Oil catch can?

• 1 year later...

Just to throw my 2 cents out there, I installed the elite e2 catch can a couple weeks ago. I was already prepared to have a hissing noise after reading some of the comments.

Im very OCD with weird noises, so I was listening intently and there was a loud hiss when it high idled and a soft gurgling/hissing noise when idling at normal RPMs.

I went ahead and replaced the hoses with gates 400psi transmission cooler hose from Napa, and it quieted it down significantly but it is still there if you are really trying to hear it, it’s more than likely just the air going through the can itself. It was well worth the $20 and 10 minutes or so to swap the hoses out if the noise bothers you like it did me.

Just to throw my 2 cents out there, I installed the elite e2 catch can a couple weeks ago. I was already prepared to have a hissing noise after reading some of the comments.

Im very OCD with weird noises, so I was listening intently and there was a loud hiss when it high idled and a soft gurgling/hissing noise when idling at normal RPMs.

I went ahead and replaced the hoses with gates 400psi transmission cooler hose from Napa, and it quieted it down significantly but it is still there if you are really trying to hear it, it’s more than likely just the air going through the can itself. It was well worth the $20 and 10 minutes or so to swap the hoses out if the noise bothers you like it did me.

What year truck? If a 19+ did it have the new mounting hardware?

Ryan B.

• 1 month later...

I spent a lot of time reading. UPR single port catch is well made can but when mounted there is idle hesitation and no hesitation when removed. Double-checked all quick connects and drain valves, I cannot hear any hissing. Replugged at least twice. It is brand new so quick connects seem working correctly. I see that can exit hose has a check valve inline but from my knowledge there is no need for a check valve on the naturally-aspirated engines, they typically do not harm but my simple test (I get it is non-scientific) I blew through the UPR hose with check valve and same length fuel line of a same ID and I feel some resistance in the UPR hose and none at all in the regular Gates Barricade piece. 

Happy Friday.

• 7 months later...

Well as much as I love my Sierra, I had a #7 lifter collapse on my 5.3L direct injection at almost 99,000 miles due to carbon buildup, the cam also had some damage.

I had a low mileage (45,000) engine installed from another vehicle. Three year warranty on labor and the motor if it fails before that. The engine was flushed and cleaned, I was told that it should be flushed at least once a year and to use high octane to prevent or lessen carbon buildup. I installed an AFM disabler a K-Motor catch can to possibly help prevent or at least help get some more longevity out of the engine. It just aggravates me that I routinely maintain my Sierra and still had this happen, the truck is almost like new. 
It is a shame, otherwise the truck is awesome.  
Has anyone noticed if their engine has had a longer life with the catch can once it was installed? I'm not sure if it will help, but at this point I figure it can't hurt. 

19 hours ago, SamSin said:

Well as much as I love my Sierra, I had a #7 lifter collapse on my 5.3L direct injection at almost 99,000 miles due to carbon buildup, the cam also had some damage.

I had a low mileage (45,000) engine installed from another vehicle. Three year warranty on labor and the motor if it fails before that. The engine was flushed and cleaned, I was told that it should be flushed at least once a year and to use high octane to prevent or lessen carbon buildup. I installed an AFM disabler a K-Motor catch can to possibly help prevent or at least help get some more longevity out of the engine. It just aggravates me that I routinely maintain my Sierra and still had this happen, the truck is almost like new. 
It is a shame, otherwise the truck is awesome.  
Has anyone noticed if their engine has had a longer life with the catch can once it was installed? I'm not sure if it will help, but at this point I figure it can't hurt. 

what oil do you use in this engine?