Things to look out for when picking up new truck?

Chomping at the bit to get the call to come pick up my new Sierra SLT AT 4x4. This is also my first new vehicle purchase and I wanted to get the forum's advice on some of the things to look out for before I sign anything and drive away. Are there any known issues or defects these GM trucks sometimes have? What are some things you would check before signing the dotted line and drive off the lot? I appreciate all your advice and thank you in advance.

- Al

Make sure you look it over with a fine tooth comb for any transport damage, to include the roof of the cab. One thing I missed when I bought mine. It was an owners demo and it had damage on the roof of the cab. I noticed it when I got it home. I had opened the sun roof to ensure I had plenty of garage clearance, that's when I notice it. I called the dealer immediately, it was fixed with out issue.

Mike

Don't get too excited, look over the truck real good... Interior, test all the switches, all the lights..etc.

When it comes to problems.... you're either going to get a good one or a lemon. The likelihood of getting a lemon is very slim...

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

• 2 weeks later...

Yes take delivery during the day and when it's not raining. I walked around mine for about 10 minutes before I took the keys. Looked at the paint and opened and closed all the doors several times. You don't want to be one of these guys that sees a problem after you get it home. I know the temptation is there to grab the keys and run but, this is the time to spot the bad stuff.

I would also make sure you test all the 4x4 bits just to be safe. Go through the whole dial including 4x4 low and just make sure there are no vibrations or odd noises. The truck will seem a little weird at first with the tranny but once you get over 500 miles on it, the suspension and tranny really settle in and it will drive like a caddilac.

Look the body over for dings. I bought a brand new truck in '06 that had a ding in the door, and my BIL bought on this year with on the box side. Also, see if the bumpers are hung straight and the headlights and hood lines are symmetrical.

Many of you have heard me rant on this before but in most cases the weakest link in the whole dealership was probably the last one to look your truck over and that is the wash rack boy!

Very good advice not to take delivery at night! Look for any scratch marks. Make sure the seats have no marks/rips on them from somone getting in it with a screwdriver in their back pocket (this happened to me once and made a scratch on leather seat). Check wheels and make sure the wash rake boy has not rubbed them on a curb.

Look paint over good and make sure somone with a buffer has not attacked your new baby. Maybe they had to buff out a problem they caused. Maybe even look for overspray. Give it a good look over...........

I agree with the other posts regarding onsite detail crews. In the past, I have taken delivery with zero cosmetic prep from the dealer. I have them remove the protective wrap at delivery and then bring it to my trusted detailer to avoid swirl marks from dirty sponges. Also, make sure they don't apply any dealer badging or stickers.

Archived