mine's also malfunctioning? (PS: I'm OCD about keeping my windshield clean so that's not the problem!)

ALSO.. don't forget there's 3 different distance/range settings.

Mine works as good as the one in my 13 Malibu and than one works as advertised. I actually like the the dash warning and the seat vibrations when you drift. I think I'm a pretty decent driver. Both features, just keep me honest.

Mike

I have had several people cut me off while driving in the DFW area, believe me when I say that red flashing light works just fine on mine. You can set it to different setting on the DIC depending on how close you want to get to another vehicle before it reacts.

Selecting the Alert Timing

Press the collision alert button on the steering wheel to set the FCA timing to Far, Medium, Near, or Off.

The first button press shows the current setting on the DIC.

Additional button presses will change this setting. The chosen setting will remain until it is changed

and will affect the timing of both the Collision Alert and the Tailgating Alert features. The timing of both

alerts will vary based on vehicle speed. The faster the vehicle speed, the farther away the alert will occur.

Consider traffic and weather conditions when selecting the alert timing. The range of selectable alert

timing may not be appropriate for all drivers and driving conditions

• 1 year later...

Oh no! I understand your frustration when great technology does not seem to work as we feel it should. I would like to look into this concern for you. I do need more information. Could you private message me a brief overview of your concern and your VIN?

Safe travels,

Jennifer T.

GM Customer Care

Yes, I have same issue with new 2015 sierra 1500, it is worthless in detecting vehicles under 2 car lengths! The light does go amber about 1 1/2 car length set at the most farthest setting but with no alerts at all! Have had 2 months and only 1 alert when I was going up a hill approaching a vehicle slowing to a stop sign. Please help GM!

Terry

There are 2 systems.

1) Forward collision alert activates when you are approaching the vehicle ahead to fast.

"When approaching a vehicle ahead too quickly, FCA provides a red flashing alert on the windshield and rapidly beeps or pulses the driver seat. FCA also lights an amber visual alert if following another vehicle much too closely. FCA detects vehicles within a distance of approximately 60m (197 ft) and operates at speeds above 40 km/h (25 mph).

FCA can be disabled with the FCA steering wheel control.
2) Tailgating alert
The vehicle ahead indicator will display amber when you are following a vehicle ahead much too closely.
The steering wheel setting

3) Settings:

The FCA control is on the steering wheel. Press to set the FCA timing to Far, Medium, Near, or Off.
The first button press shows the current setting on the DIC. Additional button presses will change this setting.
The chosen setting will remain until it is changed and will affect the timing of both the Collision Alert and the Tailgating Alert features.
The timing of both alerts will vary based on vehicle speed. The faster the vehicle speed, the farther away the alert will occur.

Mine works as advertised. It wasn't an option I would have ordered but the truck I liked had it and lane departure. It will flash red sometimes if the car in front of me goes into a turn lane and slows. It's not that annoying and I can see how it could help, so I leave it on. I turned off the lane departure when I first got the truck. I turned it back on for fun one day and have left it on ever since. If it were my truck I'd take it in and get it fixed even if I didn't use it. Resale concern.

I haven't played with any settings but I also have not had an alert on my truck when I purposely follow someone close. Only thing that has happened is the green emblem has turned yellow, but no vibrate or red on the windshield. I press the button on the wheel and it is all 3 bars out

The lane departure vibrate is working but nothing for speeding up on someone coming to a stop light or following to close in the hwy

I haven't played with any settings but I also have not had an alert on my truck when I purposely follow someone close. Only thing that has happened is the green emblem has turned yellow, but no vibrate or red on the windshield. I press the button on the wheel and it is all 3 bars out

The lane departure vibrate is working but nothing for speeding up on someone coming to a stop light or following to close in the hwy

Forward collision alert only activates if you are approaching to fast - not when following to close.

Forward collision alert only activates if you are approaching to fast - not when following to close.

That is what I meant, I would come up on them and it would eventually lead to just following to close with the yellow truck on the dash.

I admit I haven't even opened up the owners manual so alert could just be off

That is what I meant, I would come up on them and it would eventually lead to just following to close with the yellow truck on the dash.

I admit I haven't even opened up the owners manual so alert could just be off

If your just following close then the yellow symbol on the dash is all that is supposed to happen.

The red flashing alert/seat vibration etc is for when a crash will occur if you don't act. It only works above 25 mph, so avoid nuisance alerts when stopping in traffic.

Archived