2014 gmc 1500 5.3 1st oil change

Hey guys I have a 2014 gmc sierra 1500 slt with the 5.3 Eco engine! I just hit 1500 miles and wanted to know if I should do a oil change to get all break in foreign material out the engine...???? Dealer said they will change for free for the first 24 months for free but they will prob use regular Dino oil and not synthetic.... I'm a mobil 1 supporter and run rotella t6 5w40 in every thing but my cars... Atvs/boat etc =rotella t6.... All my gas trucks and cars= full synthetic mobil 1.... I know this has been discussed but not detail like this only what intervals.... 7500 for a single change seems to long... Thanks guys

I've heard everything, it seems, on the first oil change for new cars these days. Some still say to change it after 500 or 1,000 miles, which is a complete waste to me. Other say around 3,000. Some say simply change it when the OLM says it's time. Also heard that some manufacturers recommend leaving the oil in until the OLM says, due to the break-in oil having certain additives for a new engine and to get the full benefit of such. I don't know what is the right or wrong answer, but up until the OLMs came to be, I changed every 3-4,000 regardless. Now, I go by the OLM on all my vehicles, including for the first oil change. Seems to work well without the unnecessary oil changes.

Cheap insurance. I did my 2010 at 750 miles and switched to Mobil 1. I did my camaro at about 500 miles. I also added magnetic drain plugs to both vehicles. Amazing what it collects

For example see photo (from June 2012)

IMG_1870.JPG

IMG_1870.JPG

IMG_1870.JPG

IMG_1870.JPG

http://media.gm.com/content/media/us/en/chevrolet/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2013/May/Silverado-May-5/0505-silv-specs.html

This shows all capacitys towards the bottom... It's for regular cab but we are looking only at capacitys!!!! 8.5 quarts!!! Holy cow I was hoping I was wrong and only 6 quarts. 0w20 dextos approved is not cheap....

Mobil 1 full synthetic

My wife has myn some where she loves reading car things lol... I run 5 goodyear stores but all data is not on 14 yet just ordered new subscription update ...

Update: just finished oil change was very simple... 15mm drain plug, and filter nice and easy

Mobil 1 full syn 0w20 8.7 quarts to be exact

K&n oil filter part# 2011 ( IMHO i love them)

When I pulled the oil cap I noticed a yellow tint to the drop of oil up top so I drained it all out and the oil deff has almost a yellow/green look to it... Attached pics

image.jpg

Archived